Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout from mining slowdown

Options
  • 11-06-2013 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

Interesting piece that gives pause for thought to those thinking of trying to get work in mining.
    Labourer Patrick Johnston, 28, has placed an online advertisement offering $5000 as well as his 1994 Ford Falcon valued at $1500, to anyone who can get him an entry-level mine job.
    The university graduate, who recently moved to WA from Ireland, said it was rumoured that applicants had to know someone involved in mine recruitment to be considered for a position.
    ...."I've come to WA because it's one of the only places in the world that is not in a recession," he said.
    http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/17548947/jobseekers-pay-for-mine-work/
    The worm has truly turned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Makes no mention of what visa he's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Fair play to him. Hope he gets something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Of course knowing someone will get you in quicker, is this news? Pretty much standard in a lot of industries I would have thought.

In a perfect world, potential employees would be based on knowledge and experience, but not in reality in a lot of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Does knowing someone actually get you into the mines? I came over here last July and had 2 very good contacts (both Irish and reasonably well known to me back in Ireland before they left for OZ) for getting me into the mines one was a person who had part ownership in a mine, the other a manager in a major plant hire company that supply machines both wet and dry hire to mining and construction companies all over WA. As an accomplished machine operator I was very confident that I would land a job with great ease. Both contacts talked the talk but when it came down to it they both could do nothing for me. After 4 months I got into the mines through my own efforts, I sent off hundred's if not thousand's of cv's, rang people that I didn't even know and if they couldn't help I got numbers off of them for people that might be able to help. I changed my cv regularly to suit what I thought that they wanted to see in my cv, and after several tweaks eventually the phone started to ring. I eventually got a break and got 2 months work in Jimbelbar, after which I had FIFO experience which I could add to my cv, and that is really the experience that potential employers want to see on your cv. Plus the fact that you can now put down the name of a company and supervisor with a contact number to verify that you worked up North.

You can get work up North, but it isn't easy and doesn't happen with a few phone calls or one or two cv's, some people do get lucky and get up there fairly quick, others give months even years banging away at the door.
    I consider myself lucky that I got going so fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

sponge_bob wrote: »
    Does knowing someone actually get you into the mines? I came over here last July and had 2 very good contacts (both Irish and reasonably well known to me back in Ireland before they left for OZ) for getting me into the mines one was a person who had part ownership in a mine, the other a manager in a major plant hire company that supply machines both wet and dry hire to mining and construction companies all over WA. As an accomplished machine operator I was very confident that I would land a job with great ease. Both
    Force?

Yer man in the OP is a fool, he will end up getting shafted.

If I was trying to break into the mines I would head to Newman or Tom Price and get in with a local mob until you create your own contacts. After a year up north I am well sick of the politics and H&S bullshít that goes on here.

MacMahons let 60 operators go on this site last week and they are parking up some machines for the company I work for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Do newly qualified graduates also have difficulty finding employment in the mining industry?

Graduates as Civil engineer, Geologist and Geophysicist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Do newly qualified graduates also have difficulty finding employment in the mining industry?

Graduates as Civil engineer, Geologist and Geophysicist?

Yeah could be difficult enough, the major companies still have grad programs but thats not really an option for Irish grads.

Exploration is the first part of mining to get canned when when things slow down so that will make it harder to get geo jobs unless you have prior experience in production or resource geology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

THE FIFO cash cow is drying up, with workers willing to take a massive 27 per cent pay cut for a job in mining.

As the number of people looking for work in the state rises, West Australians can no longer demand exorbitant boom-time wages.

New figures reveal that geologists are now willing to work for $52 an hour a substantial drop from the $71 an hour they were chasing a year ago.

Across a year, their annual salary falls from $140,000 to $103,000.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/fifo-workers-accept-pay-cuts/story-fnhocxo3-1226664366638

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

catbear wrote: »

Wow $71 p/h seems like great money to have be on, and $80 for engineers Christ!
    That article read just like something out of any Irish newspaper circa 2007.

I'm unsure about the other professions but from what I can gather, somewhat irrespective of economic recession on more global terms, salaries of Geologist will greatly rise in the medium term as its estimated that ~50% of current Geologists in the work force will be at retirement age within the next five to ten years.
    $100 p/h here I come:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

That article read just like something out of any Irish newspaper circa 2007.

and that in itself says it all.
    Clear your debts, save your cash, use forex wisely and prepare yourself.
    I don't believe it will be a similar scale meltdown though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

"average job seeker is looking for $51.6 per hour" - i.e $100k a year and unemployment is up to 4.9%.

sure things arent booming like before but it's hardly time to panic. the press here really love giving bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

uglyjohn wrote: »
    "average job seeker is looking for $51.6 per hour" - i.e $100k a year and unemployment is up to 4.9%.

sure things arent booming like before but it's hardly time to panic. the press here really love giving bad news.
    I don't believe good news sells papers. Anyway the slowdown is real and it's important that anyone thinking about coming out here know about it before they commit whatever cash reserves they have towards trying to find a job in a sector that undergoing a contraction.

Advertisement