Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Login Problems - hacking attempt on account?

Options
  • 11-06-2013 6:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I was unable to login due to an error being displayed at each login attempt "Too many failed logins - use the change password facility".

After three (maybe two) failed logins I used the change password facility and waited in vain to get the email message with my new temporary password. It never arrived.

This morning I could login as normal using the original password. Is there any sign of hacking activity on my account? I seldom type username/password as I have an auto-login vault that stores urls and security details for a variety of sites, reducing the chances of inadvertently locking my self out.

It's a bit strange to say the least.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

You've nothing to worry about. As a precaution to stop people brute forcing passwords we restrict the amount of times an IP can fail to login. If where you were trying to log in from shares IP addresses among several users (e.g. most 3G/mobile phone ISPs, some places of work, colleges/universities etc) then it's possible you were blocked from logging in before you even made your first attempt by other users on the service. The lockout doesn't take long to clear which is why it was grand when you woke up this morning.

It happens quite a bit on internet forums, in fact over the weekend it happened to another account of ours on another site. It's nothing to be alarmed about unless it is persistent or causing you major disruption.

Danny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Thanks for that. No it's first time it ever happened.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement