Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potentially Water Damaged S2

• 11-06-2013 6:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭

Have a Galaxy S2 that refuses to turn on or charge. Long story short is that I got stuck on a 4 hour walk in torrential rain where I was completely soaked through. The phone was in my jacket pocket but was a bit wet when I took it out, it was working fine though. Worked alright for the next day, then I found it dead in my pocket. Plugged it in and it started charging, so I figured I had nothing to worry about. Checked it later and it refused to charge or turn on, has been that way ever since.

Is it water damage? I'd have thought if it was water damage it wouldn't have worked for the day after it got wet? I wanted to buy a new phone anyway, so I'm not too pissed it's broken. But there's about 100 photos on there I really want to get off it and am not able to if it won't charge. The battery was starting to go anyway, and I'd ordered a new one a day or so before it got wet. I've since tried a different S2 battery in it though and it still won't turn on.

Any ideas what's wrong with it or how to get the photos off it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Have a Galaxy S2 that refuses to turn on or charge. Long story short is that I got stuck on a 4 hour walk in torrential rain where I was completely soaked through. The phone was in my jacket pocket but was a bit wet when I took it out, it was working fine though. Worked alright for the next day, then I found it dead in my pocket. Plugged it in and it started charging, so I figured I had nothing to worry about. Checked it later and it refused to charge or turn on, has been that way ever since.

Is it water damage? I'd have thought if it was water damage it wouldn't have worked for the day after it got wet? I wanted to buy a new phone anyway, so I'm not too pissed it's broken. But there's about 100 photos on there I really want to get off it and am not able to if it won't charge. The battery was starting to go anyway, and I'd ordered a new one a day or so before it got wet. I've since tried a different S2 battery in it though and it still won't turn on.

Any ideas what's wrong with it or how to get the photos off it?

take out the original battery and look at the top of it (maybe bottom) for a pink/red line. If you see one yeah thats more than likely water damaged.

I guess what you could do is the usual rice trick etc but it might not work especially after working and then dying.

for your photos any chance they saved to external SD card or synced with dropbox/google or anywhere else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Is there a removable memory card in the phone? If lucky the pics might be stored on that.

In future it would be best to backup. It's possible that you got free 50gb dropbox storage with the S2. Upload all your photos to it and you can never lose them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Pj! wrote: »
    Is there a removable memory card in the phone? If lucky the pics might be stored on that.

In future it would be best to backup. It's possible that you got free 50gb dropbox storage with the S2. Upload all your photos to it and you can never lose them.

link for details? thought that was s3 only, would like to get it for the GF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

You're probably best googling it for more details danniemcq.

A quick search shows this. Maybe it's network dependant, I'm not sure.

Advertisement