Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI- Independent Mature Student

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭sugoo69

Based on my experience of SUSI last year with my daughters grants I wont believe anything til the money is in the bank - letters dont seem to mean anything. But to be fair last year their indecicion worked in our favour so I think Im just waiting for Karma to come and catch up with me.

There was nothing underhand they just discouned my husbands wages as he hadnt adopted my daughter.

Didnt make sense to us but the emotional distress (ex husband/daugher/Dad) I could have done without.

:Just thought - if my daughter was entitled to a grant then so am I !!
    Sometimes my stupidity astounds me!!!:o

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

lol well hopefully you can stop worrying now and look forward to September :)

Am such a dope - I just think that this is so important to me Im worried that something will go wrong
    Considering Im an intelligent woman with many years life experience and a good education you would think that I wouldnt be so phased by this but its dead simple
    No fees paid by grant & No BTEA = NO COLLEGE
    Dont have money stashed away cos I have 2 kids that make sure I dont LOL
    I really cant wait for September to come round.

I totally understand. Sometimes we get so wound up about something we can't see that the answer is staring us in the face. And in fairness, this whole process is neither easy nor straightforward. I kinda feel like getting the place is the easy part!

I'm the same, I have BTEA but need the fee grant too. Thankfully I've just got a job (yay!) so if I don't get the fee grant I'll hopefully be ok with some help from the folks. Still hope I get the grant though!

• Advertisement

Well good luck and here hoping it makes like pastry & all comes together

You too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 new resident

Hi, I'm having a problem trying to prove my address as an independent mature student, I have bank statements, pay slips , a rent book and my landlady's bank statement to show my rent going from my account to hers each month. Can anyone tell me if they were successful with their application but they did not have a utility bill? I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I officially give up. :(

They know I've lived independently since last Oct because my parents live in Connaught and I worked in Cork city and have an official letter from those employers.

But they asked for a letter from my landlord showing her registration with the PRTB. She texted me on her PRTB ID (for what reason, I don't know. No idea why she didn't send me a letter). So I rang there asking why my p45 and p60 and official work letter weren't good enough to prove independent living. The guy on the end said even he can't talk to the assessor, so he couldn't help at all.

And the kicker. Even if I get this letter, it takes 5-6 weeks from when all the documentation is supplied to get the grant, if I get it!

The problem there. I need a loan from the bank to cover the rest of my fees but fees need to be paid in a few weeks. So I'll have to get the full amount from the bank, but the fee grant is paid to the college! So, I'll have to pay 2000 euro back to the bank, which will probably end up costing me a lot! (ya know how banks punish you for paying back some of your loan early?)

This has been an ordeal. I kinda yelled at yer man on the other end, but it is all just SO frustrating.

ARRRGGGGHHH!!!!

EDIT: And I don't even understand how the bank loan works, considering we pay the fees in two installments. It's all so complicated and awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rosepetal_irl

I kinda find it weird that mobile phone bills are not accepted? Not everywhere can get a phoneline in??Thats all i have...the esb is in my husbands name simply because the esb refused to put both names on it when we got the house connected...no rent...no mortgage...plenty of bank statements though...so what happens then?

• Advertisement

I only had 1 bill in my name but thankfully it was OK - makes not a blind bit of difference even if you do supply all the documentation cos they dont know their base from apex to be polite!
    Just keep chasing it is all you can do - I feel sorry for the people that work at Abtran and have to deal with such crappy processes that dont support the workers or the customers, ie us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 marvel13

hey guys , im classed as a dependent mature student ,
    and ive been asked to send in proof of residence for 3 of the last 5 years and the declaration form,
    is this good news? and has anyone requested bank statments? susi are saying that there has to be activity on them
    but i dont want to be showing my transactions but is this normal?
    also the bank say that printing and sending is 3 euro a page,
    so any info appreciated, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

marvel13 wrote: »
    hey guys , im classed as a dependent mature student ,
    and ive been asked to send in proof of residence for 3 of the last 5 years and the declaration form,
    is this good news? and has anyone requested bank statments? susi are saying that there has to be activity on them
    but i dont want to be showing my transactions but is this normal?
    also the bank say that printing and sending is 3 euro a page,
    so any info appreciated, best of luck

Yes it's perfectly normal.

Don't worry about it and send in what they ask for

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Annie200

I moved into my shared apartment in Oct 2011 - we had a one year lease but are still residing there are continue to remain there as its in such a good location and a great price. will i need to get a brand new lease next year to show or is it ok once i can prove that i have been living there the whole time. i am a registered tenant there as well. i will be applying as independent mature student

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Siobain

I am a mature student applying for the 2015/2016 school year, however am unable to prove my independent status as I am unable to produce utility bills. I work in a hotel, and as part of my employment package, my rent and utility bills are taken out of my salary. I have been living independent of my parents for 14 years. Is there any way that I can prove my independent status? I am told that the hotel needs to be registered with the tenancy board, but they are not, as I am the only person that lives there full time. I feel like I tick every exception box, however the fact remains that I am, and have been, living independent of my parents for over a decade. Is there any evidence that I can use to support this? Thank you,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Siobain wrote: »
    I am a mature student applying for the 2015/2016 school year, however am unable to prove my independent status as I am unable to produce utility bills. I work in a hotel, and as part of my employment package, my rent and utility bills are taken out of my salary. I have been living independent of my parents for 14 years. Is there any way that I can prove my independent status? I am told that the hotel needs to be registered with the tenancy board, but they are not, as I am the only person that lives there full time. I feel like I tick every exception box, however the fact remains that I am, and have been, living independent of my parents for over a decade. Is there any evidence that I can use to support this? Thank you,

Probably a long shot, but they say you can use any "official documentation posted to you at this address and relating to your residence there, for example, a letter from the Department of Social Protection confirming Rent Allowance".

If not, contact them. I'm sure in your circumstances they'd have to take something that doesn't relate to your residence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 new resident

In your application, put anything that verifies that you live there in it. Payslips, bank statements, estatements from any company. Include a letter from hotel manager stating that you live there from whatever date, on headed paper. Put in a receipt book or rent book dated back even if the amount is 0. Go into you. Credit union and ask them to bank date statements to the hotel address. If they ask why say you need it for a grant and they were asked to do it a year ago and never got back to you. They can do that. Ask your hotel to backdate payslips to that date ad address If you don' t have.if you have ever paid rent and bills somewhere else chase proof of that. I didn't have everything exactly on the list but you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you live there so think outside the box even if they havent asked for it.
    If your on the Facebook or website of the hotel send them the link or printout, anything to show its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Siobain wrote: »

If you residence in the hotel is part of your job then maybe it might be in your contract of employment. This along with a history of payslips showing deductions for residence might suffice.
    If this does not, you should consider the Student Grants Review Board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Anyone know why a Rental Agreement would be un-acceptable as proof?! :rolleyes::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Anyone know why a Rental Agreement would be un-acceptable as proof?! :rolleyes::confused:

Hi,
    different institutions will only accept certain documents. As proof of address a letter from some random person will not be good enough(landlord- letting agencies) as anyone could write a letter like that.
    You need letters from official bodies like bank/service providers/tax office/social welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

sderref wrote: »
    You need letters from official bodies like bank/service providers/tax office/social welfare.

Documents just addressed like P21 or Road Tax and bank statements does not prove residence at that particular address but only proof of a mailing address.

The documents submitted must be related to the actual property and addressed to the person applying for the grant.

Bank = Mortgage
    Service Provider = Electricity/Fixed Phone Line/GAS/Water
    Tax Office = Local Property Tax
    Social Welfare = Rent Allowance.

Advertisement