Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aya o/u game gun question

Options
  • 11-06-2013 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Lads
    Just wondering can I use my AYA o/u game gun for shooting clays.
    Need to shoot up to 125 clays a week for next couple of months to practice shooting left handed.
    Is this game gun built to do this or will I damage it overtime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

125 clays altogether or over the coarse of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fitzy_fitzy

Maybe split twice a week (50) (75) or (75) (75)
    No more than 75 at a time i would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

Ive never come across an O/U by AYA any pics :) ?
    I used to have a Lanber game gun that I used for clays when I was big into them (100 a week at least) The gun was great because it was three quarter and half choke and had 28" barrels including a selector. Plenty of lads out there using game guns for clays, in fact a lot of lads prefer them to typical clay guns !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I'm not to sure but I use my gun. If I were you just don't let the barrel get to hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭fitzy_fitzy

The reason i ask is one of the instructors i went too reckoned a game gun isn't built for shooting clays continously.
    I wanted second opinion.
    Don't want to damage gun long term.
    Only shooting clays at the moment as need to practice of the left shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

If its an old and valuable AYA and you dont want to risk it then dont. I know a lad that has a browning game gun from the 70's and it still gets 50-100 shots every weekend at the leagues. A gun isnt built to be ok to fire a few shots here and there, they are meant to stand up to a few hundred thousand shots and years of abuse (some are).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

The reason i ask is one of the instructors i went too reckoned a game gun isn't built for shooting clays continously.
    I wanted second opinion.
    Don't want to damage gun long term.
    Only shooting clays at the moment as need to practice of the left shoulder.

They are not really designed for it,as in a bit light and recoil from continuous shooting will show on your shoulder:D, it wont do any harm to the gun, like all target rifles or trap guns they are normally heavier to reduce recoil, as with game guns are lighter for walking about with, go for it thay are designed and tested to do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It's an Aya so build quality will be good.

Given its a game gun and probably a lot lighter than a dedicated clay gun your shoulder is going to suffer more than the gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I see fellas on about sore shoulders.. Trap carts are like 28g?..

I blew off nearly 300 Camo 37g 5's yesterday battering a rookery.. Shoulder was fine..

If you're shoulder hurts there are 2 reasons.. Bad fitting or holding the gun wrong..

28g of charge shouldn't even tickle a guy.

'hdz

Advertisement