Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Football Podcasts?

• 10-06-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Currently have extratime.ie ,5live ,Football Weekly and The Guardian any more good podcasts to download ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Football Ramble is a great one but it doesn't have any shows over the summer unless there's a major tournament. One of the few football podcasts that is genuinely funny without trying too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I hate The Football Ramble. It's a poor alternative to Football Weekly. There are very few decent football podcasts. Second Captains and Football Weekly are the only two Ive listened to recently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm getting increasingly less interested in Football Weekly, it seems to be getting formulaic and predictable. It also regularly features guests who don't seem to be that interested in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I hate The Football Ramble. It's a poor alternative to Football Weekly. There are very few decent football podcasts. Second Captains and Football Weekly are the only two Ive listened to recently.

the football ramble & football weekly aren't really even comparable i think

football weekly is far more serious even though lighthearted enough

the football ramble's has more of an entertainment vibe about it

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    I'm getting increasingly less interested in Football Weekly, it seems to be getting formulaic and predictable. It also regularly features guests who don't seem to be that interested in football.

they're all football journo's are they not?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

batistuta9 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they all are. That said, some are obviously more passionate about it than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Except that pain in the arse music journalist who comes on purely to talk about QPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Except that pain in the arse music journalist who comes on purely to talk about QPR.

Ha ha I know who you mean and wholeheartedly agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sometimes Football Weekly flags a bit, but you can't expect a podcast to be pure gold all the time. Jimbo is still a different class and once he gets any combination of Sid, Glendenning, Rafa, Amy Lawrence, Auclair or that mental Brazilian bloke it's always entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Football Ramble is a great one

Not into that one, gave it a try, 2 of them seems like proper chavs, then a posh/angry Arsenal fan and the host

Neil3030 wrote: »
    ,Auclair
    Won't listen when that arseclown is on. Doesn't let anyone talk and thinks he knows it all coz he's a Wenger brown nose.

I listen to Football Weekly, Extratime.ie.....it's gettin better every episode & OfftheBall and the off Johnny Giles one too.

Is anyone else incredibly underwhelmed with Second Captains? I just get the impression that they've believed their own hype. I think OfftheBall has gotten better, less craic more proper football talk.
    Saying that tho, havin Graham Hunter & Sid Lowe on last week was a stroke of genius.
    I dunno, maybe it's only coz it's once a week and football news moves so fast that having a once a week podcast doesn't seem enough to have your finger on the pulse.

What's the deal are they actually gonna do something proper again?

Is anyone else incredibly underwhelmed with Second Captains? I just get the impression that they've believed their own hype. I think OfftheBall has gotten better, less craic more proper football talk.
    Saying that tho, havin Graham Hunter & Sid Lowe on last week was a stroke of genius.
    I dunno, maybe it's only coz it's once a week and football news moves so fast that having a once a week podcast doesn't seem enough to have your finger on the pulse.

What's the deal are they actually gonna do something proper again?

There's not enough dedicated football time either. Their weekly podcast has less football content than they would've had every night of the week in the past.

There's not enough dedicated football time either. Their weekly podcast has less football content than they would've had every night of the week in the past.

Very true and then they fill it up with crap like wolf whistles, Murph's green fingers and saying hello to immigrants. Like who gives a toss about ****e like that....real regional radio show vibe off of it.
    Next they'll be reading out the local bereavements :rolleyes:

Not into that one, gave it a try, 2 of them seems like proper chavs, then a posh/angry Arsenal fan and the host
    Chavs? Could you explain that a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

the football ramble & football weekly aren't really even comparable i think

football weekly is far more serious even though lighthearted enough

the football ramble's has more of an entertainment vibe about it

Yeah the football ramble is a load of garbage.

Chavs? Could y

Chav definition http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav

chav pic http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/96qU6TK2mj8/maxresdefault.jpg

The one called Pete, his drug innuendos are quite boring and the Portsmouth supporting lad, is a basically a London cab driver, all mouth and emotion, no brain.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Have to give my mates a plug, podcast for Borussia Dortmund fans

http://www.tyw.bundesligalounge.com/

Chav definition http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav

chav pic http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/96qU6TK2mj8/maxresdefault.jpg

The one called Pete, his drug innuendos are quite boring and the Portsmouth supporting lad, is a basically a London cab driver, all mouth and emotion, no brain.
    Cool. Didn't need the definition on what a chav is just why you thought they were chavs. It is a love/hate podcasts alright.

Cool. Didn't need the definition on what a chav is just why you thought they were chavs. It is a love/hate podcasts alright.

Ah OK, sorry, thought you might be from abroad or something and didn't know the term.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Sometimes Football Weekly flags a bit, but you can't expect a podcast to be pure gold all the time. Jimbo is still a different class and once he gets any combination of Sid, Glendenning, Rafa, Amy Lawrence, Auclair or that mental Brazilian bloke it's always entertaining.

Fernando Duarte is the brazilian guy :pac:

anyone get the impression, especially from jimbo, that they don't like sid lowe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The Football Ramble is the best football podcast by a mile.

Where else will you find games like FifthIan To Woan, Million Pound Drog and Leon Brittons Got Talent.

The lads are genuinely interested in football and the show flows really well as they are all clearly mates.

The weekly profile is also a huge plus. I'd give anything to have a walk around the Dean Windass Hall of Fame

i don't like Pete either, something about him - he's hard to take to or something

the pompey supporter, Luke, is actually quite good i find, though from the show you get the impression that he's the simple one in the group & at times looking for acceptance off the others
    Him & Marcus (the host) have good chemistry though, you can tell Luke really makes him laugh

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they all are. That said, some are obviously more passionate about it than others.

Barney Ronay would argue against the consensus in an empty room, I lost desire to listen to Duarte and Auclair after their outbursts about fan importance and the apparent cheek of anyone to question the Lyon/Ajax game respectively or to dare question the Glazers too in Auclair's case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

FW could do with less on the Italian and Spanish stuff and more about the lower-leagues. Sid Lowe is good but I don't think they need to talk about La Liga on every single podcast.

loyatemu wrote: »
    FW could do with less on the Italian and Spanish stuff and more about the lower-leagues. Sid Lowe is good but I don't think they need to talk about La Liga on every single podcast.

I have far more interest in the foreign leagues than the English lower leagues and I wouldn't say that's uncommon. There's perhaps scope for some increase in coverage of lower leagues (and perhaps leagues like the Eredivisie and Liga Sagres), but not at the expense of big reduction in the coverage of Europe's premier competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Currently subscribed to the following:

Extratime.ie - Enjoyable podcast that covers LOI very well. Like how they give a fair chunk of their time to the first division too.

5 Live Football Daily - It's not bad when it wraps up football news I've missed throughout the day. That 'Monday Night Club' thing is fairly shíte though. Steve Claridge is an absolute bore and comes across as a right dick.
    It's a pretty good listen when England lose games. The over reactions and the doom and gloom is quite funny.

Football Weekly - It's not too bad when they've got good contributors. Auclair and Honigstein offer great insight in my opinion. I don't mind Sid Lowe but rarely talks about anything other than Barca/Real Madrid and gets a bit tiresome. If they had him on every fortnight to discuss the goings on, I think it'd be better. Having him on twice a week is a bit much especially when there's nothing to report as such.

Football Ramble - Presenters work well together. More of a comedy/entertainment podcast which I enjoy. Took me a while to warm to Pete. He's not bad but comes across fairly childish. Sometimes annoying but his timing with some of his jokes is hilarious.
    They give a nice wacky insight into unknown leagues the odd time but I listen mainly for the profile of a team/player/tournament for nostalgia sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I love the Football Ramble, but can entirely see how people might not like it: it's very comedy-focused and left-field rather than news and hard analysis, which I think is the right tack if you're doing a weekly show. Oddly, Pete Donaldson is probably my favourite part of the show.

Football Weekly is the gold standard IMO - people who write about football seriously kicking back and being a bit more open and trenchant. Glendening is great, less for the football knowledge than for his interaction with AC Jimbo. Also like Amy Lawrence, Greg Bakowski and Rafa, because they have genuine insight and opinions outside the herd.

5 Live can be great sometimes, brutal on other occasions, depending on who's on. For example, I'm amazed that Steve Claridge can have played the game for so long yet be so clueless about it.

Have just downloaded the first extratime podcast and looking forward to giving a listen.

Tried 'The Game', produced by the Times, for a few weeks this season. Jaysus it's painful. Decent contributors but the host, Marcotti, is pig-ignorant and makes a virtue of not watching leagues beyond the EPL. Like a footballing version of Jeremy Clarkson, without the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Football Weekly is back on Monday for the Confederations Cup .

geeky wrote: »
    Tried 'The Game', produced by the Times, for a few weeks this season. Jaysus it's painful. Decent contributors but the host, Marcotti, is pig-ignorant and makes a virtue of not watching leagues beyond the EPL. Like a footballing version of Jeremy Clarkson, without the fun.

The contributors are the strength of that podcast. Rory Smith, Alyson Rudd, George Caulkin. Marcotti is only useful and considerate when talking European football amongst 'peers' like Lowe and The Game is overwhelmingly EPL centric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Marcotti seems like a complete knob. The Game podcast take themselves far too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

I'm struggling to find anything decent also ... I listen to the Guardian's Football Weekly, BBC's Kicking Off and the BBC World Football Phone In but that's about it.

Second Captains is a major let down
    Off The Ball has zero entertainment value
    The Football Ramble I've tried a few times - cant get into it - very annoying bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

BBC's World Football phone in is worth it for Tim Vickery's views on South American football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

gustavo wrote: »
    BBC's World Football phone in is worth it for Tim Vickery's views on South American football

Second this nice and long as well

More importantly, keeps going throughout the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Anybody know why 5 Live's World Football Phone In podcast isn't available ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Been out of the country for a few years now and never really listened to the old panel on Off the Ball. However I've only noticed, while listening to some recent Second Captains podcasts, how utterly infuriating Ken Earley's questioning style is. He rambles on for about an hour, asking and answering several questions himself before finally allowing the guest to speak. It's just so self-absorbed; I can't wait for the day a guest responds with..... "eh... is there a question in there somewhere that I'm supposed to answer?"

• Advertisement
Advertisement