Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT on a '91 six berth camper

Options
  • 11-06-2013 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a UK registered 6 berth 1991 Pilote which is currently in Ireland, where it was left after a death in the family four years ago. It has never been on the road since and at this stage is damp and doesn't start.

I want to get it registered in this country which technically means 'buying' if from someone in the UK but as this person is family too there won't be any money actually changing hands. I don't want to spend money getting it road worthy in case the VRT is going to be massive in which case we will probably just scrap it - or sell it for scrap.

Can anyone tell me how I go about getting a valuation for it and who would value it - is it the Revenue or the people at the DOE centres?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

My suggestion would be to go straight to the Revenue or Customs and Excise and explain the situation. DOE or NCT I don't think would be able to help you.

To make things easier I would suggest that you have proof of the registered owner being a family member and a copy of the death cert. along with the reason it was over here without being changed to Irish reg. Perhaps the owner came here with it on holiday?.
    Make it clear that you have been given it as a gift and that as it stands, forlorn and forgotten, poor thing, it has very little monetry value to you or the family.

Also have a look on adverts.ie and ebay to see what sort of price that type of camper is going for, this would give you a rough idea of value and then someone on here might have some idea of what the VRT would be.

Not sure if this is much help but it's the road I would take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Thank you. I called the Revenue and was told that there is no way to do this except to take it to an NCT centre who will look at it and 'head office' will value it. I explained that I really didn't want to do the work to get it going and get the insurance if the VRT was going to turn out to be high as we would probably scrap it. There is no way round it apparently.

He was helpful without actually helping much.

I am going to get someone to put a battery in it and see if it starts, which will be part one of this battle and see what happens next :pac:

Can't insure it as it is registered outside the country and can't take it to NCT centre without insurance... :rolleyes:

I thought they might be a bit more helpful once they heard the full story but there you go.
    As far as insurance goes, once it's ownership is transferred to you getting ins. will be no problem. Then once you have registered it in Ireland you just ring the ins. brokers with the Irish reg number.

If the person who is shown as the registered owner with the DVLR in U.K. is now dead it could be a hassle getting it changed as, for re-registering it here you a sale/notice of ownership transfer from the person listed on the U.K. docs. Just realised that I'm assuming that it was the owner who died and that might not be the case.

I'll leave it there as I think this should give you some food for thought.

It's complicated :P

It was my father's but the paperwork is in my brother's name as the insurance was cheaper (my father was over 70 at the time he bought it and it was cheaper to have my father as a named driver on my brother's policy).

I am going to talk to the local garage guy as he would be insured to drive it under his motor policy and see if we can get the value from the NCT. That will pretty much determine the next steps.

Failing that I will go and live in the UK for six months... lol - it might be cheaper!

Thanks for your help - I will probably be back:)

Best of luck.

The camper would have to be gold plated to get me to move back to the U.K. for any length of time:eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Can you get it towed to the local NCT center, as it's not a goods/commercial vehicle it should not be subject to the expensive recovery/towing regulations which apply all to those types.

Having it arrive on a tow should also reduce its perceived value and and subsequent VRT ;). Bear in mind at this stage it's only going to the NCT for a valuation, not a road worthiness test.

Hello again. Well, we got past the whole revenue problem, I managed to prove it belonged to my father and was just registered under someone elses name for complicated reasons. Revenue was actually fine about it - the second person I spoke to was much more helpful and understood. They did ask why it wasn't registered immediately and I explained that when you have your father's funeral to arrange changing ownership of vehicles is not really of the highest importance...

Anyway, I now have to tax it - they gave me the pin and sent me to Motortax.ie who tell me they want over a thousand to tax it.

This isn't true. Please tell me this isn't true. I understood all motorcaravans were €102.00?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

god no, its the €102

Thank you. I am having a melt-down here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Animord wrote: »
    Thank you. I am having a melt-down here!

probably best you just go into your local tax office to sort it......

• Advertisement

MidlandsM is right, tax office now is your best bet to get it right.

But first check on your new Irish reg. docu. that it is classed as a campervan just in case some idiot has slipped up:), after all, you never know.

Keep us up to date.

I don't have the registration doc yet. I just got a note from Revenue with the tax form and instructions on how to tax it on motortax.ie.

I am presuming that the registration document will turn up in the post as I can't insure or DOE it until I have that.

Thank you guys so much for your advice - you have been very kind to advise me. One day soon you will have the joy of me posting all the "what does this button do?" pictures when I am trying to get to grips with that bit...:)

Just one more question before you go.

When you entered the pin on the website did the vehicle category show as campervan? if so that means that the reg doc should show the same. If this is the case and still reads 1000 + then give them a ring.

It gave me two options - one was private which was the €1,000+ option and other said 'commerical'

I looked a private first because it makes sense (!) but when I checked the 'commerical' option it does list motorhomes but said 'this cannot be done online, please contact your local tax office'

I will just go and visit them, in the wagon if needs be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Animord wrote: »
    It gave me two options - one was private which was the €1,000+ option and other said 'commerical'

I looked a private first because it makes sense (!) but when I checked the 'commerical' option it does list motorhomes but said 'this cannot be done online, please contact your local tax office'

I will just go and visit them, in the wagon if needs be!

You got it going? Excellent!

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    You got it going? Excellent!

Yes, it is running beautifully :)

It has been on one day trip to the beach and hopefully one day soon when I have had the DOE test done and got the rest of the paperwork sorted it will get an actual, real, live overnight outing!

Well it has taken four months to get through all the paperwork but the motorhome is finally legal. The new DOE test was the worst bit - the vehicle was inherited from abroad and I couldn't get the DOE testers to understand that they could test the vehicle without the log book. Eventually I had to get a letter from the motortax office to the DOE centre telling them to do it. In the meantime I thought the insurance was going to be cancelled because I hadn't the right paperwork.

Anyway all is well that ends well - it has been an nightmare process.

Advertisement