Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing the ios7 beta?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can finally hide news stand, a 3G only setting now and life would be complete!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You can finally hide news stand, a 3G only setting now and life would be complete!!

As in place it in a Folder? That was added in the first beta.

DubDJ wrote: »
    As in place it in a Folder? That was added in the first beta.

I tried earlier today and it wouldn't let me in beta 2.

Can't select section for ad when placing something for sale on donedeal since upgrade to beta 3. Might be worth staying on 2 if you need to sell stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Can't select section for ad when placing something for sale on donedeal since upgrade to beta 3. Might be worth staying on 2 if you need to sell stuff.

What a bizarre reason to stay on an old beta.

"We have a selling emergency, I need to use Dondeal stat!"

miralize wrote: »
    What a bizarre reason to stay on an old beta.

"We have a selling emergency, I need to use Dondeal stat!"

Panic over it worked after a reboot:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

They made the fonts thicker. Hurray! I knew that wasn't going to last.

I quite liked the thin fonts, apart from the status bar, I've managed to reduce the size of the new one back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

naasrd wrote: »
    I quite liked the thin fonts, apart from the status bar, I've managed to reduce the size of the new one back.

The fact that there's any control over it at all is very unlike Apple and suggests internal division.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

This has probably been asked a hundred times already, but how do you get it onto an iPhone 4? I've never done anything like this and haven't a clue how to do it.

:)
    The fact that there's any control over it at all is very unlike Apple and suggests internal division.

They let you set a wallpaper too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

1ZRed wrote: »
    This has probably been asked a hundred times already, but how do you get it onto an iPhone 4? I've never done anything like this and haven't a clue how to do it.

If you're a registered developer, go to the dev centre, download the right firmware for the iPhone 4 and then restore to the downloaded ipsw in iTunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Don't forget though, betas expire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Everything seems to be running so smoothly since the update. No bugs to note so far, hopefully it stays that way!

Zcott wrote: »
    If you're a registered developer, go to the dev centre, download the right firmware for the iPhone 4 and then restore to the downloaded ipsw in iTunes.

I'm not a developer, if I was this would be simple. How are most of ye doing it?

I'm not a developer, if I was this would be simple. How are most of ye doing it?

Download the iOS 7 beta file (google will easily point you in the right direction). Once you have the file open iTunes. Hold the Option Key (Mac) or Shift Key (Windows) while clicking the 'check for update' in iTunes. Navigate to the downloaded file and select it. Your iPhone will then be updated with the iOS 7 beta.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Download the iOS 7 beta file (google will easily point you in the right direction). Once you have the file open iTunes. Hold the Option Key (Mac) or Shift Key (Windows) while clicking the 'check for update' in iTunes. Navigate to the downloaded file and select it. Your iPhone will then be updated with the iOS 7 beta.

Ok sounds good. I've heard it could possibly brick your phone, is that an actual possibility?

Are there any precautions I should take in advance like making sure I can go back to iOS 6 of things feck up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

I wouldn't recommend installing the iOS 7 beta if you plan to use it on your main device, betas are mainly for developers to test the new features. Yes, you can revert back to iOS 6 using iTunes at any time. iOS 7 will officially come out within the next few months anyway.

Ok sounds good. I've heard it could possibly brick your phone, is that an actual possibility?

Are there any precautions I should take in advance like making sure I can go back to iOS 6 of things feck up?

Even with an official update there's always chances things can go wrong. I'd advise backing up and then copying the backup file to a safe place. If anything goes wrong just downgrade to that backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

balls...I'm over in Poland with no access to 3g and my internet speed in the hotel is a measly 512kb..might upgrade for the one hour plan to update to beta 3

No. It won't brick your iphone. IOS 7 is stunning, install it. It's been running like a dream for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Backup backup backup. Plug into iTunes and manually start a backup so that if something doesn't work, you can roll back ok.

Also, I usually manually copy over all my pictures to a local folder so I don't lose them, double check I've no important notes or apps that have important data.

And it's best to set up as a new phone instead of restoring all your settings from a local backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

makoten wrote: »
    Yes, you can revert back to iOS 6 using iTunes at any time. iOS 7 will officially come out within the next few months anyway.

Some parts of iOS7 cannot be removed with a revert. The new security feature to track your phone if it is stolen is the main part.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Did a clean install over factory settings and seems all good.
    Fingers crossed.

Time to start looking for a decent "Reminders" app though as the iOS 7 changes have destroyed the Apple one. Turned off the parallax effect too, as it wasn't smooth and was making me nervous of crashing.

Dades wrote: »
    Did a clean install over factory settings and seems all good.
    Fingers crossed.

Time to start looking for a decent "Reminders" app though as the iOS 7 changes have destroyed the Apple one. Turned off the parallax effect too, as it wasn't smooth and was making me nervous of crashing.

Stopped using Reminders after beta 1, thought it'd be in pretty good nick by now. What are you seeing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Much more impressed with Beta 3 on i pad 2, everything running more smoothly and liking the minor interface touch ups.

Looking forward to getting this on my i phone but gona wait for the official release for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I miss the skinny fonts, it looks dated with the fat fonts.

TBi wrote: »
    I miss the skinny fonts, it looks dated legible with the fat fonts.
    FYP. That has to be the priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

miralize wrote: »
    FYP. That has to be the priority.

I could read it fine with skinny fonts, even with my glasses off and i'm half blind!

Definitely looks dated and no change in legibility for me.

TBi wrote: »
    I could read it fine with skinny fonts, even with my glasses off and i'm half blind!

Definitely looks dated and no change in legibility for me.

Its not about just reading the words. There need to be visual hierarchy. If everything is the same font weight, its very hard to skim..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hobbes wrote: »
    Some parts of iOS7 cannot be removed with a revert. The new security feature to track your phone if it is stolen is the main part.

All you have to do there is disable find my iPhone on the phone to restore. I did it a week or 2 ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Have rolled back as going to the US, When I come back am planning to install Beta3

Do I need to install Beta 1 st and then 2 OTS or would beta 3 be sufficient on its own?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement