Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naval piercing/re-piercing help

• 11-06-2013 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Hello all I have a question about naval piercing that I really hope someone can help me with.

I got my naval pierced years and years ago and I loved it. But my body didn't and rejected the piercing :(. I woke up one morning to find my body bar lying in the bed beside me. I'd really love to get it done again but I don't think I can because there is scar tissue there now.

Am I right in thinking that or could I get a piercing right beside where the old one was? If the problem is that it would look terrible then that's not a problem for me as I don't plan on swanning around in belly tops and showing off the piercing (I have a three month old so I'm covering up for the benefit of people with eyesight everywhere!) it would just be for me because I really liked it when I had it the last time.

Or would I just be wasting my time and money because it'll almost certainly just come out like the previous one? If anyone has any experience of similiar I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

There's really no knowing if a piercing will reject just because one did in the past. It might and it might not! Not really a waste of time so, its always a risk. Just make sure you know the proper aftercare.

I've had places re pierced. Go to a really good piercer who will be able to identify the scar tissue and pierce as close as is possible to it. And they'll give you advice on preventing rejection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

That's encouraging, thank you Peach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

Navel is a very common piercing, but you usually pierce through an anatomical fold, like an eyebrow piercing. This means that there's naturally gonna be a little pressure, which will make it take a little longer to heal, and more likely to be irritated. An experienced piercing artist will use high quality jewellery to eliminate chance of allergic reaction, pierce at an angle that will minimise pressure, and give you an aftercare regime that will give the piercing the best chance of healing. A piercing rejecting once absolutely does not mean it would reject the second time. Find a piercer who knows what they're doing and be prepared to pay a little extra, but it should be very possible. And good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I'd second what has been said by the others above. Pay a little extra to go to a well known studio with an experienced piercer. People here can give you recommendations if you say where you are in the country. I had to take my bellybar out the first time due to infection but had it pierced again a few months later by another guy and it's been fine since! :)

Thank you RhoDoDenDron and mahamageehad. I will certainly be looking for an expert piercer and a high quality bar. I don't mind paying a bit extra to get a high quality piercing done well, I'd rather pay more now and do everything to increase the chances of keeping the piercing than go somewhere cheaper and end up wasting the money because the bar has come through again!

I'm in Laois and while looking for piercers I found New Faze. If anyone has any experience of them I'd love to hear. I like the fact that they don't pierce children's ears under the age of five.

But I don't have to get it done in Laois, I'd be willing to travel a few counties in any direction if I need to do that to get the right person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Thank you RhoDoDenDron and mahamageehad. I will certainly be looking for an expert piercer and a high quality bar. I don't mind paying a bit extra to get a high quality piercing done well, I'd rather pay more now and do everything to increase the chances of keeping the piercing than go somewhere cheaper and end up wasting the money because the bar has come through again!

I'm in Laois and while looking for piercers I found New Faze. If anyone has any experience of them I'd love to hear. I like the fact that they don't pierce children's ears under the age of five.

But I don't have to get it done in Laois, I'd be willing to travel a few counties in any direction if I need to do that to get the right person.

I can't give you any recommendations up that side of the country I'm afraid. As for the jewelry I personally only use surgical grade titanium in my piercings because my body seems to hate piercings! :( Also I have a glass one at the minute that hasn't gotten irritated yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I wouldn't rely on a place based on this fact alone. Ask around see if anyone you know has been.

I had a piercing redone by Steve in Snakebite. He says its lower than the original hole, but I genuinely can't see it. Must be just by a smidge. Just a thought if you have any pans to be in Dublin soonish.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭RhoDoDenDron

New Faze are hacks. No no no no no. Would highly not advise! I've seen so many screwed up piercings come out of that studio. Go to Vegas/V2 in Portlaoise if you're not willing to travel to Dublin, they're more than capable of doing a navel piercing.

Grand, New Faze are out so! No I'm perfectly happy to wait until I'm in Dublin again. I'll even drop into a few places and talk to someone before proceeding. Will try Snakebite thanks Peach.

I did hear glass was recommended but I'd be worried it might shatter! I'm sure it wouldn't though really - if it did they wouldn't use it.

Now that I've decided to go ahead with it I'm excited to get it done but I'm definately gonna wait and get it done right.

Thanks for all your help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 veryniceme

go to a very good artist and she will know what to do. use titanium or the non-allergic material. avoid plastic

• Advertisement
Advertisement