Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your best and worst calls / predictions

• 11-06-2013 4:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭

So reading the mickey swinging in the Pool thread got me thinking, we've all made some great and awful shouts in our time so why not out ourselves?

For me:

Good

- I badly wanted City to sign Zabaleta when he played for Espanyol, though I saw him as a defensive midfielder back then.

- Saying two years ago that if Tevez was to leave City then the only man to replace him should be Sergio Aguero. Then we got to have both :pac:

Bad

- The whole Sven thing. I wanted him kept, partly for stability reasons and also because I was afraid of getting another Stuart Pearce, but in hindsight it probably wouldn't have been the best thing to happen.

- De Gea would be a complete flop at United. It was looking an ok shout for a while too :o

More will no doubt come to mind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bad

I thought Luke Chadwick was going to be a star and also an international player.

I remember him at 20-21 playing Champions League football and in the EPL and I was well impressed.

Went to West Ham and he's bounced around a few different teams since. Been at MK Dons for the last 4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

cole leaving newcastle great money! still missing the lad:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I said the day Souness was appointed Liverpool boss he would be a disaster .....little did I realise how bad he would actually be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I said the day Souness was appointed Liverpool boss he would be a disaster .....little did I realise how bad he would actually be

Best......saying Bale would make a far better attacking player when he was still playing badly at lb. Saying ronaldo would be an epic player before he signed for united. Saying lukaku would be on of the best forwards ever in the pl....only at the start of this but more confident about this now than when I first said it. Said torres was past his best the year he signed for chelsea.
    Worst ..... saying nani would be as good as ronaldo.....saying roy keane would be a great manager....saying united would win very little after the glaziers bought them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Bad

I thought Mika Vayrynen was going to be a success at Leeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The Bad

- Thought Nuri Sahin was going to be an amazing signing for Liverpool. My friends who dont watch european football or have any real interest outside of the premier league still think im mental saying hes class.

- Thought Lucas was never going to be good enough for Liverpool :o:( ( How wrong I was! Sorry Lucas I love you.

- Genuinely believed Dani Pacheco / Ryan Babel was going to turn things around and become a star man at anfield.

The Good

- Despite people saying he was going to become an excellent striker for us, I always thought David Ngog was a pile of ****e.

- When we signed Xabi Alonso I thought he was going to be an amazing signing, he was and when we sold him I felt it was going to be a major major blow to us. Seems obvious as he is class, but I said to a few of my friends that we are gunna struggle to get top 4 without him. (this could also go under bad :( )

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

joe123 wrote: »
    The Bad

- Thought Nuri Sahin was going to be an amazing signing for Liverpool. My friends who dont watch european football or have any real interest outside of the premier league still think im mental saying hes class.

I don't think that's a bad call at all. I thought he'd do well also, he certainly has the talent. For whatever reason it didn't work out, I still think you had the right expectations.

I don't think that's a bad call at all. I thought he'd do well also, he certainly has the talent. For whatever reason it didn't work out, I still think you had the right expectations.

Same here,
    I actually thought the same when he was signed..........people call me crazy now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

The Bad

I was so convinced that Shola Ameobi was gong to turn into a top class payer that I bet my buddy that he would become a full England International. I was convinced he was the English Thierry Henry. Didn't quite work out

Was convinced that Everton shad signed the best striker in the world when they signed Ibrahim Bakayoko back in the day. it took about two games to realise the my folly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The good

I've defended Carrick since he signed and only know others are coming around to realise how important he is to the club

The bad

I thought Bojan was going to be amazing for Barca. I guess I believed the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

didnt expect Ferguson to retire this year or in the next 3 years to be honest, was shocked when he did and id been telling people that he wouldnt so i got that wrong :( was sure Jose would replace him eventually.

was fully convinced that John o Shea wouldnt leave United and then a few days later he did :(.

also was 100% sure Wesley S would sign for United 2 summers ago, but alas that fell through and i lost a bet I had here with one poster about it.

in terms of good things, i predicted a good few transfers well in advance and also predicted the demise of Macheda about 2 years before it became really clear, though that is not something to be proud of i guess.

also defended De Gea to the death and predicted he would become world class...i think he is well on the way to proving this to be correct. ive also been criticised for my backing of Evra and Carrick, many people wanted them out over the last 2 years but i think this faith in them was justified this season.

currently i have doubts over Phil Jones ability and think he is nowhere near the level people think he is and likewise that Nick Powell wont make it, though i am happy to be proved wrong on both of those of course. i think Rooney will be at United next season from what ive heard/read, but the reality is nobody knows and he could end up anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The good:

I predicted Germany would hammer England and Argentina at the World Cup 2010. It sounds obvious and hardly a daring prediction now but back then unless you watched the Bundesliga not a lot of people knew about a lot of the German players. Everyone on the old Sky Sports Forum thought I was mad, even crazier for talking up Klose. I got it right on both counts.

I predicted Oscar to play for Madrid or Barcelona or a top club after his first start for Brazil, it was a superb performance that night and he's a very special player.

The bad:

I've never been high on Van Persie. I always thought the hype he got was unwarranted but fair play to him, he's had two outstanding goalscoring seasons.

When Barcelona signed Ibrahimovic I thought he'd make Barcelona an even more formidable team. That didn't quite work out.

Future prediction:

Thiago Alcantara is a better player than Fabregas and has a brighter future at Barcelona than Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Portsmouth to be relegated from the PL:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623113

Wasn't close in the end as they entered administration but were 5/1 shots the summer before when I made the prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Bad:

I tipped Bristol City for promotion a few years back under Steve Coppell. He left after a couple of months and City lingered just above the drop zone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Good:

I remember when Torres was at the top of his game at pool I argued with a scouse mate that RVP would be better than him. He was having none of it.

Bad

In the same conversation I argued that RVP was extremely loyal and wouldn't just turn his back on arsenal if he did manage to shake off the injuries and come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Bad:

The numerous Villa youths that I predicted would be future stars - The Moore brothers, Isiah Osbourne, Delfouneso (looking extremely unlikely), the Swiss Bellon twins.

I just hope the same doesn't happen for Gary Gardner and Jack Grealish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

The bad: I said Torres would completely flop when he first came to Liverpool :o

The good: I said Torres would completely flop at Chelsea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Good: thought sturridge would hit the ground running at liverpool

Bad: summer after summer was always convinced dani pacheco would finally break through to the first team, just finished a successful loan spell at huesca sd whom got relegated to the spanish 3rd division. Poor dani.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Good:

El Shaarawy would have a "break through" season last season.

Balotelli would eventually join Milan, called that one yonks ago.

Kaka would be a world class player when he was signing for Milan back in the day.

Bad:

Yoann Gourcuff would be the player to replace Kaka after he was sold to Real, and eventually become one of the best players in the world.

Daniele Bonera would go on to become a vital part of Milan's defence and eventually be their first choice CB beside Nesta when he was signed from Parma. Ended up becoming nothing more than a good back up player.

Taye Taiwo would be a good signing for Milan and sort out the left back problem the club has had since Jankulovski lost his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The Good:
    When Ronaldinho was at the peak of his powers at Barcelona, and everyone I knew was saying that he'd go onto having a career to rival Pele/Maradona, I predicted that he'd be in decline before he was 30 and never rival those two. I was aware of his lifestyle long before it took its toll on his career.

The Bad:
    Too many to mention! :pac:

Like, I thought Andy Carroll would be a success at Liverpool despite the crazy price tag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Good:

Saying that Inter would win the CL title the year they did.

Bad:

Not putting money on it. Saw some excellent odds but still refused to. Did the same with Wales with grand slam years ago, I couldve won good money but oh no, too conservative for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

The bad-
    Thought Nigel Clough would make the King Kenny position his own
    Thought Souness would make a good liverpool manager - so so so wrong.
    Didnt think Torres would go to another English club.
    Thought Robbie Keane would be a good signing for Liverpool

the good.
    That jamie carragar would make a great CB as opposed to alright full back.
    Liked the look of stevie G on first appearence.
    Didnt rate veron as making in in England.
    When first goal scored by Liverpool in Istanbul turned to friends and said we are going to win this.
    Thinking that Trap wasn't suited to Ireland Job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The Bad:
    I was certain Giovani Dos Santos could be as good as Messi(man thats idiotic now).
    I thought Gilardino would have a Shevchenko sized Impact at Milan and thought Pato would be the next truly great Brazilian no.9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I did believe Mario Goetze when he committed his future to Borussia Dortmund :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Bad:

I thought Morientes and Cisse would be outstanding for Liverpool after each of them signed.

Also thought Mark Gonzalez would be a quality winger for Liverpool after seeing him play brilliantly for Chile against Ireland at Lansdowne just before he signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

for the lads that thought such and such a player would turn out to be class, how many play Football/Championship manager :pac:

Bad

I thought Igor "Gets sent off more then he plays" Biscan would be a top player :( . I do miss watching his face turn to tears when a ref was about to send him off though. Brilliant !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Bad :

I thought Harry Kewell was a steal @ £5m (Leeds to Liverpool) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

BAD

I said to a mate ages ago when Joey Barton was going for a free from Newcastle I think, that he may do a job at United. :o

Thank god I was wrong, it still gets brought up anytime we're beering and playing Fifa..

"Remember that time you said that Joey.... *Laughs*.." :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

The Bad

Thought we should have signed Darren Bent instead of Torres
    thought Diouf would be a good signing

The Good
    Wanted Suarez and Hazard thought they would have been class for LFC.
    Thought Keane was a poor signing
    Had a flutter on Baros being top scorer at the Euros 2004 at 33/1
    wanted Sturridge included in the Torres swap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

RayCon wrote: »
    Bad :

I thought Harry Kewell was a steal @ £5m (Leeds to Liverpool) :mad:

Who didn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seaneh wrote: »
    Bad:

Yoann Gourcuff would be the player to replace Kaka after he was sold to Real, and eventually become one of the best players in the world.

I may have started a thread on this very forum stating he'd be the new Zidane :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Good

I was adamant that Germany weren't as good going into Euro 2012 as people thought and it was laughable that they started favourites over Spain, who I predicted to win the competition.

I got in a number of arguments in summer 09 for saying that Liverpool had luckily survived having a paper thin squad and that it would all fall apart at the seams rather than result in a title.

Bad

I thought a large part of Ronaldo's success was due to intelligent play and making space by Rooney mainly and Tevez. I predicted he wouldn't be as good at Madrid.

I couldn't see Bayern getting the better of Barcelona over two legs this year, and overestimated Barca as a whole while underestimating Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Good

- Have consistently supported Michael Carrick/David De Gea since they first arrived, recognising their quality and not being swayed by some nonsensical media witch-hunt which so many people ate up

- Predicted Cardiff to win the Championship this year (and bet on it)

- Called Bojan ****e 3/4 years ago and was laughed at for it.

Loads more will come to mind

Bad

- Thought France would have good tournaments in 2010 and 2012.

- Thought we shouldn't have let go of Alan Smith when he left.

- My midfield wishlist for United included the likes of M'Vila and Marvin Martin (Although there is still hope for him to be big I think).

Loads more will come to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I forgot one of my favourite good ones.

I predicted Drogba would be a huge success at Chelsea when they signed him, hailing him as one of the best signings in years. That one was proven true in a big way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Good:
    • Backed Spain for Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010, despite being repeatedly told on both occasions that I may as well burn the few quid I threw on them
    • Suggested Maxi Rodriguez as a possible signing for Liverpool a year before he joined
    • Believed Southampton would finish fairly well clear of relegation this year
    • Said Shamrock Rovers would be obliterated in the Europa League group stage

Bad:
    • Thought England would get to the semi-finals at World Cup 2010
    • Ditto Netherlands at Euro 2012
    • Believed Cristiano Ronaldo was all style and no substance when he joined Man Utd
    • On more than one occasion, possibly through bias, wholeheartedly thought Liverpool could win the Premier League circa 2006-09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I forgot one of my favourite good ones.

I predicted Drogba would be a huge success at Chelsea when they signed him, hailing him as one of the best signings in years. That one was proven true in a big way.

Conversely, I was convinced Liverpool had gotten the far better deal at the time, paying £10m less for the man who had just finished top scorer in the same league

I made a huge mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Good:

Said Shamrock Rovers would be obliterated in the Europa League group stage

Well you really went out on a limb with that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Bionicle

Good:

- Predicted Barca's humiliation atthe hands of Bayern. Predicted 4-0 at the Allianz.
    -Predicted that Gerrard would score in the last 10 minutes against Olympiakos in '05.
    - Said DeGea would come good with time
    -Predicted that Utd would not smash any of the points, games won,etc.. records after winning the league
    -Predicted that West Brom would draw Utd when they were down by 3 goals in the 5-5 draw.
    -Predicted that Italy would score two goals at the end of ET against Germany in the 2006 World Cup in the first half of the game (Did a similar thing when AC were drawing Lyon 1-1 in the 2nd leg of UCL Knockout game (first game 0-0 in france) and said in the 85th minute that Milan would score two and they did in the last minutes) :)
    -That Wigan would outplay City in the FA Cup Final (made a bet on them to win too :) )

Bad

-Thought Torres would become the animal he was for Chelsea in 2012/2013
    -Thought Germany would destroy all before them at Euro 2012
    -Was convinced Wigan would stay up throughout the whole season :(
    - Convinced that Chelse would win the league last year (and in 2011 too:( )
    -Thought Robben would never score a big goal :v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Good

I called that Hernandez would be a great signing and that he'd play in a lot of games in his first season at united. He scored 20 goals in his first season at United coming from the mexican league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Unfortunately, I think I have been correct in writing off most of Liverpool's young prospects for years now (Pacheco, Babel, Ngog, Leto, Flo-Pongolle).

The good news is that I was wrong on Lucas.

Unfortunately, I think I have been correct in writing off most of Liverpool's young prospects for years now (Pacheco, Babel, Ngog, Leto, Flo-Pongolle).

The good news is that I was wrong on Lucas.
    Insert obligatory broken clock comment here...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Bad:

Put €20 on Fernando Torres at 12/1 to be top goalscorer this past season.

Jaysus. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Bad

I'm pretty sure I tipped Wolves to a safe lower mid-table position 2 summers ago.

Good

Bayern for the CL this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Bad:

Put €20 on Fernando Torres at 12/1 to be top goalscorer this past season.

Jaysus. :o

nearly did the same myself but his odds shortened after he scored in the first few games of the season so didnt bother.

BAD: thought obertan was gonna be the new ryan giggs still geta a slaggin off me mate for it:o

GOOD: was right about de gea and carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Bad:

-Luque would be a good signing for us.
    -France would win WC2002.
    -Thinking Milan were right to get rid of Pirlo.
    -Backing RVP to be top scorer at Euro 2012.
    -Insisting Chelsea would be murdered by Barca last year.

Good:

-Allardyce would get us relegated.
    -Pardew over-achieved and would be found out this season
    -Messi would become one of the all-time greats(this was like 2005-2006)
    -Someone unexpected would win Euro 2004(Didn't predict Greece mind!)
    -Liverpool would struggle without Alonso, moreso then if they lost any other player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If i'm honest,

Good - Everything i've posted.

Bad - Nothing i've posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I remember I saw a great Brazilian forward playing in holland a few years back. Told everyone he was the ****, gonna move to Spain or England and score a load of goals. It wasn't Ronaldo or Romario. It was the great Afonso Alves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I remember I saw a great Brazilian forward playing in holland a few years back. Told everyone he was the ****, gonna move to Spain or England and score a load of goals. It wasn't Ronaldo or Romario. It was the great Afonso Alves.

Didn't Boro pay about 20m for him? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Afonso Alves made a mess of a peak Rio Ferdinand to be fair.

Good:

-Holland would go out at the group stages of EURO 2012.
    -Ireland would end up pointless and potentially goalless at the same competition.
    -Italy would do well at the same competition.

Bad:

-Dwight Yorke was well overpriced and wouldn't take United on another level.
    -Turkey would beat Brazil in the 2002 World Cup semi-final because of reasons.
    -Russia would make the semi-finals of EURO 2012 and Kerzhakov would help fire them there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement