Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing the ios7 beta?

• 11-06-2013 7:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭

What's the worst that could happen on a 4s?

Does it expire?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

OU812 wrote: »
    What's the worst that could happen on a 4s?

Does it expire?

Yes and is replaced by the next beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OU812

Thank culabula. It's better off not going on a daily use phone then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It has a beta tag for a reason. There's a big yellow warning when you log in to your developer account telling you the pros and cons of installing the beta.

I suggest you heed this warning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Your phone must also be registered with a developer account otherwise the Beta will turn your shiny phone into a small glass & metal brick.

Also be aware that some 3rd party apps just won't run until the full release in the Autumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Im running it on iPhone 4, (no 'S') it works fine, restored all my stuff from iOS 6 backup without problem. It's a bit slow on iPhone 4 so be wary of that, the only apps I have tried and they all work fine are:

Netflix
    Spotify
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Youtube
    Google Maps

• Advertisement

Adverts.ie App and Skype croaking on iOS 7 for me so far, everything else looks good. I've posted a larger list of working apps on the WWDC 2013 thread.

Apparently it's very sluggish, even on a 4S.

Remember, this is Beta 1, it looks far from ready,they dont even have the iPad version prepped yet. Proceed with caution.

You can however, revert to 6.1.3 afterwards.

Graham wrote: »
    Your phone must also be registered with a developer account otherwise the Beta will turn your shiny phone into a small glass & metal brick.

Also be aware that some 3rd party apps just won't run until the full release in the Autumn.

Last time, updated betas were offered over the air.

culabula wrote: »
    Apparently it's very sluggish, even on a 4S.

I'm finding it's quite snappy on an iPhone 5, will be interesting to see what that does to battery life though.

I'm finding it's quite snappy on an iPhone 5, will be interesting to see what that does to battery life though.

Good to know.

Am expecting a turbo SIM thingy this morning to "unlock" my 5, so I'll wait to see how I get on with that before I install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Anyone fancy registering my UDID although I'm sure I installed beta's before without doing so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

anyone configure findmyiphone ?

You can always roll back if needed

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guil wrote: »
    Anyone fancy registering my UDID although I'm sure I installed beta's before without doing so

no one will do that as if they're found out they'll be kicked off the developer program.

the only beta's that could be installed without a developer program was the golden master (GM) copies which are usually only out a week before the official release.

just wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

no one will do that as if they're found out they'll be kicked off the developer program.

the only beta's that could be installed without a developer program was the golden master (GM) copies which are usually only out a week before the official release.

just wait.

There easy to get.

I'm curious why a developer is giving 100 spots? Is it not to share them out?

There easy to get.

I'm curious why a developer is giving 100 spots? Is it not to share them out?

to be used internally by you or your authorised developers for the sole purpose of developing or testing applications.

Nowhere does it say you can share the 'spots' with randomers from the internet/friends etc.

guil wrote: »

So did I but this time I cannot get either file to install on my 4 or the one for the 4S on my.....4S.

Got my 4 UDID registered therefore; still doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Going by this thread on macrumors it seems it can be installed without registering your UDID by using shift/option + click on update (not restore) in itunes and select the ipsw for iOS7 . And you can downgrade to iOS 6 by goin into DFU mode and restoring.

Obviously try at your own risk but I'm tempted to try this later just to test out the new UI and functionality.

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Going by this thread on macrumors it seems it can be installed without registering your UDID by using shift/option + click on update (not restore) in itunes and select the ipsw for iOS7 . And you can downgrade to iOS 6 by goin into DFU mode and restoring.

Obviously try at your own risk but I'm tempted to try this later just to test out the new UI and functionality.

That's how you install any iOS Beta, doesn't mean it will be activated at the end of installation though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

Well reading that thread it seems it works for most, if not all, that have tried it. It appears if you do it by update and not restore that the phone stays activated and doesn't require re-activation. I'm only sharing what I've read through there so I'm not saying it definitely works.

Snippet from another forum, again not tested for accuracy.

can somebody please help me?! i went and downloaded and installed os7 without registering my udid hoping it would work... well it didnt im getting an unable to complete your activation message, at this point i just want to get back to os 6 but cant seem to figure out how to in itunes. i attached a pic of how itunes looks, any help would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I am not advocating anything against the forum charter.

I do not have a dev account, and my last iphone was definitely not stolen.

If you have an iphone 5 and want to install the ios7 beta in return for letting me play with it too over a pint, um, do not pm me.

The absolute last thing im sure either of us would like to do is to play with ios7. So, um, do not pm me if you're up for it.

banquo wrote: »
    If you have an iphone 5 and want to install the ios7 beta in return for letting me play with it too over a pint, um, do not pm me..

I heat your usual iOS test centre will be reopening shortly Banquo. :D

Snippet from another forum, again not tested for accuracy.

can somebody please help me?! i went and downloaded and installed os7 without registering my udid hoping it would work... well it didnt im getting an unable to complete your activation message, at this point i just want to get back to os 6 but cant seem to figure out how to in itunes. i attached a pic of how itunes looks, any help would be greatly appreciated
    DFU will always work though because the os hasn't bein loaded so iTunes doesn't know what firmware is on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Dave6195 wrote: »

i can confirm this works. I first updated doing shift+restore and it failed activation. I then rolled back to ios6 and did a shift+update. no problems.

ios7 seems a little laggy on my 4s, as in its not as smooth as i was expecting. maybe thats how it is on all devices, or im in the middle of restoring from an itunes backup as i use it, we'll see. its very nice looking....still strange as it the first time an iphone has looked this way but i like it.

anyone gone to landscape in their music player yet? just like a mac screensaver....

to be used internally by you or your authorised developers for the sole purpose of developing or testing applications.

Nowhere does it say you can share the 'spots' with randomers from the internet/friends etc.

Actually that is what I meant. Not sure if i was right with the 100 spots? It just seems an awful lot.

Most developers would be small scale though. Probably not have that many working for them. So is it Apple intention to give it to friends and family?

is there any ipsw links or are they all for mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

look on the last few posts of the WDC thread

https://mega.co.nz/#!yZEVhDiQ!K4vcWF...VfmGlg_kHhU5Io

be carefull upgrading..if you're phone is not registered as a dev device you need to updated to latest version of ios (6.4) and then shift+update to ios 7

Do not shift+restore as I did..pain in the ass to fix if you do.:(

App updates don't seem to be limited to 50mb anymore. I had an auto update of one that was 97mb. It gave a warning and then updated over 3G

Is anyone else having problems restoring from Backup? Mine is taking ages. Then stalls.
    It's not working if I use iTunes or icloud.

• Advertisement

Is anyone else having problems restoring from Backup? Mine is taking ages. Then stalls.
    It's not working if I use iTunes or icloud.

Didn't have to restore. Everything was as it was before I updated, I read online that iCloud backup wouldn't work properly and you needed a local backup

Advertisement