Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** HL Ag Science Before/After **

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

The only thing I was unsure about was what was the scientific reasoning over raising the cutting height of grass?

Oh and three ways of fostering! My book only has 2!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Thank God I read that this morning! Ha, fair play man!

I'm not actually a boy >.< haha but you're welcome! Glad it helped some of you out!

yoppo wrote: »
    The only thing I was unsure about was what was the scientific reasoning over raising the cutting height of grass?

To lower the water table/absorb extra water/prevent waterlogging after harvesting. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

To lower the water table/absorb extra water/prevent waterlogging after harvesting. Is that right?

sounds scientific!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 whateverusay

delighted with that paper, experiments were nice, q1 was nice and q9 was nice. soil question was dodgy enough though!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

What did every one say for Q2 (a) with the 3 fields and 3 test results?

I said the dairy field will have lower potassium (Result A) as potassium reduces magnesium - lead to grass tetany

Ploughed in lay will be C as fertiliser will have been recently applied, equal amounts of each

And barley will be C, and the reason I gave (made up more so via process of elimination) was it took less Phosphorus

Any one agree/disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

yoppo wrote: »

I didn't do that Q but perhaps it's because the grass will not flower as early due to weather, and should be left longer until 1/5 (?) of seed heads are showing? Or maybe to increase quantity as quality will be lower

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Was a graaand paper :) Didn't do Q.2 and Q.4 did everything else though :) Thrilled and now the Leaving in Finishhhhhed :D Wooohoo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 whateverusay

KJY wrote: »

I said the dairy field will have lower potassium (Result A) as potassium reduces magnesium - lead to grass tetany

Ploughed in lay will be C as fertiliser will have been recently applied, equal amounts of each

And barley will be C, and the reason I gave (made up more so via process of elimination) was it took less Phosphorus

Any one agree/disagree?

ye thats what i said aswell but for the dairy one i said it would have high nitrogen and phosphorus because they are excreted in urea because the body cant store them

KJY wrote: »

Any one agree/disagree?

You can give so many different answers for this. They should accept any properly justified answer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Another way of fostering is cutting the skin and wool if a lamb that died at birth and isn't dead to long and putting it over another lamb like a coat and that will trick the ewe into thinking its hers

• Registered Users Posts: 9 YoungJustice

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Another way of fostering is cutting the skin and wool if a lamb that died at birth and isn't dead to long and putting it over another lamb like a coat and that will trick the ewe into thinking its hers

Not gonna lie but your post worries me slightly...:confused: Do they really do that? Seems a bit extreme like? Crazy sheep farmers.

I'm not actually a boy >.< haha but you're welcome! Glad it helped some of you out!

Apologies! :) You know your stuff, that's impressive! For the height of grass question I literally had no idea so I said if the grass is longer more transpiration will occur therefore reduce amount of water?? :pac:

SEC were really trying to catch everyone out this year with badly phrased questions!!

Apologies! :) You know your stuff, that's impressive! For the height of grass question I literally had no idea so I said if the grass is longer more transpiration will occur therefore reduce amount of water?? :pac:

SEC were really trying to catch everyone out this year with badly phrased questions!!

No its ok! Everyone on Boards seems to think I'm a guy :pac: And that sounds perfect, its pretty much what I said just phrased slightly differently

Not gonna lie but your post worries me slightly...:confused: Do they really do that? Seems a bit extreme like? Crazy sheep farmers.

Ino it would probably upset some people haha. Saw it done on a farming programme before

Ino it would probably upset some people haha. Saw it done on a farming programme before

Honestly thought you were messing haha ah yeah fair enough ya gotta do what ya gotta do and all that!

Name one insect that undergoes each type of metamorphosis.

^^ For that question I was slightly confused, did it mean one insect that can go through both of the stages (if such an insect exists??) or one insect for each stage? (i.e leather jacket and grasshopper etc)

I mean it sounds simple but I always read too much into the question, especially since this year every subject had a hint of project maths in them (Biology for example:pac:)

Finally, any repeat students here? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

They have been doing it for centuries, and it works extremely well.

Yes, it sounds horrible, and it's not something anyone enjoys having to do ... but if the result is a fostered / surviving lamb rather than a second dead one, isn't it justified?

Yes, it sounds horrible, and it's not something anyone enjoys having to do ... but if the result is a fostered / surviving lamb rather than a second dead one, isn't it justified?

Ahh well I should clarify my first comment was kind of a joke, yano I was just being a bantersaurus :D I'm not shocked by that at all! I've seen a lot worse in my day....*smokes pipe*

Just too used to the ye old "tie the lamb's legs and dip in ewe's afterbirth technique"
    But hey I'm learning something new even after the Ag science exam! :P

It is very justified and it will be even more justified if they give me full marks!! :)

Typical of the ag science exam asking ya for 3 methods when there's only 2 methods in the book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Wasnt a bad paper, Im going to take sum pleasure in unfollowing this whole forum and forgetting about the whole thing for a few months and enjoy myself!!!!

Typical of the ag science exam asking ya for 3 methods when there's only 2 methods in the book
    Here's the thing people forget though ... textbooks are published by private companies in response to the curriculum with a view to selling them and making a profit (and normally, the textbooks are at least fit for purpose, and usually very much so), BUT ... the SEC (nor indeed the Department) are in no way responsible for what's in the textbooks, nor are they under any obligation to base exams around them or even look at them, their responsibility is to base the exam on the curriculum, which is normally stated in much broader penstrokes. ;)

Here's the thing people forget though ... textbooks are published by private companies in response to the curriculum with a view to selling them and making a profit (and normally, the textbooks are at least fit for purpose, and usually very much so), BUT ... the SEC (nor indeed the Department) are in no way responsible for what's in the textbooks, nor are they under any obligation to base exams around them or even look at them, their responsibility is to base the exam on the curriculum, which is normally stated in much broader penstrokes. ;)

Was just saying haha. And aswell as that there was a question on agitating slurry which as far as i can remember wasnt mentionaed at all in our book. Makes it tough for students from a non farming backround.

Anyway It doesn't matter to me any more anyway cos I'm finished! :D:D

Was just saying haha. And aswell as that there was a question on agitating slurry which as far as i can remember wasnt mentionaed at all in our book. Makes it tough for students from a non farming backround.
    Oh, I know.

Teachers usually have a good sense of what might have been left out of a text, and will add in bits in class, but of course they may not catch every one.

As a matter of interest, which textbook were you using?

Oh, I know.

Teachers usually have a good sense of what might have been left out of a text, and will add in bits in class, but of course they may not catch every one.

As a matter of interest, which textbook were you using?

Think it was called breaking ground

'twas decent now imo

Think it was called breaking ground

'twas decent now imo
    'Tis, I know the one, it's written by two AgSci teachers and 'tis a vast improvement on the old book (which in fairness was good in its day, but had become *seriously* out of date over the years).

Guess it just never occurred to them that the SEC would look for more than 2 ways of fostering lambs!! :pac:

'Tis, I know the one, it's written by two AgSci teachers and 'tis a vast improvement on the old book (which in fairness was good in its day, but had become *seriously* out of date over the years).

Guess it just never occurred to them that the SEC would look for more than 2 ways of fostering lambs!! :pac:

True. Maybe they expected teachers to go into more detail themselves when teaching it

Advertisement