Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primavera Sound, 29-31 May 2014, Barcelona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Fraid so. Second Primavera missed due to a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

It's arguably the strongest PS lineup to date. Or at least, it's chock full of stuff I'd love to see. Gutted not to be going this year, keep looking at the Clashfinder and cursing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

I leave this weekend, spending a few days in Spain before hitting Barcelona. I'm a complete rookie to foreign festivals so other than the better weather/better organisation is there any huge difference I should expect?

I heard it was pretty chilly at night last year so I'll be ready for that but is there any other packing tips you nice knowledgeable Primavera folk would like the share?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

lc180 wrote: »
    I leave this weekend, spending a few days in Spain before hitting Barcelona. I'm a complete rookie to foreign festivals so other than the better weather/better organisation is there any huge difference I should expect?

I heard it was pretty chilly at night last year so I'll be ready for that but is there any other packing tips you nice knowledgeable Primavera folk would like the share?

Cheers

Yeah, it was pretty chilly at nights last year, unusual according to people I went with that had been to a few.
    Bands that you want to see scheduled for a 2 or 3am kick off is something you should be prepared for! That's one difference to festivals in Ireland. You could easily be leaving your last gig at close to 5am.

Also, I'm going again this year, can't wait.
    Bar 32, on Carrer Ample in the Barri Gotic is a great spot for Irish to meet.
    It's an Irish owned bar, but not the bicycles on the wall and shamrocks type, think Anseo or Dice Bar. Might see some of you fúckers there :)

Mod note, not an advertisement, just a tip.

• Advertisement

It's an Irish owned bar, but not the bicycles on the wall and shamrocks type, think Anseo or Dice Bar. Might see some of you fúckers there :)

Cheers, will def check this place out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

lc180 wrote: »

Cheers

It's been 18 - 20 degrees at midnight the last few nights, so we should be okay unless things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Also, I'm going again this year, can't wait.

Mod note, not an advertisement, just a tip.

Good spot alright, was there a few nights 2 years ago. The bar woman set us up with 14 shots of varying quality to neck in a 'circle of death' fashion. I asked her to make some of them rotten and she duly obliged. They are up for the craic in there

It's been 18 - 20 degrees at midnight the last few nights, so we should be okay unless things change.

I think last year was an anomaly, it was cold and wet. I was there the previous year, and was fine in shorts and t shirt all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

It does tend to get cold as it's on the sea front and very exposed. I'd pack a hoodie or light jacket.

*needs to stop looking at this thread*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dublinkeith

This is my sixth one and only last year was it cold, otherwise a tshirt will do you until about 3am, at which time you might need the hoody. Don't expect to queue for beer, the locals won't drink Heineken. And gel insoles, you'll spend the weekend walking and standing on concrete.

Minor heart attack trying to figure out where the hell online my ticket was for printing out, digging through bank statements and buried emails I eventually found it, phew.
    Off to Barcelona tomorrow, I love that town.
    Have a great Primavera all those going. The line up is quality, it'll be a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

loads of rain forecasted :-(

making out my clashfinder and see future islands on smaller pitchfork stage. that could get really packed with how popular they are now.

anyone have any tips on sneaking drink into arena? any ideas where to buy drink pouches in barcelona?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Any tips for a primavera n00b? Can't wait, heading off tomorrow. Everything printed. Rain jacket packed :D (feck that is a shocker of a 5 day forecast!! Chance of rain Thursday, Chance of STORM Friday and Saturday:eek:)

loads of rain forecasted :-(

making out my clashfinder and see future islands on smaller pitchfork stage. that could get really packed with how popular they are now.

anyone have any tips on sneaking drink into arena? any ideas where to buy drink pouches in barcelona?

It's only BBC and Google forecast that looks like a lot of rain, and even that is just showers predicted. Their rain icons mean the odd shower/chance of rain.
    Have a look here too:
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/es/barcelona/307297/daily-weather-forecast/307297

I don't remember them being strict checkin for drink. Zip lock bag in the hood and jocks is always a good one.
    Re-entry is allowed, so I'll be dipping outside to the fellas selling cans for a euro. Beer inside isn't cheap, it was Estrella 2 years ago, less than a pint for €5. But unfortunately its pissy Heineken this year. I won't be gettin many of them for a fiver.

It's a pleasant night weather wise in Barcelona. I'm in my local when I'm here having a beauty of a Mojito. All is well in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dublinkeith

What's the weather doin? Headin tomoro.

What's the weather doin? Headin tomoro.

It's a very pleasant night in the city centre at nearly 2am local time. I haven't looked at the forecast posts above regarding the weather for the weekend. The venue for the main Primavera is on the coast, so there can be a cooler breeze chilling it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Friends who were there last year said while it was grand during the day at night it got very cold with the sea breeze coming in.

Flying out with Ryanair tomorrow morning, suppose i better get my stuff sorted!

Friends who were there last year said while it was grand during the day at night it got very cold with the sea breeze coming in.

Flying out with Ryanair tomorrow morning, suppose i better get my stuff sorted!

Won't be as cold as last year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Enjoy kids. Come home safe all!

Very jealous, fist one i've missed in 3 years. Keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Hopefully the riots calm down - http://www.lavanguardia.com/index.html

back in ac hotel trying to figure out the way to theatre royal. as an aside, hotel price well worth the money for being practically on the forum site.

holy ghost started well past their time, kicked off about 11.15. suited me perfect as my flight was delayed
    pretty good but sound was a bit off and crowd weren't great... i could tell from the first notes that crowd are not going to be as good as english and irish crowds but i expected that. pissed rain for whole set, was thunder and lightning when i landed! hopefully better for the rest of the week

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Good first day. Weather was spot on. QOTSA absolutely rocked. Arcade Fire was jammers, so didn´t have a great spot, but enjoyed it. They played over their time slot by about 20 minutes. IMO it was at least 20 minutes too long, lotsa riffing on some nonsensical "here comes the night" or whatever. Yer wan had some song that went on forever too. Bar Afterlife and Reflektor (which both seriously rocked) the new songs were fairly dire. Tonight´s lineup is very tasty.

Future islands and arcade fire highlight for me. Was well far back for arcade fire but still unreal. I love nearly all their songs, might go to Marley park as well. Back in the hotel now after haim for alcohol and rest, getting old! Heading to war on drugs now. Thankfully missed the thunderstorms earlier and stayed dry, was in the hotel.

Ha we were at John Grant(very good performance) for the apocalyptic downpour, soaked to the skin! Luckily staying nearby so changed and got back for Haim who were fun. Pixies were their usual impeccible selves. Not sure about the new stuff but the classics were perfectly performed. Caught Jagwar Ma too and they were fantastic. Great setting in the Ray Ban stage too.

The pavement and steps really take it out of you! Back was in bits at the end of both nights, getting old!

Got caught in that thunder storm at John Grant too. Great show as lightning flashed and rain bucketed down. I avoided yesterday's downpour by going to the Kronos Quartet gig in the Auditori.
    Blissed out after spending the day in the park in glorious sunshine. Saw the Dum Dum Girls play there, they clashed with something else at the main venue.
    Beer, lying in the sun reading a book, music, and watching Barcelona life play out on a sunny day in the park. I love this town. I should just move here.

Just about recovered now, never so tired in my life yesterday!

Great few days in Barcelona, highlight for me was The National, I've managed to miss them everytime they've played Ireland the last 5 years so was great to finally see them play. Was lucky enough to get in the pit and unluckily enough to get soaked by Matt Berninger's drink when he chucked it in the crowd the d**k! They brought on Justin Vernon & The Walkmen for collaborations. Pity they over-ran and didn't play vanderlyle crybaby geeks.

Other highlights:
    Volcano Choir : Great in the Apollo, didn't think it worked as well on the Sony stage,
    Metronomy : Serious good fun on the Ray Ban stage at 3am,
    Jagwar Ma : Not a fan of their album but their live show was fantasic,
    Future Islands : Put on a serious show, the lead singer is a absolute showman. Never saw someone sweat so much in my life, if he cut out the dancing he'd turn into Black Francis overnight,
    Cut Copy : Last band of the festival and was a great finish.
    Cloud Nothings : Maddest crowd of the weekend,
    Real Estate : I f#ckin love Real Estate, their music is never going to blow you away but its perfect sunny weather, cold beers chilling out music.
    Slowdive : I knew two songs prior to seeing them and thought they were amazing! Very hypnotising performance. Get the impression they were a big influence on the XX.

Disappointments - Queens of the Stone Age : Band looked tight and sounded good but the atmosphere halfway back was non-existent.
    John Grant : He shouldn't have been on in the daylight, then to make it worse there was an apocalyptic downpour two songs into the set.

• Advertisement

The amount of fellas at it with this kinda beard was ridiculous

The-Beard.-My-gorgeous-hipster-husband.jpg

My girlfriend spotted a couple of them and pointed and said "what are they called again?" thinking something like Amish, saying there were loads of "them" there, and I replied "no dear, they're hipsters".

Do women seriously like the big grown out beard???

Advertisement