Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wetsuit with added buoyancy

Options
  • 11-06-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Can anyone recommend a wet suit for a weak swimmer (obvious dropping of hips and almost no kick the biggest problem). ? wetsuit with added buoyancy in legs of suit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

thebestone wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a wet suit for a weak swimmer (obvious dropping of hips and almost no kick the biggest problem). ? wetsuit with added buoyancy in legs of suit.

I'd recommend swimming fins along with kicking drills to improve your kick and build your hip flexors, should not be depending on a wetsuit to keep you afloat.

Most swim wetsuits come with added buoyancy around the waist area, look for 2mm arms + legs then 4-5mm waist. Example:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-trn-thermo-full-sleeve-wetsuit/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

stevire wrote: »
    I'd recommend swimming fins along with kicking drills to improve your kick and build your hip flexors, should not be depending on a wetsuit to keep you afloat.

Most swim wetsuits come with added buoyancy around the waist area, look for 2mm arms + legs then 4-5mm waist. Example:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-trn-thermo-full-sleeve-wetsuit/

Its not the kick that keeps the legs up its the balance in the water IMHO. I'd work on the body position first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Orca 3.8 - im very happy with it performance wise , its a bit flimsy though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I remember being recommended the Orca Equipe as my first one as

a) it was reasonably priced
    b) 5mm neoprone all over I think

Got a few years out if it with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

All triathlon wetsuits will give you the buoyancy that you are looking for in the legs. Generally the simplest entry level suits are the best for anyone starting out in OW swimming as there is less complication of the balance of the suits.

Something easy to get your hands on for fitting and with a decent warranty should suit. Orca, 2XU, Zone3. These also do better suits and sit alongside Sailfish, HUUB, TYR at the highest levels too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement