Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My last Flake...

Options
  • 11-06-2013 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I've just eaten the last of my stash of Cadbury's Flake that a friend brought over a few months ago. I'd been rationing them, but now they are gone, and with the summer and all that soft swerve icecream waiting for me.... only my fellow Irish ex-pats would understand :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

silja wrote: »
    I've just eaten the last of my stash of Cadbury's Flake that a friend brought over a few months ago. I'd been rationing them, but now they are gone, and with the summer and all that soft swerve icecream waiting for me.... only my fellow Irish ex-pats would understand :o

Dude, just order some???

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Cadbury_Flake.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Or come to NYC. Cadbury's are sold in most stores and delis :) PM me you're address and I'll send you a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Ponster wrote: »
    Or come to NYC. Cadbury's are sold in most stores and delis :) PM me you're address and I'll send you a box.

Some are not the same. For instance, creme eggs are made with hersheys over here. Foodireland.com FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Silja, do you have a Publix supermarket or Cost Plus World Market any where near you? They stock Cadburys that is the real deal, not the muck churned out by that shower of charlatans and imposters in Hershey, PA. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

We have a Fresh Market... not sure if that is the same group. We do have some Cadbury's stuff (and frankly, for real chocolate I prefer Lindt), but I do like the crumbly flake.

• Advertisement

No, Fresh Market is not the same as Cost Plus World Market. Fresh Market is just a high end supermarket (or at least they are in Atlanta) but Cost Plus import stuff from countries all around the world, the UK/Ireland being just a couple of them. I just checked their website. There aren't any stores in Arkansas, but there is one in Shreveport, LA and there are several in Missouri. Go forth and Flakeify !

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Fresh and Easy stock some Cadbury's, Flakes included, if there's one near you.
    They have a little 'British' section that comes in quite handy.

Now I want a 99!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

The soft serve stuff you get here isn't the same anyway and it's tough to find too. Nothing like a huge 99 from some random petrol station that has no business selling ice-cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    creme eggs are made with hersheys over here.

They are?? They still say cadburys on them? Out here on the west coast the shops only stock them before Easter. They're the yanks idea of an Easter Egg.

:cool:

(malteaser's are my vice...)

InTheTrees wrote: »
    They are?? They still say cadburys on them? Out here on the west coast the shops only stock them before Easter. They're the yanks idea of an Easter Egg.

:cool:

Yup, Check the side and you'll see they are produced by hersheys.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, the Hershey company own the US licensing & naming rights to the Cadbury brands. Unfortunately, they don't have to remain true to the quality control and/or ingredient levels that makes the stuff produced on this side of the pond so darn good. So they can throw any old crap together, slap the Cadburys name on it, and the poor unsuspecting Yanks are none the wiser. :mad:

The creme eggs are probably too small for you to see the small print, but if you ever come across the big bars of Dairy Milk that drug stores & supermarkets often sell, you'll see something along the lines of "Made in Hershey PA, under license from Cadbury,UK yada yada yada...." on the back.

There they sit, day after day, taunting you at just how far away from chocolatey heavy you really are. To get the real deal, you have to go somewhere that imports specalist food items from Europe. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I've found that the Indian store stocks a lot of British stuff, I guess it's also popular in India. The one near me has Dettol, a variety of McVities biscuits, Cadbury chocolate and until recently had Lucozade.

Chocolate digestives... yum...

Chocolate digestives... yum...

You can get the McVites in the local Walmart here, sometimes, but that may be because it is the Walmart beside HQ.

Oh, the aul choccie digestives are the bees knees, especially if you leave them in the fridge for a bit, and the chocolate gets chilled and hard. Yum ! :D

I was in Powerscourt Gardens in Wicklow yesterday. There is a gift shop attached to the garden centre that sells a few items of gourmet food, chocolates mainly. They also had a few shelves given over to American food items that presumably the visiting hoards of American tourists just can't live without....Aunt Jemina maple syrrup, Vanilla Coke, Bisquick pancake mix, Jif peanut butter etc etc. But what really made me laugh was the stacks of Herseys kisses and Babe Ruth candy bars. I mean, what is wrong with you if you come to the home of decent chocolate on yer holliers, and you still want to eat that putrid muck? Oh well....:rolleyes:

You can get the McVites in the local Walmart here, sometimes, but that may be because it is the Walmart beside HQ.

Wow. Thats impressive either way.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    But what really made me laugh was the stacks of Herseys kisses and Babe Ruth candy bars. I mean, what is wrong with you if you come to home of decent chocolate on yer holliers, and you still want to eat that putrid muck? Oh well....:rolleyes:

:D

Yup i cant stand hersheys. Its like soap.

but now i'm trying to think what american food I miss when i'm back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

He always tells me he prefers the chocolate and sweets here because it feels nostalgic also, they grew up with their treats, we grew up with ours.

Personally though, I still can't get used to it, which is probably good for the waistline! :D

I always miss pho when I go home. And mongolian bbq, nothing fancy, just the stuff you find in malls. I mostly miss the beer though!

but now i'm trying to think what american food I miss when i'm back home.

My husband (American who lived with me in Ireland for 3 years) says he missed "good peanut butter" while in Ireland, and icecream varieties., as well as rootbeer. Not personally, but when the Walmart Shareholder's meeting is on (lots of Walmartians from all over the world coming here for a week), the shelves of Walmarts in a wide radius are empty of Lucky Charms and Krafts Macaroni and Cheese.

My husband (American who lived with me in Ireland for 3 years) says he missed "good peanut butter" while in Ireland, and icecream varieties., as well as rootbeer. Not personally, but when the Walmart Shareholder's meeting is on (lots of Walmartians from all over the world coming here for a week), the shelves of Walmarts in a wide radius are empty of Lucky Charms and Krafts Macaroni and Cheese.

Its funny how americans get obsessive over their "mac and cheese".

I noticed last time I was home there was a pretty full selection of Ocean Spray juice all over ireland which is about all I missed really.

I've been getting into a german version of Jaffa Cakes that are available here in seattle. Just as good as McV's.

• Advertisement

Can someone volunteer to be insulted by me, so I can get banned and then re-register as Walmartian? That has to be the coolest user name EVER !!! :D

Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer St sell Kraft Mac 'n' Cheese if ya'll are ever back here on vacation with your significant others.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Can someone volunteer to be insulted by me, so I can get banned and then re-register as Walmartian? That has to be the coolest user name EVER !!! :D.

If you become a subscriber, one of the perks is you can get your username changed :)

It seems like every single american when they were kids and caught a cold got fed mac and cheese. SO whats an irish "comfort food"?

All I could come up with was a fry. Eggs, bacon, toast, sausage, and a Mug of Tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Warm 7up!! Heals everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Yeah, I'll have a 99 please. :) Flashbacks of those 80's Flake ads as well. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

I've been getting into a german version of Jaffa Cakes that are available here in seattle. Just as good as McV's.

What are they called? I'll give them a go.

I think I'm in the minority, but I actually like the Hershey produced Cadburys bars. And the Hershey's with Almonds. :o

The kids got sent over some big bars of Cadburys from the old Country yesterday.

Jonny_D wrote: »
    I think I'm in the minority, but I actually like the Hershey produced Cadburys bars.

Weirdo! :D Pims are close to a jaffa cake too. So was there some samples taken of the sweets to make sure of the "Quality"?;)

Jonny_D wrote: »
    I think I'm in the minority, but I actually like the Hershey produced Cadburys bars. And the Hershey's with Almonds. :o

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Folks, I think we need to arrange an intervention !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonny_D

:D One of the advantages is that the missus also thinks I'm a weirdo and won't touch the Hersheys chocolate. Which means it won't 'disappear' on me.

As opposed to whenever anyone sends over Cadburys. I never get a look in there. :(

Advertisement