Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Fantasy Football 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Ridley vs a mean Steelers run defence, or, T-Rich against a mediocre Houston?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Ridley, at least he has shown the capability of finding the endzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Tristram wrote: »
    Ridley vs a mean Steelers run defence, or, T-Rich against a mediocre Houston?

Steelers are ranked 27th against the rush and Texans are ranked 28th.

People still seem to think that the Steelers are still the same defence as they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Start no running backs, stay on the safe side.

Seriously though, Steelers have allowed 9 rushing TDs this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Raoul wrote: »
    Steelers are ranked 27th against the rush and Texans are ranked 28th.

People still seem to think that the Steelers are still the same defence as they were.

Look at their stats for the past month. They tell a different story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Tristram wrote: »
    Look at their stats for the past month. They tell a different story!

v Oakland 197 yards (5.2 per rush) - 3 TDs conceded
    v Baltimore 141 yards (4.9 per rush)
    v NY Jets 83 yards (4.2 per rush)
    v Minnesota 145 yards (5.8 per rush) - 2 TDs conceded

That's their last 4 games. Bar the awful jets, that Run defence is pretty poor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Very torn this week between Kaepernick vs Panthers & Locker vs Jags. That Panthers D is prettt stout but 49ers have had a week to prepare. Think Locker could get some nice rushing yards.

Any advice??

• Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You gotta go with Locker against the Jags. As you say yourself the Panthers defense is pretty good so its a no brainer. You really would feel a fool if you put in Kaepernick and Luck runs wild but if you do it the other way and Kaepernick ends up having a better week you will be happy that you made the right decision in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Very torn this week between Kaepernick vs Panthers & Locker vs Jags. That Panthers D is prettt stout but 49ers have had a week to prepare. Think Locker could get some nice rushing yards.

Any advice??

Sometimes look at bookies projected score in the game to get a help with this. They are projecting Titans beating the Jags 26-14, and 49ers beating the Panthers 24-17, so very close in terms of points scored.

I'd then look at how the teams are expected to score their points. It's really the Jags offense is bad (defense is not terrible). So the Titans may score some of their points on a pick-6 (defensive TD), or at least get short field position on an interception, and punch in a TD from 20 yards out. Not much fantasy yardage.

So I think I'd go with Kaepernick, he's more likely to earn his team's expected points. In the Titans-Jags game, you can easily see the Titans getting ahead early and handing the ball off a lot. The closer game should be better for passing yards.

Thanks for clearing that up with 2 valid completly opposite opinions!!!! ;)

I have been leaning towards Locker & will probably go with my gut but it'll be game time decision

• Advertisement

Went with Locker :rolleyes: The way Kap has been playing it's not really a disaster & will be losing either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Looking for advice for week 11. I've got Eric Decker but the team I'm facing have Payton so every point I score with Decker is going to be reduced in value cause Payton is also getting points. I have Riley Cooper, Aaron Dobson, Mario Manningham & Mike Wallace (although I'm thinking of dropping him to waivers) as well. I'm thinking of not starting Decker and just going with my best other 3 and hope that the Chiefs can slow down the Bronco's offense.
    What ye think? Does my logic make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭JerseyJoe

I understand your logic, but what about if the Chiefs defence doesn't hold up against Denver's offensive attack? Decker might not be a bad option, then, even if he has seen limited action with the other options available.

To me, this game will tell a lot about both teams--is the Chiefs D really as good as advertised against this elite offense, or are the Broncos just feasting on teams with mostly poor defenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

Looking for advice for week 11. I've got Eric Decker but the team I'm facing have Payton so every point I score with Decker is going to be reduced in value cause Payton is also getting points. I have Riley Cooper, Aaron Dobson, Mario Manningham & Mike Wallace (although I'm thinking of dropping him to waivers) as well. I'm thinking of not starting Decker and just going with my best other 3 and hope that the Chiefs can slow down the Bronco's offense.

This is a good thing! I was up against Peyton last week but had the Thomas brothers. :) Managed to negate the effects of Peyton. Beware they are up against a stout Kansas City D but a D which has faced backup QBs for about 6 weeks or something.

Cooper is a definite. Dobson is up against a good Panthers D but I don't think their secondary is that good. Manningham and Mike Wallace.....They are total gambles. I didn't see the game but I heard Wallace didn't look interested at all and that Matthews looked far better. The fact that Miami will have 0 run game (evident with their 2 yards rushing last week) will help the passing.

For me....Cooper, Dobson and Decker!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Looking for advice for week 11. I've got Eric Decker but the team I'm facing have Payton so every point I score with Decker is going to be reduced in value cause Payton is also getting points...

No, you're logic doesn't make sense. Whether you play Decker or not has absolutely no bearing on how many points Payton scores, or how many times he throws the ball to Decker.

Play the 3 lads you think will score most points. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

I get what ur saying but it actually works in reverse Depending on how the scoring in ur league is structured. Because most leagues work in the way a receiving yard is worth .1 points while its .06 for a qb its actually a reverse of what your thinking. Decker's points are actually relatively increased as for every .6 points Peyton gets for throwing to Decker, Decker will get 1 point. Likewise with a touchdown, for every 4 point passing td he throws to deceker, Decker will receive 6 points.

It's just a case of whether or not you think Decker will score points. I would start him personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

gufc21 wrote: »
    I get what ur saying but it actually works in reverse Depending on how the scoring in ur league is structured. Because most leagues work in the way a receiving yard is worth .1 points while its .06 for a qb its actually a reverse of what your thinking. Decker's points are actually relatively increased as for every .6 points Peyton gets for throwing to Decker, Decker will get 1 point. Likewise with a touchdown, for every 4 point passing td he throws to deceker, Decker will receive 6 points.

It's just a case of whether or not you think Decker will score points. I would start him personally.

its .333 for every pt decker makes from yds

30yds = 1 pt for qb
    10yds = 1pt for wr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Guffy

manafana wrote: »
    its .333 for every pt decker makes from yds

30yds = 1 pt for qb
    10yds = 1pt for wr

I got figure wrong I guess but that makes the gap even bigger. It all depends on whether or not u think decker will be in top 3 of your receivers.

It also works in a way that it reduces peytons value, or rather its another way of looking at it. For every point he scores through decker you gain 2 points on your opponent. For every td he gets through him you gain 2 points on your opponent.

Quarterback help again this week. Kaepernick is awful at present @ New Orleans, Carson Palmer @ Jacksonville or Eli vs Packers. :( what a horrible set of choices. Thinking of going with Palmer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

i am one of very few Jags fans on here, and I am telling you straight out that whenever a team is playing against the Jags, you need to play all their players :( it upsets me to say that but thats just how bad we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

gufc21 wrote: »
    I got figure wrong I guess but that makes the gap even bigger. It all depends on whether or not u think decker will be in top 3 of your receivers.

It also works in a way that it reduces peytons value, or rather its another way of looking at it. For every point he scores through decker you gain 2 points on your opponent. For every td he gets through him you gain 2 points on your opponent.

Thanks for all the opinion. I'll probably go with Decker so. Still think I've no chance. I'm again payton, welker and Peterson!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Thanks for all the opinion. I'll probably go with Decker so. Still think I've no chance. I'm again payton, welker and Peterson!

as they say ignore what your opposition does and play your best team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hey guys

Im in Division7 of the boards league. I'm posting this here to get just some advice, if this is innappropriate i can post it in the Div7 Board.

I am 3-7-0 so far for the season so to be fair i think i am out of any contention for challenging for a top spot and as my first ever time doing Fantasy League, it is pretty class and i do enjoy it. I just think i've missed a trick or am just doing something wrong. On a couple of occasions i've made the wrong calls and left points on the bench, just based on players previous performances, i've dropped my defence and picked up a decent one. Out side of that i've just jigged around with what i had.

I know the Draft is the big part of it but now that we're well into the league, what should i have done? Waived? Traded? Just find myself stuck in a rut but with players who are just inconsistent. Or is it just the luck of the run?

Any advice would be grateful. Again i don't think i am looking for an unfair advantage but just some pointers into what i might be doing wrong or something that is obvious to other guys but not to me.

Cheers

280204.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I think in your case your been hit by a bad draft and you seem to have missed out on utilizing the waiver wire ?

That receiving corps is pretty shoddy to be fair and you really don't have any serviceable trade options from your bench stock.

have you made any waiver claims at all this season ? Theres been enough waiver moves of value to improve your team im sure.

I know in my league for example Terrence Williams, Marlon Brown, Jacoby Jones, Harry Douglas, Riley Cooper to name but a few have been available WR wise.

RB's in our league picked up the likes of Zach Stacy were picked up

QB's Nick Foles, Case Keenum were two I can recall being picked up

so on so forth theres always value on the waiver wire every season if your not using it your consigning yourself to a losing season most likely.

What waiver moves have you made this season ?

Of course theres always an element of luck in fantasy football but its your job to try and reduce that as much as you can by having the strongest possible squad and team you could have.

I'm the top scoring team in my division that hasn't prevented me making 26 waiver / free agency moves this season. Theres always the possibility of improving your team working week on week matchups and or bringing in quality depth to your squad.

Ive brought in Clay '#10 scoring TE this year Ive brought in T Williams #23 scoring WR this season Ive brought in Chris Ivory and Brian Leonard from waivers giving me 4 starting RB's in my squad.

Sometimes making waiver moves isn't about improving your team but its about preventing others in your league improving theres if that makes sense.

its your first season though so it takes time to get used to things learning how to best draft, how to utilize the waiver wire to your benefit but the main thing is if its fun who cares. :)

D3PO wrote: »
    I think in your case your been hit by a bad draft and you seem to have missed out on utilizing the waiver wire ?

That receiving corps is pretty shoddy to be fair and you really don't have any serviceable trade options from your bench stock.

have you made any waiver claims at all this season ? Theres been enough waiver moves of value to improve your team im sure.

I know in my league for example Terrence Williams, Marlon Brown, Jacoby Jones, Harry Douglas, Riley Cooper to name but a few have been available WR wise.

And likewise other players that would be upgrades certainly to your TE's too

What waiver moves have you made this season ?

Ok whats the waiver wire?

I went in and dropped my defence a couple weeks in and picked up the Chiefs D which was more reliable. I think i dropped a TE and picked up Fauria at one point too.

I had picked Edelman and Amendola probably as i am a Pats fan and thought it would be good to watch them rack up the points! (not so much)

Typically i would go into the ADD PLAYERS tab, and then take a look at the position (TE & WR) and see who was up on top by points and then just compare who i would be dropping against who was up top and they always kinda ended up being less points than anyone i had so i left well alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

BKWDR wrote: »
    Ok whats the waiver wire?

I went in and dropped my defence a couple weeks in and picked up the Chiefs D which was more reliable. I think i dropped a TE and picked up Fauria at one point too.

I had picked Edelman and Amendola probably as i am a Pats fan and thought it would be good to watch them rack up the points! (not so much)

Typically i would go into the ADD PLAYERS tab, and then take a look at the position (TE & WR) and see who was up on top by points and then just compare who i would be dropping against who was up top and they always kinda ended up being less points than anyone i had so i left well alone.

You know when you go to pickup a player who isn't owned by anyone and there's a 'W' with a date beside it beside his name? That means he can be claimed on waivers and so anyone that wants him selects him and the player they'd drop from their team. Then when the date shown comes around (it's every Thursday morning), the person who was highest in the waiver queue that wanted him gets him and everyone else misses out. The waiver queue works so that once you pick up a player you are then moved to the back of the queue and everyone else moves up a spot. Have I explained that clearly? :/

Picking up the Chiefs D was a good move. If you're extremely weak at one position like TE some people play the matchups and pick up whoevers got the easiest matchup that week and drop whoever they had.

It's not usually a good idea to have more than one player from any team starting for you because if that team has a bad week then you have a bad week.

16 team leagues are tough enough to start off in as they're a lot deeper than say a 10 team league where there will always be decent quality on the waiver wire. This means that running back 2 and wide receiver 3 positions on people's teams are particularly weak as there simply wasn't enough good quality ones to go around in the draft. And so when you're looking at the waiver wire at who's available don't just be comparing total points for the season as the player who has played more games will probably have the higher total even if they were just ten 3 point performances. Look at things like their starting place on the team, for example a backup might suddenly be due to start because the players ahead of him have been injured, he might have 0 points for the season but he'll be starting as the no. 2 target at receiver and so could score a lot of points. Also keep an eye on points scored week to week, get an idea on who's actually in form and who hasn't done anything since week 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

absolutely echo the last post. Picking based on the points or projections isn't the best strategy. Over time you will get a better handle on all players and know who might be a good pick , whos a starter on their team, whos due to come in due to injuries etc and pick players up this way.

that's where most of the waiver value is. The guy on the waiver with the most points is there for a reason they guy with a handful of points but due to become a starter due to another guy being injured is far more valuable and far more likely to get you good scores as a result.

knowledge is the key if your not reading about NFL every day then your probably going to miss those good waiver targets and they are the guys that are likely to make or break your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

or just sign up with footballguys.com

you wont miss out on a thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Definitely ignore projected points.

I have Ray Rice on my team, he's projected 15-20 points every week, his average is closer to 5.... he only seems to play well on the weeks I bench him.

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    The waiver queue works so that once you pick up a player you are then moved to the back of the queue and everyone else moves up a spot. Have I explained that clearly? :/
    No yeah i think so, i was starting to understand the waiver preference, so basically if i waiver (drop) a player and it says that it will go through waivers on Wednesday say,that me potentially dropping him goes on the list so people can see that and sweep him up based on their position on the waiver priority list?
    If you're extremely weak at one position like TE some people play the matchups and pick up whoevers got the easiest matchup that week and drop whoever they had.
    So if you had a rubbish TE combo you would happily drop them week to week to pick up a player who had an easier game etc?
    It's not usually a good idea to have more than one player from any team starting for you because if that team has a bad week then you have a bad week.
    I know but as a newbie i fell for the, 'oh its always good to have players from the team you support' bit of advice. I don't mind having Edelman and Amendola tbh, i enjoy watching them.
    16 team leagues are tough enough to start off in as they're a lot deeper than say a 10 team league where there will always be decent quality on the waiver wire. This means that running back 2 and wide receiver 3 positions on people's teams are particularly weak as there simply wasn't enough good quality ones to go around in the draft. And so when you're looking at the waiver wire at who's available don't just be comparing total points for the season as the player who has played more games will probably have the higher total even if they were just ten 3 point performances. Look at things like their starting place on the team, for example a backup might suddenly be due to start because the players ahead of him have been injured, he might have 0 points for the season but he'll be starting as the no. 2 target at receiver and so could score a lot of points. Also keep an eye on points scored week to week, get an idea on who's actually in form and who hasn't done anything since week 2.

I'm fairly handy at clicking through players and watching patterns but i tend to bench a player and then the next week he has the game of his life.
    D3PO wrote: »
    absolutely echo the last post. Picking based on the points or projections isn't the best strategy. Over time you will get a better handle on all players and know who might be a good pick , whos a starter on their team, whos due to come in due to injuries etc and pick players up this way.

I've moved away from predicted points now although it was a draw at the start.

knowledge is the key if your not reading about NFL every day then your probably going to miss those good waiver targets and they are the guys that are likely to make or break your team.

I check the odd site and read the snippets of info on the fantasy site and all the injury lists and all that. Gotta up my game
    BizzyC wrote: »
    Definitely ignore projected points.

I have Ray Rice on my team, he's projected 15-20 points every week, his average is closer to 5.... he only seems to play well on the weeks I bench him.

Yeah i seem to be reverse jinxing players by benching them!

Cheers for the replies.

Advertisement