Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin city in a seasonal onslaught of seagull noise pollution?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

The point is that the do-gooders and politically correct brigade have decided that seagulls are lovely. So when a couple of dozen seagull families decide they would like to set up home on your roof or mine, there's nothing you can do about it. And if you try, you'll end up in Mountjoy!

So they build their nest (no planning permission required), Dad goes and collects the spare food left out by do-gooders while pregnant Mum waits for him to "bring home the bacon". Soon, the little darlings will appear and before too long, they'll be tormenting the locals with the same gusto as their parents do.

These vermin have it made!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

A guy in Wexford was filmed whacking the head of a dog with an axe and he didn't go to prison. Why would I be arrested for killing a couple of seagulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Benedict wrote: »
    The point is that the do-gooders and politically correct brigade have decided that seagulls are lovely. So when a couple of dozen seagull families decide they would like to set up home on your roof or mine, there's nothing you can do about it. And if you try, you'll end up in Mountjoy!

So they build their nest (no planning permission required), Dad goes and collects the spare food left out by do-gooders while pregnant Mum waits for him to "bring home the bacon". Soon, the little darlings will appear and before too long, they'll be tormenting the locals with the same gusto as their parents do.

These vermin have it made!

But still you would have to look past why the "do-gooders" are feeding them! It could be that they want to cut down on the amount of rubbish being put in there pay per lift bin. The fact is that you haven't seen the point I made and me giving you a reason why people feed seagulls just proves my point! They are apart of the ecosystem of coastal area's if people have a problems with them look at the reason as to why they are there in the first place instead sticking a label on them and hoping they'll be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Seagulls might steal a lollipop from a child causing tantrums and tears. All told they are about as dangerous as ducks and less lethal than swans.
    They're a sight more dangerous than ducks. A gull is a pretty large bird, and bolshy as hell. They're more than capable of taking a lump out of you with their beak.
    That's an excellent point. Gulls didn't suddenly cast off millions of years of evolution to take up a chips and burgers diet. I wonder do large towns on the Atlantic coast have this issue or is it just the Irish Sea.
    Why wouldn't they when they've found an easier source of food littering the streets of Dublin?

A house up the road from me regularly dumps loafs of bread and other food waste out their front door onto the road 'for the birds', it's the gulls and the rats that make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gulls prey on ducklings, chicks, fledglings of other bird species... in a whole different category of threat.

In England they have ASBOs for people who are leaving out rubbish bringing vermin into area (and I include seagulls in that definition), we need some mechanism here for that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Gulls prey on ducklings, chicks, fledglings of other bird species... in a whole different category of threat.

In England they have ASBOs for people who are leaving out rubbish bringing vermin into area (and I include seagulls in that definition), we need some mechanism here for that.

You'll probably find the ASBO's are for people illegally dumping domestic waste. Here we have the Waste Management Act, 1996.

Seagulls were living full lives on our shores for millions of years. And we were happy for them to live there.

Now they've decided they like city life and if that doesn't suit us, tough on us!

It's called invasion.

I'd like to live in Shrewsbury Road, but I can't because if I pitch my tent in one of the gardens there, I'll end up in the back of a squad car.

It's called "life".

But the rules don't apply to seagulls. If they decide to live in Shrewsbury Road, and the residents don't like it, then tough on the residents.

Seagulls have more rights than I do!

I predict that there'll be a civil revolt against pesky seagulls.

And it'll be soon!

Seagulls were living full lives on our shores for millions of years. And we were happy for them to live there.

Now they've decided they like city life and if that doesn't suit us, tough on us!

It's called invasion.

I'd like to live in Shrewsbury Road, but I can't because if I pitch my tent in one of the gardens there, I'll end up in the back of a squad car.

It's called "life".

But the rules don't apply to seagulls. If they decide to live in Shrewsbury Road, and the residents don't like it, then tough on the residents.

Seagulls have more rights than I do!

I predict that there'll be a civil revolt against pesky seagulls.

And it'll be soon!

I'm pretty sure they haven't got a clue about civilised society and our rules on invasion of privacy. It might be cheaper in the long run to set up prefabs for them when there numbers increase to unsustainable amounts and teach them clear boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Well now. Something simply must be done about this scourge.

CJ-_RAHWwAAzzRk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Another Giant Gull, be careful out there

timedpics19.jpg

• Advertisement

It's illegal to interfere with an established gull nest - but it's ok to "discourage" the building of the nest in the first place.
    People with flat roofs should go up on the roof every week or so and if they do that, the gulls won't want to build there. They'll know that there's traffic on the roof and they will build elsewhere.

Anyone with a small baby should be worried about leaving it outside when the gulls are about. They are quite capable of killing or seriously injuring a defenceless young child.

What will our politically correct masters say then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

They would actually attack small children. And our beloved cat population would be on the menu. Seagulls are beggars....falcons, hawks, eagles are called birds of prey for a reason.

Im not sure i agree with that.Im reminded of a thing I watched recently about a city somewhere that was infested with pigeons, the powers that be decided to release a few breeding pairs of peregrines at strategic points across the city and it was a great success.No cats got it as far as I know,or kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They're as big as medium sized dogs and pose a real threat - especially to children.

There'll be fatalities before anything is done.

The way things are going, in a few years time Dublin will be like a bird-sanctuary - our cats and dogs will all have been eaten by seagulls - and some of our children too if we're not careful.

It's like a biblical plague - but nobody has the guts to bite the bullet because it's "politically incorrect".

Make no mistake, a large and powerful gull swooping on a young child could do serious damage - perhaps it would be aiming for the lollipop - but their beaks are as lethal as machetes.

The point is that the do-gooders and politically correct brigade have decided that seagulls are lovely.

Anyone with a small baby should be worried about leaving it outside when the gulls are about. They are quite capable of killing or seriously injuring a defenceless young child.

Mod instruction: Enough of the hysteria and mud-slinging. Don't post in this thread again.

Im not sure i agree with that.Im reminded of a thing I watched recently about a city somewhere that was infested with pigeons, the powers that be decided to release a few breeding pairs of peregrines at strategic points across the city and it was a great success.No cats got it as far as I know,or kids.
    My sarcasm detector registered a hit for FloatingVoter's post, you might want to check the settings on yours, harry.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Found a solution to the giant seagull above

2A9DB93F00000578-3165062-Photos_shared_online_see_forced_perspective_photography_make_dog-a-61_1437133470293.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/454476/Primary-school-lockdown-seagulls-terrified-students

Seagull terror: Primary school placed on LOCKDOWN after vicious birds target kids
    A PRIMARY school was put on lockdown after vicious seagulls targeted terrified pupils.

55a947e99985d_p15merge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I saw this and thought of our conundrum.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/07/14/15/46/greedy-great-white-shark-accidentally-beaches-itself-in-bid-to-eat-bird

So it appears hiring Jaws runs into its own set of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Unlike our useless politicians, David Cameron is now involved, and 63% of Irish people agree things are getting out of hand...
    http://www.thejournal.ie/seagulls-david-cameron-2223931-Jul2015/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Well, if Big Dave Cameron is sorting it out I'm happy. I'm sure he'll export them to the Falklands then let the Argies have the rock back.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0720/716033-seagulls/
    Fianna Fáil Senator Denis O'Donovan has called for a cull of "vicious" seagulls to be considered as he said they were endangering society and invading towns.

He noted that last year his party colleague Ned O'Sullivan had raised the issue and that some pople in the media had thought it was a joke.

[...]

He called for a debate in the Chamber in the autumn on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What a clown.
    Have to say I've been very tempted to perform my own private cull on the ever-growing family of screechers living across the road from me lately.

And then there's this. Even our phones ain't safe :eek:

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/dublin-woman-says-seagull-stole-her-mobile-phone

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Typical politician response on the matter. Lets 100% fail to deal with the actual problem (overfishing) and kill yet more animals to restore the balance in favour of our convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Typical politician response on the matter. Lets 100% fail to deal with the actual problem (overfishing) and kill yet more animals to restore the balance in favour of our convenience
    I don't think anyone is saying there's no fish left in the Irish Sea!

IMO the seagulls, which are clearly smarter than they are subtle, have copped onto an easier, handier source of food and migrated towards it.

Maybe the politicians should be addressing the food and waste disposal habits of their citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

I think the sea gulls are even starter then we think, they see friends at bus stops who used have a chat and now have the device addicted heads in a smart phone, they've seen people at concerts (outdoors ones) filming on their phone rather than just enjoying the concert, they know the film will be **** quality, and it'll go on Facebook where no one will watch it but people will feel obliged to like it because it's a friend, so the seagulls are like flying psychologists/addiction workers, they've decided to help free us from the addiction. They don't get that we the addicted have to choose to give it up, so they're not really being overly ethical, but they're heart or beak is in the right place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And then there's this. Even our phones ain't safe :eek:

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/dublin-woman-says-seagull-stole-her-mobile-phone
    "He just started to read how the phone was stolen and when he got to the seagull part I could see him laughing to himself ... and when he came back out he kind of said ‘a seagull took your phone’? I thought out of the police station I’d never get."

Why does she speak like yoda?

animals-seagull-bird-rubbish-garbage-polluted-cgo0216_low.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

“Small Minority Giving The Rest Of Us A Bad Name”, Claims Dublin Seagull
    A DUBLIN seagull has today called for calm among the human community after a number of gulls have openly attacked and robbed people on the Dublin and Wicklow coast line.

Martin McGull (3) claims the recent spate of incidents was down to “a small minority” who were inadvertently giving the rest of the gull community “a bad name”.

[...]

There are an estimated 2 million seagulls living in the Dublin area alone, with almost 14% of those with some form of criminal record.

“Many of these birds are unemployed and living in disadvantaged areas like Bray and Greystones,” added O’Sullivan. “Hopefully we can come to some solution with the gull community, whether it be a social or a final solution”.

With a silver tongued advocate like Martin McGull (3) on their side it is only a matter of time before balaclavas and armalites are the order of the day in the skies above us.
    I call upon all the free thinking men and dancing at crossroads women of Ireland to defend us against this threat.
    I suggest a rising in the chipper beside the GPO.
    Relevant details relayed to our allies at Waterford Whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't think anyone is saying there's no fish left in the Irish Sea!
    of course not but 80%+ reduction in fish stocks is a pretty damning reason
    IMO the seagulls, which are clearly smarter than they are subtle, have copped onto an easier, handier source of food and migrated towards it.
    easier now because other sources have been made harder.
    Maybe the politicians should be addressing the food and waste disposal habits of their citizens.
    maybe people should be addressing it for themselves.

• Advertisement

Advertisement