Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Cong from Galway city on a Sunday?

Options
  • 11-06-2013 8:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads and lassies.

Doe any of you know of a way to get from Galway city to Cong and then back on a sunday?

The bus service only seems to run Monday - Saturday and even at that it looks like it's not possible to make the return on the same day.

Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Odd there is no bus.
    Is there a shop or a pub in Cong you could buzz who would have more local knowledge?
    Has to be something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I dunno the village at all to be honest, only even been there for a few hours at a time, might be worth a try just calling a few places though, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Bus Eireann have services running from Galway thru Ballinrobe to Castlebar Westport etc, but none of these afaik go around by Cong.

Taxi would be the only option Ballinrobe/Cong or Kilmaine/Cong

The usual Ashford Castle guests would not be bus users, but I know some of the Ashford staff used to stay in Ballinrobe. You could try a call to the porter in AC to enquire about a lift.

There may be some boat excursions thru Lough Corrib Galway toCong. V ery scenic, but may cost. Luskins Cong used to run such and also some Galway boats. Tourist office may know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Hire a car for yourself would be the best way really.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Hire a car for yourself would be the best way really.

Hmmmm, looking like the easiest option... Maybe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

You could get the bus to Ballinrobe then hitch to Cong, only about 8 miles out the road. You're best option I'm afraid.

You could get the bus to Ballinrobe then hitch to Cong, only about 8 miles out the road. You're best option I'm afraid.

looks like it doesn't run on sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

You could get a bus to Headford or Ballinrobe and a hackney cab the rest of the way.

Feck this, it's looking far cheaper to just rent a car from Galway for the day than get a combination of busses and taxis.

I really can't understand how there isn't at least one bus to cong in the morning and one back to galway in the early evening every day, especially during the tourist season, between the castle and the abbey and quiet man stuff in the village the village is swamped with tourists almost every day, especially the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Seaneh wrote: »
    Feck this, it's looking far cheaper to just rent a car from Galway for the day than get a combination of busses and taxis.

I really can't understand how there isn't at least one bus to cong in the morning and one back to galway in the early evening every day, especially during the tourist season, between the castle and the abbey and quiet man stuff in the village the village is swamped with tourists almost every day, especially the weekends.
    The area might be swamped with tourists but the vast majority of these come by coach tour or their own cars.

• Advertisement

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    The area might be swamped with tourists but the vast majority of these come by coach tour or their own cars.

Because there is no other option if you want to see the village than to get a half hour stop during one of the tours that goes out to kylemore via the fjorde or rent a car and go yourself.

If there was a proper bus service people, especially tourists, would use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It used to have a bus service but it was cut around 2009 during a larger national cut of services. It didn't really get much use which was a shame, particularly during the winter. Most of the tourists are on coach tours as mentioned above. Nice place and lovely village though. I would recommend a visit for a day trip if the weather is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

I will probably be coming back from Galway through Cong next Sunday leaving Galway around 1 or 2 pm if you want a lift.

Hey, cheers for the DB, it's sunday week I'm looking to get there though :)

For anyone who's even wondered how to do this, I have figure out a way.

You can get one way tickets to and from cong with some of the tour companies.

Get a one way ticket to cong form galway with company x in the morning and a one way from cong to galway with company y in the afternoon and you should be able to spend about 4.5/5 hours in the village and forest. Which is my plan :D

Advertisement