Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing the ios7 beta?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Just log into to your US iTunes account and it will appear in the Music app.

Loverly....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but has anyone else noticed that on the iPad you can slide anywhere on the lock screen to unlock? Is the iPhone like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but has anyone else noticed that on the iPad you can slide anywhere on the lock screen to unlock? Is the iPhone like this?

Yep, same as in B1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Isn't that kind of dumb? I have a enough trouble as it is accidentally sliding up and activating the camera. With iOS 7, if I so much as touch off the screen it's going to activate something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Isn't that kind of dumb? I have a enough trouble as it is accidentally sliding up and activating the camera. With iOS 7, if I so much as touch off the screen it's going to activate something.

Surely it's easier to miss the camera if you are sliding from the middle?

• Advertisement

Surely it's easier to miss the camera if you are sliding from the middle?

Well, on the iPad at least you can slide from anywhere. Sliding anywhere from left to right will unlock the device. And sliding anywhere from the top or bottom of the screen will active Notification Centre or Control Centre. If the iPhone is the same, then it'll make it much harder not to accidentally activate something.

It would make more sense if you had to slide up or down from the middle or left to right along the "slide to unlock" bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think it's fine the way it is. I haven't accidentally touched any of the other functions whilst trying to unlock the phone.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think it's fine the way it is. I haven't accidentally touched any of the other functions whilst trying to unlock the phone.

Unless you have a task that pops up on Notifications on lock screen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Installing now...

*scared*

Unless you have a task that pops up on Notifications on lock screen

Why? Sliding still doesn't have any effect and you can tap the notification to get into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Swiping left on a conversation will show the exact time of that conversation. It then bounces back.

about bloody time! Very useful addition!
    Timers:

Now appear on the lock screen if you set one up and lock the screen.
    Same as the alarms, if you choose to snooze. Very very useful!

Liking it. A lot.

No problems yet, obviously. iMessage took a bit of on/off again to get working but is fine now. Got iRadio working and that seems great. Pity my data allowance is already munched for this month thanks to the WWDC!

The photo app is really good now. It's great you don't have to use "clump" view, but it works pretty good when you do.

One small annoyance is have to use the homebutton to come out of multitasking mode where before you could tap on a part of the screen not being used to exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Anyone else have issues using it in sunlight?

Dades wrote: »
    One small annoyance is have to use the homebutton to come out of multitasking mode where before you could tap on a part of the screen not being used to exit.

You can tap on the screen to get back. Eg tap the home screen to get back to that. Or tap the app you want to go to. It makes sense that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

miralize wrote: »
    Anyone else have issues using it in sunlight?

Insofar as I have to bring brightness to full but nothing more than that. Also battery life significantly improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

beta 2 solved my facebook problem. sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Anyone getting two if not three notifications per notification? It's getting a tad annoying.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Why? Sliding still doesn't have any effect and you can tap the notification to get into it.

If there is a task open on the lockscreen and you swipe to open , then it opens the task aswell..

No biggie...just an observation

Anyone getting two if not three notifications per notification? It's getting a tad annoying.

In beta 1 I had an issue with deleting a notification and it appears again right away. Then it deleted the second time. Haven't noticed it happening in beta 2 though.

Okay, so my iPhone more or less died after a tried to get a podcast playing on the way home. :pac:

The screen locked a few times and finally, after trying to restart it, just hung completely. Now it's in a cycle of trying to boot up, failing, going blank, trying again... etc.

iTunes in my home laptop isn't "trusted" and since I can't acknowledge a new trusted device on my iPhone (as requested by iTunes), I can't access the device from it. I'll have to wait until I'm in work tomorrow to see if my work laptop - my usual syncing device - can wake it up, or at least allow me to restore it...

Any thoughts welcome!

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Okay, so my iPhone more or less died after a tried to get a podcast playing on the way home. :pac:

The screen locked a few times and finally, after trying to restart it, just hung completely. Now it's in a cycle of trying to boot up, failing, going blank, trying again... etc.

iTunes in my home laptop isn't "trusted" and since I can't acknowledge a new trusted device on my iPhone (as requested by iTunes), I can't access the device from it. I'll have to wait until I'm in work tomorrow to see if my work laptop - my usual syncing device - can wake it up, or at least allow me to restore it...

Any thoughts welcome!

I don't think - by the sounds of it - that that is a full reboot. Are you seeing a progress bar?

The springboard is very unstable. When it crashes it shows the Apple icon on a black screen. You might want to try an actual reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

So after some time playing around with iOS 7 on the iPad, I noticed a few things:
    • It doesn't have that "depth" feature when you move the iPad around, as shown on the iPhone, which gave the illusion that you could see behind the App icons on the homescreen. Not sure if it is just my device, or if it will come in a later beta if at all??
    • All my previous content I purchased through iTunes (on my American account) now appears in the Music/Video App, and allows me to stream the
      h content or download it there and then. Very handy if you couldn't be arsed to wait to download a movie and just want to watch it there and then.
    • I noticed alright how during the keynote how the screen could be unlocked by swiping anywhere on the screen. While that's not too bad on the iPad, I'm sure it'll be a nightmare for iPhone/iPod Touch users. Have to say though, that the lockscreen controls for music looks much nicer than previous generations.
    • iTunes Radio is a great new feature. While it offers nothing new compared to Pandora, it's nice to have it there in the Music App. And the Ads are not too obtrusive.

Also surprised how stable the beta is. Very little bugs, only the odd glitch and stutter here and there. And all the Apps I've tried so far all work fine. I still think though that the OS is better suited for the iPhone. It's just another case of a direct port from the iPhone to the iPad, just stretched nicely to fit the screen. Given the high volume of sales of the iPad, it'd be nice if they dedicated more time to it and give us some unique features to suit the iPad and its bigger screen.

Dman001 wrote: »
    So after some time playing around with iOS 7 on the iPad, I noticed a few things:
    • It doesn't have that "depth" feature when you move the iPad around, as shown on the iPhone, which gave the illusion that you could see behind the App icons on the homescreen. Not sure if it is just my device, or if it will come in a later beta if at all??

It does. Or it does on my iPad 2 anyway. But it is quite subtle and is more noticeable on certain backgrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It does. Or it does on my iPad 2 anyway. But it is quite subtle and is more noticeable on certain backgrounds.
    Ah will give it another lash so, I'm using one of the included bubble "Dynamic" wallpapers at the mo, so maybe due to that.

Yeah the dynamic wallpapers work a bit differently. The bubbles do move but you don't get the same sense of depth. Try any of the ordinary backgrounds.

Dman001 wrote: »
    • All my previous content I purchased through iTunes (on my American account) now appears in the Music/Video App, and allows me to stream the
      h content or download it there and then. Very handy if you couldn't be arsed to wait to download a movie and just want to watch it there and then.
    • I noticed alright how during the keynote how the screen could be unlocked by swiping anywhere on the screen. While that's not too bad on the iPad, I'm sure it'll be a nightmare for iPhone/iPod Touch users. Have to say though, that the lockscreen controls for music looks much nicer than previous generations.
    • iTunes Radio is a great new feature. While it offers nothing new compared to Pandora, it's nice to have it there in the Music App. And the Ads are not too obtrusive.

Also surprised how stable the beta is. Very little bugs, only the odd glitch and stutter here and there. And all the Apps I've tried so far all work fine. I still think though that the OS is better suited for the iPhone. It's just another case of a direct port from the iPhone to the iPad, just stretched nicely to fit the screen. Given the high volume of sales of the iPad, it'd be nice if they dedicated more time to it and give us some unique features to suit the iPad and its bigger screen.

The Paralax effect (3D Effect) was turned on automatically when I upgraded to iOS 7 on my iPad (3rd Gen). But if you go into General>Accessibilty you can turn the effect on and off. Maybe check it out to see if it's on or not.

Also in regard of the iPad version not really being tailored to take advantage of the bigger screen, give it time. I'm amazed at how much has changed in a year compared to previous major iOS updated. So I'd say over the next few months a things will improve. Even the final version that's released to the public will more than likely still have problems due to the volume of changes they've added to this update.

Another thing of note is those small point updates like iOS 7.1 will probably include much bigger changes in the future. There's so much in this update that Apple will need to continuously tweak until its perfect. This years WWDC has certainly made me exited about the future of iOS.

I don't think - by the sounds of it - that that is a full reboot. Are you seeing a progress bar?

The springboard is very unstable. When it crashes it shows the Apple icon on a black screen. You might want to try an actual reboot.
    Have tried a full reboot - wont boot up. No progress bar - instead the apple logo appears and the spinning animation freezes.

Will be in work this morning and hoping iTunes will at least see the phone.

I'm amazed that swiping anywhere from the lock screen is causing angst. It's easier just swipe the screen than a UI - mostly I do it in the middle.

Have managed to unbrick my phone by downloading and restoring 6.1.4 - Jasus.

A mate has an Apple Dev account so will give 7 one more try with the "official" beta I'm downloading now (Apple servers are sloooooow).

For those still testing iOS 7 - is the podcast app giving any trouble??

• Advertisement

I'm amazed that swiping anywhere from the lock screen is causing angst. It's easier just swipe the screen than a UI - mostly I do it in the middle.

Not causing angst...also swiping in the middle...just people making observations about a beta 2 software release

Advertisement