Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone here lunge in a Pessoa?

• 11-06-2013 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Thinking about lunging twice a week with on, 15-20 mins.

BUT have never used one before and know there is alot of negativity about the Pessoa.

Any thoughts? Are they worth it for helping build topline?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 M0030

I think you get just as much if not more from using 2 lunge ropes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

marley123 wrote: »
    Thinking about lunging twice a week with on, 15-20 mins.

BUT have never used one before and know there is alot of negativity about the Pessoa.

Used it on 2.

On one it transformed the canter in a few weeks and built a huge amount of power and topline.

The other was just confused by it and only had one short session in it because he can get quite upset when he's confused and I'm a softy :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

A Pessoa can work very well if it's used correctly. It can go horribly wrong when it's used incorrectly.
    Keep the Pessoa loose when you first use it and slowly tighten it up. A horse who has never been in one may panic and even flip over if it's too tight. Make sure that it's even on both sides or you'll end up with a very crooked horse. This is usually quite difficult to do, due to the fact there's usually no markers to indicate how much you tightened or loosened the ropes on each side.
    Go slowly. It may seem like you only did a small amount of work but 15/20 mins of lunging on a Pessoa is a lot of work for a horse and they may be quite stiff afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

How does that work?
    M0030 wrote: »
    I think you get just as much if not more from using 2 lunge ropes

• Registered Users Posts: 15 M0030

Well its what worked for me... anyway. My horse was confused and didnt settle by the pessoa so I changed tactic and lunged with 2 lunge ropes, by connecting on both sides of the bit run the outside lunge rope through the roller or stirrup if lunging with saddle and around the back legs..,. so you end up with a rope in either hand. You can then while lunging ask the horse to follow up and through behind. I found this good for me as she didnt track up behind and she needed that extra push to get her to step up into her step

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

I've never used a Pessoa but it looks too complicated for me ( read too much time fiddling around). I used to lunge a youngster with two lunge lines as suggested by an instructor and that paid off nicely. I had more control and also helped her think of her back end. Plus you can drive the horse around bends nicely with two ropes.

Advertisement