Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14 month old naps??

Options
  • 11-06-2013 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

HI All,

I was just wondering whats normal(ish) in relation to naps for a 14 month old.

My daughter is up at 8 every day and usually goes down for between an hour and an hour and a half (12-2 ish)

However, this last week ive been finding it hard to get her to sleep. She still drinks her bottle with me, and usually falls asleep drinking it (maybe wrong but we both enjoy the down time), then i usually just put her in the cot and shes a gonner..

this last week ive been putting her in asleep (or awake) and there she has sat firing soother across the room and talking to her gloworm.. On one occasion the cat was lying outside her room (its gated for the cat reason), meowiing at her, and when i went into her she was sitting at the end of her cot, laughing and meowing back at her (it was very funny in fairness)

So do i put this down to needing to shorten her nap? If she takes the full 2 hrs, she awake till half 7/8 when i put her to bed.

p.s shes not walking so prob not burning as much energy as she could?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd say she's going through a development leap. There's one from 59.5-61.5 weeks. You say she isn't walking yet so perhaps her brain is processing this. I always found that sleep was very disrupted during those leaps with my son.

I'd say just keep the nap time routine up and she'll go back to normal once the leap is over. You'll probably find she'll start walking soon after too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I'd say she's going through a development leap. There's one from 59.5-61.5 weeks. You say she isn't walking yet so perhaps her brain is processing this. I always found that sleep was very disrupted during those leaps with my son.

I'd say just keep the nap time routine up and she'll go back to normal once the leap is over. You'll probably find she'll start walking soon after too :)

Thanks how strange, where do I find these developmental leaps you speak of?? Might be nice to get a heads up on the next one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Thanks how strange, where do I find these developmental leaps you speak of?? Might be nice to get a heads up on the next one :)

Thewonderweeks.com

My son stopped regular napping for around 6 months between 12 and 18 months, and then went back to it (thankfully!) himself.
    The days he did nap in that time meant he wasn't asleep at night until around 1030/11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My son is 16 months, 2 months ago he started waking up every night and laughing hysterically and firing things into his sister cot to wake her. I contemplated seperating them but it blew over. For him it was the period between some bad teething so I thought it was all part of it, but def wasnt in pain.

He sleeps for 2 naps per day. We go for a walk at 11 and he sleeps when we get home from 11-12 and after lunch at from 2-3. Wakes at 8am, bed at 7:30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Staticdoor71 my little fella is the same age & we have an almost identical routine to you. Like you he started playing up at bedtime for no obvious reason but this is now passing & like How Strange said he is now just on the verge of walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

A is 13.5 months and walking but went through this just before she took off. I would still put her up at usual time and would here her babbling away to teddy sometimes up to a half hour and she would then drop off. I would leave her as she wasnt crying and it gave me a chance to get a few things done.
    Now that shes walking shes sleeping better than ever. 2 nearly 3 hours some days.

yeah shes still at it.. I hope she takes flight soon, she is soooo frustrated with not being able to walk. She ask to be lifted up, then wants down, then up.. grrrrrr...

Like you suucee I just leave her to it, unless the cat starts throwing her weight around and messing outside her room..

I love my baby to bits, but I need the hour to my self just to turn my brain off.. Shes constantly on the go go go.. On the upside, me and her daddy have never slept better :)

I spoke too soon, they have both been awake from 10pm to 1am the past two nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

wmpdd3 your son might be ready to drop one nap at 16 months. My son did that around 13 months so instead of a morning and afternoon nap he started going down around 11.30

Please don't scare me with stories of two of them being awake during the night because our two will have to share from 6 months :S

I thought that too but if he doesn't get an afternoon nap he falls asleep in his dinner at 6.
    Think he needs two naps but shorter ones.but of course when he's down time rushes by and he's awake before I get anything done !

• Advertisement

well it looks like her brain was processing something, cuz shes now in a coma at 7.30 every night, and started crawling last friday.. how strange little babies heads are :)

Advertisement