Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABN number ?

Options
  • 11-06-2013 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi , looking for some advice, my girlfriend got a job in a salon and was told she will need a ABN number, am I right in saying that this means she will have to pay her own tax? and what does it mean to an irish person who is on a whv who will return in a year or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Yes she will have to pay her own super and tax. As for the second part of your question i do not understand the context of what does it mean to an irish person on a WHV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

danotroy wrote: »
    Yes she will have to pay her own super and tax. As for the second part of your question i do not understand the context of what does it mean to an irish person on a WHV?

Can she leave without paying it, also is it possible to sponser herself to stay longer

Of course she can leave without paying it. But its illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

tonydude wrote: »
    Can she leave without paying it, also is it possible to sponser herself to stay longer
    simple answer is no.
    Unless she was to set up her own business and apply for a business visa (she'd need a lot of money to do this - 100,000 off the top of my head)

hussey wrote: »
    simple answer is no.
    Unless she was to set up her own business and apply for a business visa (she'd need a lot of money to do this - 100,000 off the top of my head)

I havn't heard one directly myself but I have heard through the mysterious secong even third hand grapevine you can sponsor yourself? is this an illegal loophole some people have exploited?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I havn't heard one directly myself but I have heard through the mysterious secong even third hand grapevine you can sponsor yourself? is this an illegal loophole some people have exploited?
    Yes we've had people claiming that, but in reality it is an established company who sponsors them, whom the employee knows the director etc ... then the rumour mill starts. (if true at all).
    Joe blogs cannot create Joe Blogs company, then sponsor himself (457 here) there is a lot of regulation for 457 one of them is the company is not a new company.
    How ever Joe Bloggs can be sponsored as a CEO or director of an already existing company.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tonydude wrote: »
    Hi , looking for some advice, my girlfriend got a job in a salon and was told she will need a ABN number, am I right in saying that this means she will have to pay her own tax?

Working on an ABN means she'll essentially be a self employed contractor.
    It's up to her to sort out her tax and items.
    and what does it mean to an irish person who is on a whv who will return in a year or two?
    It has no impact on a WHV.

Not a loophole in any shape or form. You can't sponsor yourself.
    What people are referring to, and often getting very confused about it. Is as Hussey said. Setting up a new company, funding the process involved, registering somebody else as the principal and being sponsored as an employee of that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Thanks for the info guys, the next step is applying for one, how does one do that?

Advertisement