Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook or by Crook - 15th June

Options
  • 11-06-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

This is my first Tri of the year and first time doing this Triathlon.
    Anybody have any details on it as their web site is down the last few days?

What time does it start? I think it's 10am but not sure now!
    Anybody have any Strava or Garmin Connect links to the cycle or run?
    Any links to the exact location of the race start as I'll be driving from Wicklow and haven't been to Dunmore East before.

Looking forward to this one so wouldn't mind knowing what it's going to be like.

Appreciate any info people have ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 krowan008

According to Waterford Triathlon club website the first wave is at 12 and the second wave is at 12.10 (there are only two waves). The race briefing document is posted on their website also (although website appears to be down today).

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

krowan008 wrote: »
    According to Waterford Triathlon club website the first wave is at 12 and the second wave is at 12.10 (there are only two waves). The race briefing document is posted on their website also (although website appears to be down today).

12 start! That'd be ideal as I was going to leave Wicklow at 6 am to get down to 8-ish - I'll wait till this is confirmed thou - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bike http://connect.garmin.com/activity/189592819

Run http://connect.garmin.com/activity/189592826

Enjoy. Nice cliff face to run up to get to T1, and hills at the start of the bike and run.

TT bike was sick so I was on a crap bike, hence the poor bike split :D;)

BTH wrote: »
    Bike http://connect.garmin.com/activity/189592819

Run http://connect.garmin.com/activity/189592826

Enjoy. Nice cliff face to run up to get to T1, and hills at the start of the bike and run.

TT bike was sick so I was on a crap bike, hence the poor bike split :D;)

I'd be over the moon with those times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

The race briefing is up on their facebook page. Have to go back a bit, from what I remember they put it up before Triathy. Think it is a 12 O'clock start for all male's under 40, everyone else is 12.10. Down for this race too, training not going great at moment but looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    The race briefing is up on their facebook page. Have to go back a bit, from what I remember they put it up before Triathy. Think it is a 12 O'clock start for all male's under 40, everyone else is 12.10. Down for this race too, training not going great at moment but looking forward to it.

I'm in the same boat - twisted my knee getting out of my wetsuit last week! Might have to jog the run section but we'll see how it goes. Good luck with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vegas elvis

We are having a few issues with our website at the minute please bear with us while we're sorting them out. If anyone needs a copy of the race briefing or start list straight away please send us a message on facebook or send me a PM here with an email address and I'll email them to you.

Brian - Waterford Triathlon Club

waterfordtriathlonclub.com website back online again now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

slightly off topic, but does every tri in ireland have to have an elvis involved? between yourself and elvis at tri athy it's starting to look like a prerequisite:D

mossym wrote: »
    slightly off topic, but does every tri in ireland have to have an elvis involved? between yourself and elvis at tri athy it's starting to look like a prerequisite:D

Another day like yesterday with that fXXking website and I'll end up like the real Elvis...... slumped over on the bog

Best of luck saturday. The sea has warmed up nicely.....maybe we should lenghten the swim by a few hundred meters given the discussions on here recently:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

12 start! That'd be ideal as I was going to leave Wicklow at 6 am to get down to 8-ish - I'll wait till this is confirmed thou - thanks!

Arriving at 10 you will have more than enough time to register, get ready and warm up. Arriving at 8 u will be able to help with transition set up. :)
    Best of luck. Be careful you dont catch the bug after it. Its quite contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Out of respect to the familys of the tragic accident in which 3 brothers lost there lives yesterday in Tramore
    Waterford Triathlon Club have postponed the Hook or by Crook triathlon

More details will be posted in there web site later

They wish to apologize for any inconvenience.

If you know someone that has entered please pass on this message

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Another day like yesterday with that fXXking website and I'll end up like the real Elvis...... slumped over on the bog

Best of luck saturday. The sea has warmed up nicely.....maybe we should lenghten the swim by a few hundred meters given the discussions on here recently:)

You wish:cool:

A good decision by Waterford Tri, very respectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I see the new date is 31st of august. Will there still be places available or was it sold out. I presume there will be loads who have a place but now have to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Where did you see this? I can't find any mention of a new date on their FB page and the website appears to be down.

Its on the triathlon ireland race celender

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Didn't think to look there. Cheers!

Didn't think to look there. Cheers!

They have announced it properly now. You cam cancel by july 7th and more places will be available to fill the cancelled places

Great race but lack of bike checks means i wont be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Ceepo

adamski8 wrote: »
    but lack of bike checks means i wont be returning.

Not quite sure what you mean by this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Great setting for the swim, in mirror calm waters. Bit of confusion in T1, I came out of the swim, turned right and ran around to my bike, was told I had to run to the end and loop round again the length of Trans with my bike by a marshall- but the route I took was neutral as it stood. Apparently this happened to quite a few, bit of a mix-up between marshall's (and not what the briefing shows). The out-and-back bike was on bendy single-lane roads and there were quite a few impatient drivers overtaking on bends etc. It'd be a nice circuit if the roads were closed. No km markings at all on the run, and no notice that the finish line was coming up either- these should really be expected in a NS race. I'd agree that bikes should have been checked leaving after the race. That's just constructive criticism for next year in case anyone from Waterford Tri reads this, overall it was a very nice race, easy to park, register, and race, and lots of volunteers and marshalls. First time ever in Dunmore East, what a brilliant part of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Yeah........

The sea was mirror calm thanks to mother nature.

I was a bit disappointed with this race today. I'm first to heap praise but today had disappointments, most of which were avoidable. The course itself was good - I'm not one to give out about hills as everyone has to go up them.

However,

Transition was disappointing for a few reasons:

1) I could easily have swopped by cheap road bike for a fancy shiny number.... and gone back for more - most races this year have this sorted but security today was non- existent!!
    2) The racking was not steady. Before the race on row 1 bikes were all stacked on one side as it was the side facing the entrance and the whole lot fell over. I'm not sure how many saw it but marshals and competitors came running from all angles to sort it out.
    3) At T2 I was also directed the wrong way, but knew from the briefing what way to go. Apparently another marshal took over directions.
    4) The swim entrance to transition could be directed to the left hand corner adjacent to the road to neutralise.

The Briefing..... Jasas could they not arrange a mike!!

Two way cycle traffic racing on a single carriageway road open to traffic can be dangerous. I know it costs to close roads and usually nothing happens but there is real potential here.

Distance markers on the run (at each k) and cycle (at 5k) are easy and cheap to provide - none - come on lads, this one is easy!!!

The finish was disguised - not a biggy but still...

Sorry that I'm moaning but we do pay good money for these races and bar a few exceptions races are well organised. I know that organising these races is difficult, but most clubs manage it well.

Dunmore East is an ideal setting for a triathlon though IMO!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know if results are up yet??

I have to agree with everything podge said alright. Lucky for the organisers the weather was good and the road is in good condition, otherwise the organisation left a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭fluboy

Also agree with all the constructive criticism.

It was my first time to do this race and was really looking forward to it after hearing so many great reports over the past couple of years. I left kind of disappointed.

There was no atmosphere at the finish line. Actualy was there even a finish line. The run just kind of ended before I knew it. A post race BBQ or a few sambo's in the little park would have been great.

Thanks for the feed back lads, we will take it all into account when having our debriefing during the week. Everything apart from the closed roads should be doable for next year

We had an medical incident in transition during the race that athletes had to directed away from, I think might explain why some of you were sent in directions you might not have chose.

Having to reschedule the race date put us under a bit more pressure than normal but given the circumstances I dont think that will ever be a situation we will ever have to deal with again. (I could be wrong but I don't recall any race in the country having to be rescheduled in recent times)

Hope to see you next year

Results can be found here:

http://www.stuweb.co.uk/event/1388

Waterford Triathlon Club

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Just wanted to say thanks for allowing the late race transfer.
    cheers

All said, I will return next year!

Is it an Irish Thing or has an Elvis have to be involved in organising all Triathlons in Ireland??

Good Luck

Hey Elvis, Throw us out a few sausages next year!!! Love a few after a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

I've done this race the past 3 years and always really enjoyed it. The one criticism I would add would be in relation to the prize-giving ceremony. Having it much later than the race means that a lot of the athletes have already gone home and there is not as much atmosphere about it. Also it started earlier than advertised this year which meant that some winners came back for the time stated to find they had missed their prize-giving. Obviously it was difficult with the women's only race being run on the same day but just a point to note for next year.

Otherwise great race and I def hope to be back again!

• Advertisement

I've done this race the past 3 years and always really enjoyed it. The one criticism I would add would be in relation to the prize-giving ceremony. Having it much later than the race means that a lot of the athletes have already gone home and there is not as much atmosphere about it. Also it started earlier than advertised this year which meant that some winners came back for the time stated to find they had missed their prize-giving. Obviously it was difficult with the women's only race being run on the same day but just a point to note for next year.

Otherwise great race and I def hope to be back again!

Thanks & duly noted. Normal service will most certainly be resumed next year re prize giving, when our main race director / prize organiser / national series expert is not on holidays (again with the rescheduling). I can say this with certainty as I was the muppet who had the prize list and microphone trust at him, and have no intention of giving a repeat performance :)

Advertisement