Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your best and worst calls / predictions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Good:

Predicted QPR's failure this year
    Said Lukaku would at least hit double figures for West Brom
    Expected Michu to turn out a quality signing at Swansea
    Tipped Ferguson to retire after reclaiming title back from City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Good:

- Forlan to be top scorer at the 2010 World Cup (66/1). Still the highest winner/joint winner I've had.

Bad:

- Thought that Wayne Rooney was completely over-rated when he burst on the scene. To be fair, I was only about 13 at the time. Barely 3 years younger than Rooney himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good:

- Forlan to be top scorer at the 2010 World Cup (66/1). Still the highest winner/joint winner I've had.

I got him at 75/1 in the April before the tournament, never been so gutted as when he smacked the bar with a free kick late on in the third placed playoff.

Winnings divided by four :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I got him at 75/1 in the April before the tournament, never been so gutted as when he smacked the bar with a free kick late on in the third placed playoff.

Winnings divided by four :mad:

I know. I was close to tears.

My winnings dropped from ~€275 to ~€60. Still a nice amount off of a €5 e/w bet but it could have been so much more.

He was fantastic and very deserving of his Player of the Tournament award. Probably the only player who fully mastered the flight of the ball.

We're talking inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Bad

Saw Carra play quite a bit in his early career and said he would never make it.

Every season for the last twenty or so "This is our season"

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

GOOD

Tipped Dortmund to really challenge for the CL during the past season. Even wrote it in my blog!

Always thought Johnny Evans was going to be a very very good centre back when plenty were writing him off.

BAD

Thought Newcastle would seriously challenge for top 4 again last season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Good

I won £1 in school for predicting Liechtenstein 0-0 Ireland in 1995
    I thought Fenlon would bottle it at home to Red Bull Salzburg and try for the 0-0 draw.
    I thought Spain would win Euro2012 which was bizarrely not picked out by too many
    I thought Italy would win WC2006 and Euro2000 (that was close enough).

Bad

I thought Davids, Deco and Eto'o wouldn't do well at Barcelona.
    I thought Barcelona would sorely miss Ludovic Giuly
    I thought Rubin Kazan would give Rovers a chance to pick up a point in Tallaght.
    I thought Shels would be promoted every year form the First Division except the year they were..
    I expected Morientes to be an excellent signing for Liverpool..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bad
    I thought Suarez wouldn't score more than a dozen goals for Liverpool last season due to him not being a natural finisher. He went on to have a great season and score a load of impressive goals and nearly win player of the year. So that one was way off. :P

I thought Reading would stay up and that Sunderland would go down before the season kicked off. Sunderland nearly did go down but I still got it wrong and Reading were miles off safety in reality.

I thought Newcastle would finish top 6 again this season and build on their success. How wrong I was.

Good
    I knew that sacking Mick McCarthy was a massive mistake for Wolves and they would fall down the league over the next 5 years as a result. Admittedly, even I was amazed at back to back relegations.

Even back when he was scoring for Liverpool, Torres was merely a proficient striker and would never make it at the highest level. He hasn't been that bad at Chelsea, and he wasn't that good at Liverpool. He was always an average forward.

When all and sundry were claiming Joe Hart to in the top 5 keepers in the world, I was explaining to them that while being a decent keeper, he wasn't even in the top 5 premiership goalies and that his positioning and handling needed a colossal amount of work. The sheer number of "uncharacteristic" mistakes he has made in the last few seasons have wakened everyone but Sky up to the fact that he is still a good bit off World Class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Kirby wrote: »
    Bad
    I thought Suarez wouldn't score more than a dozen goals for Liverpool last season due to him not being a natural finisher. He went on to have a great season and score a load of impressive goals and nearly win player of the year. So that one was way off. :P

I thought Reading would stay up and that Sunderland would go down before the season kicked off. Sunderland nearly did go down but I still got it wrong and Reading were miles off safety in reality.

I thought Newcastle would finish top 6 again this season and build on their success. How wrong I was.

Good
    I knew that sacking Mick McCarthy was a massive mistake for Wolves and they would fall down the league over the next 5 years as a result. Admittedly, even I was amazed at back to back relegations.

Even back when he was scoring for Liverpool, Torres was merely a proficient striker and would never make it at the highest level. He hasn't been that bad at Chelsea, and he wasn't that good at Liverpool. He was always an average forward.

When all and sundry were claiming Joe Hart to in the top 5 keepers in the world, I was explaining to them that while being a decent keeper, he wasn't even in the top 5 premiership goalies and that his positioning and handling needed a colossal amount of work. The sheer number of "uncharacteristic" mistakes he has made in the last few seasons have wakened everyone but Sky up to the fact that he is still a good bit off World Class.

That's a fairly brutal shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

8-10 wrote: »
    Portsmouth to be relegated from the PL:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623113

Wasn't close in the end as they entered administration but were 5/1 shots the summer before when I made the prediction.

I remember that! Great shout and made a few quid myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Good:

-Allardyce would get us relegated.

I'm confused, what team are you referring to here?
    The only teams that are coming to mind are Newcastle and Blackburn.
    But, Blackburn were 13th(in December) when he left and Newcastle were 11th(in January).
    I'm not sure whether he got a team relegated before his time at Bolton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Good

Arguing with a friend for months and getting laughed at when I said Bale would be in the top 3 players in the world within a few years (circa 09/10 season). I still remind him everyday when they mention breaking the Record Transfer fee to land him. :) He mumbles something back.

RvP top goalscorer last season (Not mind-blowing) and Man Utd -8 points overall (Quite proud of that one).

Bad

I thought Kleberson was going to be United's best player for a decade when he arrived based on his Brazil WC performances.

I bet a Liverpool friend at the start of last season that Newcastle would finish ahead of them :( Christ.

Wenger to be the first manager sacked last season :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Palace to drop, or be very close to dropping, from the Championship last season and Cardiff to do likewise the previous year when they made the playoff semi-finals were two of my better efforts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Good:
    Knew Edinson Cavani would get top scorer in the Serie A last season. He was head and shoulders above the next best attacker even though many of my mates still think he's average.

Thought Ibrahimovic was a beast when he first signed for Juventus and thought he'd go on to dominate teams for years

Thought Bayern would win the CL last year as I felt they were set up too well for the likes of Barca and Madrid. Didn't expect Dortmund to be so competitive with them though.

Thought Italy were a great shout for the Euro's (I know they didn't win but they were very good) and couldn't understand why everybody I chatted to said they'd be annihilated by the Germans

Bad:
    Thought Ancelotti would be a startling success at Chelsea. Still think he's a top manager though

Thought Pato would go on to be one of the best strikers around. He had the pace and finishing to rival any player in world football, injuries took their toll however.

Thought Spain would be much too good for Brazil, a side that I felt couldn't defend very well, in the Confederations Cup Final

TBD:
    Italy will do well in the World Cup and shouldn't be 20/1

Argentina will flop in the WC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Good:

Said Bosnich was making a big mistake going to United.
    That Villa would struggle to have as good a partnership as Ehiogu and Southgate, haven't had as good a one since.
    Never had a doubt Yorke would be successful at United despite a lot of United fans at the time feeling underwhelmed by the signing.

Bad:

Thought Sasa Curcic would be a great signing for Villa :o
    I remember thinking when I was younger that Mark Draper would go on to big things, even had a jersey with his name on the back.
    Actually thought Staunton would be a good appointment for Ireland, with his experience of the game and maybe new ideas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good:

Rafa to leave liverpool

Bad:

Arsenal to win the 2002/2003 at a canter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Future prediction:

Thiago Alcantara is a better player than Fabregas and has a brighter future at Barcelona than Cesc.

Just saw this. Lol.

Good: Said Italy would beat Germany comfortably at the last euros.
    Said Kroenke wouldn't be a good owner from an Arsenal fan perspective.
    Said Arsenal would make the top 4 and finish ahead of Spurs last year, and the year before, despite everyone saying Spurs would finish ahead of Arsenal.

Bad: Didn't think van Persie would leave last summer.
    Thought we'd sign players this summer.
    Thought Flamini and Fabregas would be an amazing partnership for Arsenal for years to come, right before Flamini left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

master-t wrote: »
    Good

Arguing with a friend for months and getting laughed at when I said Bale would be in the top 3 players in the world within a few years (circa 09/10 season). I still remind him everyday when they mention breaking the Record Transfer fee to land him. :) He mumbles something back.
    That's still completely wrong, massive fee or no massive fee. Hardly a good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good:

Joe Hart was overrated for long time

Bad:

I could write a book on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Just saw this. Lol.

Still think Thiago has a world if potential, a really unique and remarkable midfield talent who, had he stayed at Barcelona, would have almost certainly been the one to take over the Xavi role.

However it is entirely possible that I was somewhat harsh on Fabregas. His two seasons at Barcelona were, on the whole, slightly disappointing. Since then he's had a fantastic Confederations Cup and he's started this season brilliantly for Barcelona, indeed his performance against Levante in which he played in the midfield 3 was probably his best yet for Barcelona and is an indication that, if given the chance, he can play as part of Barcelona's midfield 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

West Brom to stay up when they were bottom at Christmas.

100 to 1.

Best call ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Good/Bad

Lawrie Sanchez to get Fulham relegated, Sky were gushing about him after Northern Ireland beat England. Was so close to, believe it may have come down to that home game against Fulham, which Warnock loves to mention as ultimately keeping them afloat. Anyway they sacked him before the end of the season and clawed out of the drop zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bad:

I genuinely thought Mike Ashley would be a good owner when he first took over. :(

Thinking Bohs would surprise everyone this year and be challenging for a European spot and winning a cup....

---

Can't really think of anything good though I am tempted to predict that Coutinho will not live up to his hype.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Can't really think of anything good though I am tempted to predict that Coutinho will not live up to his hype.

He could be the best player in the world and he wouldn't live up to the hype that's going around :pac:

Still think Thiago has a world if potential, a really unique and remarkable midfield talent who, had he stayed at Barcelona, would have almost certainly been the one to take over the Xavi role.

However it is entirely possible that I was somewhat harsh on Fabregas. His two seasons at Barcelona were, on the whole, slightly disappointing. Since then he's had a fantastic Confederations Cup and he's started this season brilliantly for Barcelona, indeed his performance against Levante in which he played in the midfield 3 was probably his best yet for Barcelona and is an indication that, if given the chance, he can play as part of Barcelona's midfield 3.

How exactly is he a unique talent? A midfielder who is good as passing is hardly a unique talent?

Zidane, Figo, Kaka, C. Ronaldo were unique midfield talents, not Thiago

How exactly is he a unique talent? A midfielder who is good as passing is hardly a unique talent?

Zidane, Figo, Kaka, C. Ronaldo were unique midfield talents, not Thiago

A midfielder with a passing game quite similar to tat of Xavi's in that he has the ability to constantly find space, to pick the right pass, to keep his team ticking, in short, a midfielder with skills honed at La Masia. However on top of that, a remarkably skilful midfielder, with a trick, to go past players in midfield. Also has the ability to play in the holding role (as he did for much of Bayern's pre season), the Xavi role or the Iniesta role and be effective in all three. He's a top quality player, for me, the future of the Spanish national team. Essentially Xavi, just with more skill and speed. He will only get better with experience, and hopefully cut out the odd lack of concentration that occasionally lets him down. So yes, a unique midfielder, for me, the finest young midfielder in world football.

In short, a player with the skills of a Brazilian number ten but the passing game of a great Spanish midfielder, ala Guardiola, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I remember seeing one of Beckhams early appearances for United and remarking to my dad several times that he is decent but can't cross the ball to save his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

That_Guy wrote: »
    Bad:

I genuinely thought Mike Ashley would be a good owner when he first took over. :(

He made mistakes by not fully researching the state of the clubs finances before buying it, but when he couldn't find another buyer he's done everything he can to sort out the club, regardless if it annoys some fans.

He'll end up being the best thing to happen to Newcastle in the long run.

A midfielder with a passing game quite similar to tat of Xavi's in that he has the ability to constantly find space, to pick the right pass, to keep his team ticking, in short, a midfielder with skills honed at La Masia. However on top of that, a remarkably skilful midfielder, with a trick, to go past players in midfield. Also has the ability to play in the holding role (as he did for much of Bayern's pre season), the Xavi role or the Iniesta role and be effective in all three. He's a top quality player, for me, the future of the Spanish national team. Essentially Xavi, just with more skill and speed. He will only get better with experience, and hopefully cut out the odd lack of concentration that occasionally lets him down. So yes, a unique midfielder, for me, the finest young midfielder in world football.

In short, a player with the skills of a Brazilian number ten but the passing game of a great Spanish midfielder, ala Guardiola, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets.

Yeah he's good and could be great but isn't at the minute.

You overhype these players too much. I don't think he's even the best young midfielder in world football as Paul Pogba seems to have it all

Yeah he's good and could be great but isn't at the minute.

You overhype these players too much. I don't think he's even the best young midfielder in world football as Paul Pogba seems to have it all

I disagree. I'd say very good and well on his way to great, though it's a shame he has picked up his current injury when he has.

I also don't agree, I'd nearly go as far as to say I haven't hyped Thiago enough. I was very disappointed that he left Barcelona but there's no doubting his quality or his potential. He's a player who, after this upcoming World Cup, is the most likely successor to Xavi Hernandez in the Spanish midfield in the long term, no mean feat. I also don't agree about Pogba, I'd have the technically superior Thiago any day of the week.

I disagree. I'd say very good and well on his way to great, though it's a shame he has picked up his current injury when he has.

I also don't agree, I'd nearly go as far as to say I haven't hyped Thiago enough. I was very disappointed that he left Barcelona but there's no doubting his quality or his potential. He's a player who, after this upcoming World Cup, is the most likely successor to Xavi Hernandez in the Spanish midfield in the long term, no mean feat. I also don't agree about Pogba, I'd have the technically superior Thiago any day of the week.

That's not a "feat", it's your opinion. :rolleyes:

That's not a "feat", it's your opinion. :rolleyes:

I don't understand. Do you mean that I am incorrectly assuming that he is the long term successor to Xavi in the Spanish national team and thus is not a feat, or are you saying that being the successor to Xavi (the very symbol of the style of football that has catapulted Spain to unmatched international glory) ahead of an array of multi talented young Spaniards isn't a "feat" I'm not sure which it is that you mean.

I also don't agree, I'd nearly go as far as to say I haven't hyped Thiago enough.

You called him the best young midfielder in the world, how could you possibly hype him more?

You called him the best young midfielder in the world, how could you possibly hype him more?

I haven't really thought through exactly "how" I would go about doing it but I'm sure that if I think about it long enough I will find a way.

If Thiago is as good as you say he is then the manner in which Barca let him go for such a small fee is embarrassing. I've never witnessed such poor management in all my life. There's no excuse for letting a player of such undoubted quality go for so little. Barcelona should be ashamed of themselves, pathetic attempt at running a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Prob backing Celtic to win 4-0 tonight :pac:

• Advertisement

If Thiago is as good as you say he is then the manner in which Barca let him go for such a small fee is embarrassing. I've never witnessed such poor management in all my life. There's no excuse for letting a player of such undoubted quality go for so little. Barcelona should be ashamed of themselves, pathetic attempt at running a club.

I agree that Barcelona managed the situation poorly. There was certainly enough chances to play him in order to get his buyout clause to the 70 million pound mark I think it was. On that side, Barcelona certainly dropped the ball and seemed to be distracted by other things that were going on at the club, namely Tito's illness, Messi's injury, defender crisis and the loss to Bayern.

However Barcelona simply couldn't guarantee Thiago that he would get more game time this season than last. Whether you think that is right or wrong is entirely up to you. On one hand, I'd still have Xavi over Thiago in the big games, and Fabregas has had an excellent start to the season and hopefully we see more of him in the midfield 3. On the other hand it is, of course, a great shame to lose a player the quality of Thiago for relative peanuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've made a call that Yay Sonago is going to be class for Arsenal, based of 8 goal filled seasons in Football Manager 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I thought nigel adkins getting unfairly sacked at southampton would severly back fire on them.

Look at them now! How wrong was i...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

klose wrote: »
    I thought nigel adkins getting unfairly sacked at southampton would severly back fire on them.

Look at them now! How wrong was i...
    I was thinking along similar lines although I knew that if they sacked them that easily it had to be for someone special. Cortese (or whoever found him) found something special in Pochettino, fair play to them

Advertisement