Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin city in a seasonal onslaught of seagull noise pollution?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Triple glazing, very fancy, I suppose you had your butler go scatter the seagulls?!

Ha ha yes indeed, he dismissed them accordingly :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

They're overpopulated. That's why they're straying inland. The cliffs are all full so the fcukers are nesting on rooftops. They're vermin and overpopulated vermin at that. Time for a cull.

Oh and don't get me started on the vermin that sit there throwing chips at them to make sure they get a good dinner, maybe the population would be in normal numbers if half the eejits in the city didn't insist on feeding them directly, then just discarding the end of their chips for them to eat. Grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They're overpopulated. That's why they're straying inland. The cliffs are all full so the fcukers are nesting on rooftops. They're vermin and overpopulated vermin at that. Time for a cull.

Oh and don't get me started on the vermin that sit there throwing chips at them to make sure they get a good dinner, maybe the population would be in normal numbers if half the eejits in the city didn't insist on feeding them directly, then just discarding the end of their chips for them to eat. Grr.

The state of the place with food thrown everywhere is something else, and is definitely attracting gulls.

Chucking food around is one of my peeves; it's really stressful to walk my dogs because there's nowhere I can go that's not covered in bread, chips, crisps, chicken wings, rib bones, and any other thing they've got bored of sticking in their mouth so they chuck on the floor, so half the time I'm dragging the dogs away from the food rather than enjoying a nice walk in the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 annsie

I live in Glasnevin too and its so bad around here. Every morning at 4/5am it begins. I swear they must be all gang raping eachother or something. I don't know how they are a 'protected species' when there is far too many of them.
    I did notice however that glasnevin isn't the most cleanest of areas.. especially around the shops and chippers so it's no wonder they're around here in particular.
    I did read that alka selser in a slice of bread will help the situation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

During a brief break in the rain about 30 minutes ago one of them was out giving it socks.. Almost calling the rest out 'to play' I should imagine but it pissed down again and he buggered of lively...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If they'd perform a public service and eat all those disgusting slugs and snails that were sliming around in the damp the other night, I might be inclined to look on them a BIT more favourably. Not a lot though, my overwhelming urge is to take a shotgun to them at 6am every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭GSF

Was attacked by one of these whilst walking along the Grand Canal in D2 at the weekend. There was a chick ( well half grown ugly sprog) on the pavement and this angry parent flying above us and dive bombing us, obviously thinking we were going to make off with its ugly offspring. They are quite frightening aggressive, even by inner city Dub standards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Beaumont is particularly bad, where we are anyway, had me up at 4:30 last week a good few mornings :-( this is with tripple glazing and windows closed. Can't sleep coz too warm, open window and it's too loud, can't win!

Use earplugs.
    HeidiHeidi wrote:
    If they'd perform a public service and eat all those disgusting slugs and snails that were sliming around in the damp the other night

Having a sensational problem with nature are we?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Yea i remember Back to school time with the gulls,
    they used to hover over the yard for discarded
    sandwiches etc. Got Sh*t on more than once by the
    dirty feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 annsie

My mam is always throwing scraps up on the shed roof for them (she lives in drumcondra) within seconds the gulls appear, probably from Glasnevin... but they spend ages flying over the food which is clearly just about enough for one bird. Originally it's just one gull that appears to find the food, they start squawking and after afew minutes loads come.
    After awhile, one eventually gets the food and the others go bananas.
    Does anybody know why the first bird to find the food doesn't just take it instead of calling all the other feckers???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

They are making a nuisance in Raheny and Artane as well. My mam is just in the door from a walk around the Howth harbour and she said there is hundreds of them out there and there was a guy feeding them a sliced pan :rolleyes:

I refuse to believe there is a recession in Ireland when guys can still afford to feed sliced pans to the birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

annsie wrote: »
    My mam is always throwing scraps up on the shed roof for them (she lives in drumcondra) within seconds the gulls appear, probably from Glasnevin... but they spend ages flying over the food which is clearly just about enough for one bird. Originally it's just one gull that appears to find the food, they start squawking and after afew minutes loads come.
    After awhile, one eventually gets the food and the others go bananas.
    Does anybody know why the first bird to find the food doesn't just take it instead of calling all the other feckers???

Probably because they know the first bird to land will be mobbed, so no-one wants to be the first bird.

annsie wrote: »
    Coz they dont have seagulls in Cavan :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There's an extremely verbose seagull civilisation developing on my roof. I fear they plan to overthrow me and take the apartment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Got crapped on by one on Liffey Street at lunch time. Actually got two of us. Good shot to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Seagulls have become an absolute scourge in Dublin. They are literally taking over the city and ruining our lives.

They need to be classed as vermin so that citizens can kill them - once it is not done in a cruel way.

Citizens can kill rats - why not seagulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Benedict wrote: »
    Seagulls have become an absolute scourge in Dublin. They are literally taking over the city and ruining our lives.

They need to be classed as vermin so that citizens can kill them - once it is not done in a cruel way.

Hysterical post, on zombie thread.

Double whammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

walking home yesterday and saw a horrible sight

saw a dead pigeon and standing inside the birds guts was a seagull eating his guts etc

I was standing outside eating my lunch yesterday and some wanker of a seagull was trying to actually intimidate me. Was walking up to me within inches, then flying around my head

little bastard

This matter was raised in the Senate and there were sniggers. Those sniggering might not be sniggering today - the seagull problem has grown dramatically. From first light to when the sun goes down these airborne vermin are causing serious noise pollution in our city - I wonder is it also happening in Galway and Cork?

There is nothing funny about being woken at 4.30 or 5 every morning by screaming gulls swooping and diving between buildings.

The birds are designed for life on the sea shore where they need to be heard over wind and surf - does anyone know why they have now decided that they prefer down-town living?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

This matter was raised in the Senate and there were sniggers. Those sniggering might not be sniggering today - the seagull problem has grown dramatically. From first light to when the sun goes down these airborne vermin are causing serious noise pollution in our city - I wonder is it also happening in Galway and Cork?

There is nothing funny about being woken at 4.30 or 5 every morning by screaming gulls swooping and diving between buildings.

The birds are designed for life on the sea shore where they need to be heard over wind and surf - does anyone know why they have now decided that they prefer down-town living?

Plagued with Crows on the northside of Cork. The Seagulls left in March when the weather got good, Only a few of them came back, Love watching the Crows outwit the Gulls.

Easy food pickings I'd imagine, and competition for food means they have to spread out a bit.

They've been circling and screeching and squealing all day every day from sunrise around my house for the last month or so - the numbers and volume have definitely increased in the last couple of years.

My neighbour only today was telling of a girl she saw on Henry St the other day who had a sandwich taken from her hand by one as she was literally putting it up to her mouth - I'd say she got some fright :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You think it's bad now, wait until the seagulls discover heroin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Ah lads, get over it. It's a bit of noise for like one month of the year.

And, as someone pointed out, humans are the reason they're around.

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Ah lads, get over it. It's a bit of noise for like one month of the year.

And, as someone pointed out, humans are the reason they're around.
    It's a LOT of noise, for about three months of the year. And it starts very very early in the morning.

I for one find it very hard to get over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

You should try living in some British coastal and even some non coastal towns.

You should try living in some British coastal and non coastal towns.
    Dublin 8 is quite bad enough, thanks :eek: :D

Some subscribers to this thread seem to think that it will only last for a while - then the so-and-so's will bugger off to who-knows-where. Is this true? I have an awful feeling that they'll be pestering us all year?

Do they migrate?

Can you all please lobby your local TD's.

Some subscribers to this thread seem to think that it will only last for a while - then the so-and-so's will bugger off to who-knows-where. Is this true? I have an awful feeling that they'll be pestering us all year?

Do they migrate?

Please say they migrate?

Nah, they're around the whole time.

But the mega-decibel screeching only seems to be around nesting/fledging time. Thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Do they migrate?

Can you all please lobby your local TD's.

What can your TD do? Not a lot. If you cull them other vermin scavengers, rats in particular, will take their place and/or they'll come back next year or from elsewhere. Nature abhors a vacuum and gulls are preferable to rats any day of the week. It's actually us humans who are the main problem as it is our litter that provides much of their food in urban settings.

Advertisement