Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth a punt for €3?

• 11-06-2013 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

peach tree looks quite unwell but still green bark, no leaves,
    worth a punt and nurse it back for next year?

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Why not? No big deal if its a write off at e3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

peach tree looks quite unwell but still green bark, no leaves,
    worth a punt and nurse it back for next year?

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

Which Homebase??

Sure for 3 euro.you may aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Find the gardener in Homebase. Offer him / her €1.

Seriously, they are authorised to discount stuff on the spot, they've offered me plants for a lot cheaper than the already discounted price without me even asking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

unkel wrote: »
    Find the gardener in Homebase. Offer him / her €1.

Seriously, they are authorised to discount stuff on the spot, they've offered me plants for a lot cheaper than the already discounted price without me even asking!

This is true, although you may find some resistance to go much below half price in some cases.
    I have a peach tree I bought earlier this year, it's done nothing yet either. Lazy tree. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Peach trees require a large sunny wall and are very prone to a disease called peach leaf curl. Don't grow unless you plan to spend a few years training it and then quite probably doing a lot of spraying for leaf disease.
    Better chance of success with apple, pear, plum or greengage trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Peach trees require a large sunny wall and are very prone to a disease called peach leaf curl. Don't grow unless you plan to spend a few years training it and then quite probably doing a lot of spraying for leaf disease.

Yes I had one many years ago, fan trained, sprayed with copper. Got max 3 peaches a year out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you know what you are looking for you can get spectacular bargains in the reduced section. I have a nice clematis that is now sprouting well - reduced to €1.45, and a lovely passion flower reduced to half price from €20 just because the pot was split. I'd give the €3 peach a go just for the challenge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I got one in aldi earlier this year, I have it sown free standing in the garden. Any chance it will survive? I didn't know they should be planted against a wall. It somes to be doing ok so far, plenty of leaves on it. I'm not pushed about getting peaches off it to be honest, I just thought it might make a nice tree. What ya think?

The one I have is Red Haven (from Aldi like another poster), it's supposed to be resistant to Peach Leaf Curl and I have Bordeaux Mixture on standby (for the potatoes and apple).

What is Bordeaux Mixture?

• Advertisement

peadar76 wrote: »
    What is Bordeaux Mixture?

An old fashioned fungicide spray made from copper and lime. Peach leaf curl is caused by a fungus.

can it be bought or is it home made?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You can buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

the stuff for spraying the spuds is great with everything.

Website with various homemade sprays/remedies for various diseases and pest controls.

http://freemanireland.ning.com/group/communityvegproject/forum/topics/organic-pest-control-and

peadar76 wrote: »
    can it be bought or is it home made?

Buy it. It's not really the sort of thing to be home made. The one that paddy linked to in the second link is the one I've got.
    The French invented by accident, they use it on grape vines but it can be used on almost anything. It's considered borderline organic, but it kills earthworms if too much builds up in the soil (would have to be a lot) and organic purists don't like it. So my advice is to just follow the instructions and don't go mad with it. :D

Advertisement