Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Ag Science Before/After **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

woopah92 wrote: »
    Yeah that's the exact same as us. But that's still only 1 project, the Ag science project ;)

Just record what went on the farm in as much detail as possible. Some of the real farmers did it on a day by day basis.

Twud only take a few minutes everyday to write down what ya did during the day, be handy out, wouldn't mind being able to do the project again, would do it a lot better 2nd time around ,,,pity I didn't join boards sooner to get some tips!

eoinoc2509 wrote: »
    I do it

What's it like, hard,easy? Was looking at the papers on examinations today and it didn't look to bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Did ye make it up or did ye actually go to a farm every month to see what happens?

Oh well we all live on farms so we just did our own farms :P I did mine week by week and so did others, but some people just did month by month :)
    Like we documented an account of what happens on a typical day each week like the daily routine and then we put in anything else extra that happened throughout the week or month e.g herd test, sick animals etc ! And every month our teacher told us to take a specific topic and talk about it in detail like strip grazing or dosing cattle and stuff ! I love farming so I loved doing this :D

200c200c wrote: »
    Oh well we all live on farms so we just did our own farms :P I did mine week by week and so did others, but some people just did month by month :)
    Like we documented an account of what happens on a typical day each week like the daily routine and then we put in anything else extra that happened throughout the week or month e.g herd test, sick animals etc ! And every month our teacher told us to take a specific topic and talk about it in detail like strip grazing or dosing cattle and stuff ! I love farming so I loved doing this :D

Would have loved it meself, as I also love my farming ! You goin doin ag next year seen as you love the aul farming?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eoinoc2509

What's it like, hard,easy? Was looking at the papers on examinations today and it didn't look to bad?

Yeah its alright but its very boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

Twud only take a few minutes everyday to write down what ya did during the day, be handy out, wouldn't mind being able to do the project again, would do it a lot better 2nd time around ,,,pity I didn't join boards sooner to get some tips!

I'm just lucky my sister married a farmer! Without that I wouldn't have been able to do my project :p

Yeah its alright but its very boring

Handy points?

woopah92 wrote: »
    I'm just lucky my sister married a farmer! Without that I wouldn't have been able to do my project :p

Have spent all my life living on a farm, and went out helping the father as soon as I could walk, and when I wasn't out helping him I had my own toy farm to work on haha

Would have loved it meself, as I also love my farming ! You goin doin ag next year seen as you love the aul farming?

Ah no I love it as a hobbie but never as a career !! You get nothing out of it only a bit of enjoyment , theres barely any profit involved :P I'll always have bullocks of my own though ! I own 4 of my own at the moment :)

Handy points?

Yeah you do a project worth 20% but there are very few teachers that teach it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭diarmo06

Such a mountain of experiments, anybody got any tips on how to get through them, or even a list of them would be great aha.... Help :'(

Ah no I love it as a hobbie but never as a career !! You get nothing out of it only a bit of enjoyment , theres barely any profit involved :P I'll always have bullocks of my own though ! I own 4 of my own at the moment :)
    I know what you mean, be the best job in the world if you could make a profit out of it. A lot of hardship, hard work and little pay,,if only ya got payed by the hour for farming :O I really enjoy it though so I'm goin doing ag next year

Yeah you do a project worth 20% but there are very few teachers that teach it

Less than a 100 people do it every year. Is the project similar to ag Scince ? Or is it just like watching beef and milk prices and the like?

I know what you mean, be the best job in the world if you could make a profit out of it. A lot of hardship, hard work and little pay,,if only ya got payed by the hour for farming :O I really enjoy it though so I'm goin doing ag next year
    Too much hassle like working in all weather and at all hours of the day and night ! Where are you doing it ? The only profit is if you have a huge scale farm but then its not the same because its just like mass production with no attention to the animals and not the same feeling either

diarmo06 wrote: »
    Such a mountain of experiments, anybody got any tips on how to get through them, or even a list of them would be great aha.... Help :'(

Have a look through your experiments in your project if you got it back

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

diarmo06 wrote: »

Just don't procrastinate and learn as much as you can. All you need is 5 points per experiment. Buy that revision book. It does the experiments very well.

Too much hassle like working in all weather and at all hours of the day and night ! Where are you doing it ? The only profit is if you have a huge scale farm but then its not the same because its just like mass production with no attention to the animals and not the same feeling either
    Either ucd or wit depending on how the leaving goes. Being out in the rain and night doesn't bother me at all but I suppose give me 20 years doin it full time and that might change haha. Definatley true about scale being the only way to make profit,

Less than a 100 people do it every year. Is the project similar to ag Scince ? Or is it just like watching beef and milk prices and the like?

You do it on different topics related to farming like the barley sector, milk quota, or the CAP

You do it on different topics related to farming like the barley sector, milk quota, or the CAP

Doesn't sound to bad, once you keep reading the farmers journal I'd say it should be an easy enough subject haha,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Yes :L We all had about 8 projects each full of photos and all our own personal farm experience too :) I suppose it did help that all 22 in our class were farmers :) The examiner said she had never seen projects like ours in 5 years doing this ! She was pure sound :)

Do you know the examiners name did she have blonde hair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭johneugene

yoppo wrote: »
    Just don't procrastinate and learn as much as you can. All you need is 5 points per experiment. Buy that revision book. It does the experiments very well.

You need 6 points per experiment not 5...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Never bothered with learning genetics before, but I figure I'll go over it over the weekend as it's pretty much the same stuff every year, hopefully it'll bump me up :D need the points for Ag in UCD

mossy95 wrote: »
    Do you know the examiners name did she have blonde hair?

No i dont know her name but I think she was from Kilkenny ! She had brown hair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 C_Merr

johneugene wrote: »
    Remember you need 6 valid points per experiment. (6x4)x2= 48

does that mean 6 steps in the method? :)

Denis322 wrote: »
    Never bothered with learning genetics before, but I figure I'll go over it over the weekend as it's pretty much the same stuff every year, hopefully it'll bump me up :D need the points for Ag in UCD
    Hopefully be seeing ya in September so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

C_Merr wrote: »
    does that mean 6 steps in the method? :)

Nope, some experiments don't even have 6 steps in the method! Just any 6 points, a result and conclusion can also count towards it.

Anyone doing Ag Science for the pure intention of getting points as opposed to doing it in college? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Nope, some experiments don't even have 6 steps in the method! Just any 6 points, a result and conclusion can also count towards it.

Anyone doing Ag Science for the pure intention of getting points as opposed to doing it in college? :pac:

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Manunited12

What topics is everyone focussing on? Also for experiments do you learn the ones out of your book or just the ones you did in class? Terrible system with no mandatory experiments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

What topics is everyone focussing on? Also for experiments do you learn the ones out of your book or just the ones you did in class? Terrible system with no mandatory experiments

I know, it used to annoy me but theres no point complaining, it won't change the fact that any could be on the paper! I'm studying everything as I have the time, but my focus is on crop and animal production and the experiments. I know a good bit of genetics from biology, I was initially going to leave it out but I just have to learn a few definitions and plough (;)) on with the papers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Manunited12

Yeah true no point giving out , yeah I'm going to focus on crops and animal production , genetics and soils and experiments I think and that should cover most of the paper!

Advertisement