Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP - Acquiring Network Address issue.. desperate!

Options
  • 11-06-2013 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm trying to connect via WiFi to a broadband network and am faced with the "Acquiring Network Address" error which I can't seem to get past.

PC: Windows XP, 2002, SP3.
    Modem: Actiontec
    Router: Cisco Linksys

I've tried:
    1) System Restore to a previous date.
    2) Removing from automatic connect list/reconnecting to the network.
    3) Performing DNS flush (ipconfig /flushdns) and IP renew release.. but I keep getting errors saying it cannot be performed because the media is disconnected.
    4) Disconnecting the modem and router for 2 minutes and rebooting.
    5) Ensured the DHCP service is running as per this method.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried most fixes that show up in Google but none seem to work ..! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

When it does connect and struggle to acquire the network address I try to repair the connection but Windows fails to complete the following action:

"Renewing your IP address"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

update drivers for wifi maybe?
    Have you used this connection before, or is it first time?

wonski wrote: »
    update drivers for wifi maybe?
    Have you used this connection before, or is it first time?

First time, haven't been able to properly connect once. All drivers are up to date as far as I can tell.

Removed/re-added the wireless card driver and still nothing.

Have you tried connecting directly to the router (via network cable)?

Have you tried connecting directly to the router (via network cable)?

Yep, connected directly to the router and it works perfect.

I need it to be via wireless to the upstairs bedroom, however.

• Advertisement

If you have any other wireless device - phone or game console, or another laptop, try connecting it so at least you can narrow down your options.
    If any other device connects without problem, try to source new drivers for your wireless card online as yours may need to be updated.
    After that reset your router and modem, and see what happens.
    Is it eirom setup, or something else if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Check security type, if it's TKIP or AES.

Login to modem to check those settings.

Make sure the setting on the wireless network adapter matches the setting on the modem, or is set to Auto.

If you have any other wireless device - phone or game console, or another laptop, try connecting it so at least you can narrow down your options.
    If any other device connects without problem, try to source new drivers for your wireless card online as yours may need to be updated.
    After that reset your router and modem, and see what happens.
    Is it eirom setup, or something else if you don't mind me asking?

I asked the housemate and he said the Roku box to connect to Netflix runs wirelessly, so that's at least one device that works via Wifi.

The laptop worked perfectly in Ireland when I was there, am in Denver, Colorado now and since then it hasn't connected to the network (ISP: Qwest)
    old_aussie wrote: »
    Check security type, if it's TKIP or AES.

Login to modem to check those settings.

Make sure the setting on the wireless network adapter matches the setting on the modem, or is set to Auto.

Security is set to WPA2, which apparently is AES?

I've disabled the firewall on both the router and laptop to see if that helped, nothing.

How do I go about the line in bold?

How do I go about the line in bold?

Login to your wireless router and check if your router settings (security/encription) match your wireless card settings. Eg Wpa-2/AES, WPA/TKIP etc. Normally you won't be able to connect if those settings don't match, but worth a shot.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What sort of networks were you connected to in Ireland? I wonder if you are carrying maybe a fixed ip address from a previous settings?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    What sort of networks were you connected to in Ireland? I wonder if you are carrying maybe a fixed ip address from a previous settings?

UPC 30mb, worked a treat. Tried it today at Starbucks free Wifi and it worked fine, so it has to do with the house network they have here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If it works on a free wifi then the wireless card is working.

On the home network are you sure you are trying to connect to the home network and not another nearby network?

Are you sure the security setting on the laptop connection matches that of the router?

Are you sure you have entered the correct password?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try turning off the wireless security. If it then works then the problem is password or type of encryption. Some wireless devices can only do "WEP" reliably, or can only connect to a "802.11b" network (rather than N)

No IP is common error for wrong password or incompatable security/encryption settings.

Advertisement