Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Supply Query

Options
  • 11-06-2013 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm building a custom PC, the spec is

AMD AM3 FX8120 Bulldozer
    8GB Ram
    Asus M5 78L-M USB3 Motherboard
    Sapphire HD 7850 2GB Graphics Card

I'm getting this Power Supply http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/13403976/art/corsair/gaming-series-pc-power-su.html

Will it be ok? I want a slightly more powerful PSU just to sort of future proof any upgrades later.. but will this PSU be ok for the current spec? I'm pretty comfortable with every other part just the PSU and rails and all that sort of aren't my forte.. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

bassybekx wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm building a custom PC, the spec is

AMD AM3 FX8120 Bulldozer
    8GB Ram
    Asus M5 78L-M USB3 Motherboard
    Sapphire HD 7850 2GB Graphics Card

I'm getting this Power Supply http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/13403976/art/corsair/gaming-series-pc-power-su.html

Will it be ok? I want a slightly more powerful PSU just to sort of future proof any upgrades later.. but will this PSU be ok for the current spec? I'm pretty comfortable with every other part just the PSU and rails and all that sort of aren't my forte.. Thanks in advance

It's way overkill.from where are you buying your parts? Get a 450 Amazon Super Flower for half the price from Hardwareversand if you're buying other parts from there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bassybekx

Buying the parts from ebay, pixmania, custompc .. the graphics card says on the side of the box requires 500watt PSU so should i go 600? is there a downside to the 700 though? ok its overkill but will it cause any problem because like i said i plan to upgrade this a really future proof it?

although im looking at hardwareversand atm theyre actually alot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Judging from the parts you picked you could do with some help. There are better options. The 8320 would be a better processor as it uses the latest architecture. A 660gtx can be got for less than a 7850 and outperforms it but you could probably get a better amd card anyway.

You should fill these questions out and we could help you get the most of your money.

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.].

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

It sounds like you don't know a lot about building computers. Make a post here and answer the questions in the forum charter and we can properly help out. With PSUs, quality beats quantity. 550w is all you need MAX for any single card system. And usually 400-450w will do.

• Advertisement

1. What is your budget? [€450-€500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming "BF3" "Crysis" "Several other high spec games"/Web Design]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive-2x500GB(WD&SeagateBaracuda)1x320GB WD Scorpio BLue/Case-Old iQon with 140mm Fan at rear

5. Do you need a monitor? [No-purchased already]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [22']

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Wireless Card]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Visa/Paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 1 days - spreading the purchases out hopefully the rest today or tomorrow]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Monaghan].

I have the Monitor, GFX card, case, hard drives, OS, Mouse, all i need now is the CPU, RAM, MoBo, PSU, Wireless Card and a keyboard.

What do you mean? Have you ordered that bundle already?

BloodBath wrote: »
    What do you mean? Have you ordered that bundle already?

no not yet .. but your guy said the fx8320 so i looked it up to query it

How about something like this? Went with a new case as well as it's great value for money and probably a lot better than your old one and can be done with the budget.

Item|Price
    AMD FX-8320 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€142.13
    ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0, AM3+, ATX|€71.39
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 500W|€53.77
    Samsung SSD 840 120GB SATA 6Gb/s|€81.99
    Cooltek Antiphon Black, ohne Netzteil|€63.00
    TP-Link TL-WN781N, 150Mbps, PCIe x1|€9.44
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7950 13Series, 3GB GDDR5, AMD Radeon HD 7950, PCI- Express|€263.42
    8GB-Kit GeIL Enhance Corsa PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1333)|€54.11
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€758.24

• Advertisement

ok and i take it im gunna need thermal paste as well

Nope. I didn't include an after market cpu cooler. It comes with a stock cooler which isn't great for overclocking but it has paste pre applied. You can always get a better cooler when you want to overclock more.

this is straight from the Mobo Spec on that link you sent .. does it mean it has 2 PCIe x16 slots?

"Expansion Slot(s) 1 x CPU ¦ 4 x DIMM 240-pin ¦ 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 ¦ 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 ¦ 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 ¦ 2 x PCI"

or was that a double print?

Yes it has 2. When 1 is being used in x16 mode the other goes to x4 so it's not meant for 2 graphics cards.

You can still use that other slot for a sound card or network card or anything though.

It has a front usb3 header as well despite saying it doesn't on HWVS.

damn it lol .. was hoping to Crossfire later .. thats alright .. gunna opt for slightly more powerful PSU just on the basis of AMD fanyboy reviews of the card I have .. I already have the 7850 and just wanna make sure the 12v rail and ampage and all that is spot on ..

Thank you very much you have in fact saved me about 60 quid so hopefully if my car sells today that'll be all this orderd in the morning :D

Decided to go with this instead .. :D Thanks for all your help .. Corsair Gaming Series GS600 2013 Edition 600W

Change the board to something like this if you want proper crossfire support.

I'd go to the 700w version of the same power supply I listed then.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/74175/be+quiet%21+SYSTEM+POWER+7+700W.article

Advertisement