Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing my dog terribly.

• 11-06-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭

This time last week, almost to the hour, my wife and I buried our beloved dog "Dizzy" in our back garden. She was an eleven year old Tibetan Terrier. She had suffered two epileptic type seizures, the second of which she never recovered from. The vet advised that it would be best for her to be put to sleep. The decision was made easier for us, given the stress she was in at the end.

I have repeated all the usual facts to myself over and over again, i.e. she had a long and happy life/she never knew a harsh word/she is better off now/you did the right thing, etc. While I know these things are all true, they don't help much at present. I know that as time goes by, I will start to come to terms with it. We intend to give ourselves some breathing space, maybe a month or so, and then get another dog. Bad as it is now, it would be a lot worse if she was lost, and we did not know if she was safe.

I know that lots of you have gone through a similar experience. That's why I wanted to air my feelings here with people whom I know can identify with it.

Thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

my condolensces. i have yet to experience this pain but i dread the day. my two are 6 and 3 and i miss them if i go away for the weekend. i dont even like grooming day when they're gone for a few hours as the house is too quiet without them. i really cant imagine how hard it must be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sorry for your loss, it is proper grief, just like losing a loved human, so allow yourself time, and feel however you feel, no feelings are wrong in this situation.

When you are ready to take on another dog, it sounds like he or she will be very lucky x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

my condolensces. i have yet to experience this pain but i dread the day. my two are 6 and 3 and i miss them if i go away for the weekend. i dont even like grooming day when they're gone for a few hours as the house is too quiet without them. i really cant imagine how hard it must be.

Thanks for your sympathy. :) Your dogs are still young, so you still have a long time to enjoy them. This is my first time too, though I'm sure it is no easier on the second or third time around.

I too, was like yourself, in that I could not bear to be without my dog for even a day. My wife and I are both retired, so "Dizzy" was with us 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Rigsby wrote: »
    Thanks for your sympathy. :) Your dogs are still young, so you still have a long time to enjoy them. This is my first time too, though I'm sure it is no easier on the second or third time around.

I too, was like yourself, in that I could not bear to be without my dog for even a day. My wife and I are both retired, so "Dizzy" was with us 24/7.

Sorry for the loss of your much loved pet.

I found when I lost my first dog it affected me far more than when I lost my later pets. It did not mean that I cared less later on, it was just I found it easier to cope having gone through the situation before.

I also found that having another dog helped me cope after my first dog died. Again, I did not forget my first dog but found caring for another dog helped me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

A dog is so much part of your family, and you love them as you do other family members - maybe even more so in that its unconditional love, so there is a grieving process when a pet dies. I think hard too in your case since you are retired OP and as you say your dog was around you all day.

Im looking at my upside-down-on-my-lap-snoring 15 year old terrier and know that every day we have him is a bonus. I can see his 'lump' and warts and feel his wonky shoulder and watch his strange new lump on his paw, and dread the day, but you know what, we dog lovers wouldnt be without them, even though we know that when they die our hearts are broken. When you get your new dog, it will be easier I hope, and you can enjoy getting to know and love your new canine companion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Hi op,
    Just wanted to let you know that we are in the same boat! I had to burry my dog on Tuesday morning and it was the most heart breaking experience ever. I still find myself calling him when I get home or I still finding myself 'accidentally' dropping food thinking he's at my feet.

I find thinking about all the fun we had over the past 14 years ease the pain, hopefully it will help you too. Unfortunately it doesn't help the empty feeling of walking into the sitting room without him sitting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Rigsby, my heart aches for you both. When we lost our two fur kids, just months apart in 2004, the pain was almost too much to stand, there were days when I honestly thought I would never smile again, my heart was in pieces. You are so right, your little girl did have a wonderful life and there is not one thing she would change, given the chance. In time, that will bring you comfort and the healing will begin.

I am so glad that you are going to get another doggy, when the time is right. A house without a fur baby, is not a home.

RIP Dizzy, have fun at Rainbow Bridge with all the other fur angels. Bless you all.

Many thanks to everyone who has replied and aknowledged my post by "thanks". :)

It is comforting to realise the others have been there and got through it. I know that when we get another dog, it will help to take our minds away from the sadness of our loss.

On the subject of another dog, only today, I made inquiries about another one. He is a rescued two year old shih tzu who is currently with a foster owner. Seemingly his elderly owner was not able to look after him properly and the dog was in a bad state. He is recovering well now. We are going to see him at the week end. We explained to the foster owner that we intend taking a short holiday first and would take him on our return. She very kindly agreed to look after him until then.

So, hopefully, in a few weeks time, assuming all is OK when we see him, the patter of paws will once again be heard in this house, and "the blues" will have been chased away. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Rigsby, I have Tibetan i love to bits, he's nutty as squirrel poo (as my daughter says)and such great fun, I have lost dogs in the past, heart breaks every time, and knowing Tibetans are such a wonderful breed, it's bringing tears to my eyes reading this.
    No matter how hard the loss, I will always get another dog, they are family, and I went 8 years without a dog, I never realised just how much I missed having one.
    I hope you find another dog to bring more joy to your life when you'r ready. Treasure the memories, each dog I've had is different, and I have great memories of all of them.

You posted while I typed, I hope he's the one for you, great to see you help another dog even in your pain, look forward to seeing a pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

A dog brings bundles of love & many happy hours . I'm very sorry for your loss and wish you happy memories of your tibetan friend who you cared for and loved so well, as well as new happy beginnings giving this new dog a second chance & loving home.

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »

You posted while I typed, I hope he's the one for you, great to see you help another dog even in your pain, look forward to seeing a pic.

Thanks mymo !

Yes, I'll let you all know (plus pics), when the "new arrival" comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

My little dog, a heartbeat at my feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Rigsby wrote: »
    Many thanks to everyone who has replied and aknowledged my post by "thanks". :)

It is comforting to realise the others have been there and got through it. I know that when we get another dog, it will help to take our minds away from the sadness of our loss.

On the subject of another dog, only today, I made inquiries about another one. He is a rescued two year old shih tzu who is currently with a foster owner. Seemingly his elderly owner was not able to look after him properly and the dog was in a bad state. He is recovering well now. We are going to see him at the week end. We explained to the foster owner that we intend taking a short holiday first and would take him on our return. She very kindly agreed to look after him until then.

So, hopefully, in a few weeks time, assuming all is OK when we see him, the patter of paws will once again be heard in this house, and "the blues" will have been chased away. :)

My beloved JRT is buried in the back garden too. Did a load of work over the weekend out there and I must admit I was chatting away to 'her' about what I was doing as she always got extra protective when we had been gardening. We buried her in the spot where she used to sit while on guard - even when she was deaf and blind.

Like you I got a rescue dog a month after (even went on a holiday first). I got a JRT who had been terribly abused and was not expected to live due to a massive infection (I must point out that the rescue did not know she was so ill as she puts up a good 'front' - the vet discovered it when I took her to be microchipped.) I think saving her saved me too. I was so heart broken but knew it was Gráinne's time but new girl Gillie had never had a 'time'. She had only known abuse - so I was determined that she would bloody well live and have a great life - even if the start of that great life was a bit delayed. 8 months on I miss Gráinne every single day - and every single day I am thankful Gillie is having a ball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Rigsby, I'm so sorry for your loss and I feel your pain. It's almost four weeks since my CKC, Molly, was put to sleep, and yet I swear I can still hear her running up the stairs to sit with me while I potter on the PC :o

I admire you for jumping straight back in and giving a rescue dog a forever home. It sounds like you and he will be very happy together :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

its been 18 months since a had to put my beloved dalmie to sleep i am lucky i was able to bury her at home with us she was 1 of six springers i had 5 now even with 5 more to look after i still miss her everyday

everyday when the others are having their morning and evening run about i still pass by her resting place and have a little chat with her

im so sorry that you had to make the hard decision to put your doggy to sleep but its only natural that you are hurting and will for a while yet think of the good times ye shared and have no regrets its very obvious you wer a good careful and loving owner and will be again i wise old neighbour once said to me you cant replace the dog but you can start a new friendship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I know how you feel, had to put my beloved lab Marley to sleep January 3 years ago, he was only 10 years old. The pain never goes away, but it does get easier, the first few months I was a mess, he was and remains the only pet I've ever had and I adored him. Don't be afraid to grieve, he wasn't "just a dog" as some people would say, they are a permanent fixture in our lives and it takes a lot of adapting when they go...

At least now I can look back with a smile about the memories I had with my fella instead of bursting into tears. I also posted here and the replies I got were very helpful. Make sure to post a photo in the pictures thread.

Dave147 wrote: »
    he wasn't "just a dog" as some people would say,

Thankfully we have had great support from friends and relations. I think everyone that knows us, knew that "Dizzy" was a LOT more than "just a dog" to us.

If someone did use that phrase to me, even at present, I doubt if I would be upset. I would merely feel sorry for that person, because they'll never experience the unconditional joy and companionship that a dog can provide.

Lots of posters have described my feelings to a tee. I feel a lot better for starting the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭kittycati

So sorry for your loss. Dog was very lucky to have you, and had wonderful life - when you think of strays etc . . May have passed on but memories stay forever with you.

Advertisement