Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have been your top 5 best and worst PS3/360 games you spent money on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This thread will open a HUGE can of worms! :pac:

I wont be including PC in to my list as the ancient pc is still on first gen. :(

Good
    1. Uncharted ( Greatness is great )
    2. Forza Series ( I was a GT head, but Forza is just best console sim out there )
    3. Monster hunter 3 ( I only discovered this series few months ago. FANTASTIC! )
    4. Dead space ( Great Franchise, I still have hopes for it )
    5. Demon souls/Dark Souls ( Great series, no need the explanation )

The BAD

1. Halo 3 ( My first halo game, was at gamestop 00:00 to pick this piece of **** )
    2. Assasin Creed ( what a repetitive grind of a game, Got collectors edition of it too. I look at Altairs Statue with disappointment )
    3. Grand Turismo 5 ( 1400 cars! 1300 of them from GT4 ps2 direct ports with less poligon count then Super marios 64 ballsack, AI is brain dead, Environment is bland and ugly, engines sound like lawnmovers. )
    4. MGS4 ( NANOMACHINES DID IT! )
    5. Lost Planet 2 ( First one was a fantastic game, second one was... worse then shiete... )

Got a lot more, but limit is 5. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Danger781 wrote: »
    [...]
    I have mixed feelings about the God of War series as well.. Was given GOW 1 & 2 as a present for the PS3 and despite the fact I'm currently almost finished both.. I just couldn't get into the game properly :o
    Try Bayonetta or Devil May Cry 3 HD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

3. Grand Turismo 5 ( 1400 cars! 1300 of them from GT4 ps2 direct ports with less poligon count then Super marios 64 ballsack, AI is brain dead, Environment is bland and ugly, engines sound like lawnmovers. )

Not to mention being unable to mod a Mazda Demio as a racing car :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Pogmothone wrote: »

The G.A.A game

That wasn't this gen, it was PS2. I only picked those three up recently myself, and even though they're absolute pants, myself and my mates manage to have great craic with the second football game (which is easily the best of the three titles)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pogmothone

deathrider wrote: »
    That wasn't this gen, it was PS2. I only picked those three up recently myself, and even though they're absolute pants, myself and my mates manage to have great craic with the second football game (which is easily the best of the three titles)

My bad, I thought there was one for the 360 .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

deathrider wrote: »

Still, imagine how **** it is to be an Australian GAA supporter.

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/search?q=Gaelic&f=class:gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

A few of the worst for me have to be
    Kane and Lynch 2
    Juiced 2 Hot Import Nights
    Need for speed Prostreet
    Haze

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Holy moly 65 Euro for the twinpack...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Best:
    Gears of War - (played it in the xbox place on south william street, bought a 360 the following day after years out of gaming)
    Vanquish - (got it for a fiver, savage onslaught of a game - must find bayonetta)
    MW1 - (easily the most I've played any game, got the lads to buy xboxes after getting hooked on it)
    Portal 2 - (funny and mind bending)
    Street Fighter 4 - (so good for a quick pick up and play, even today)

Worst:
    The Darkness - (I had some money to waste and listened to the guy in the shop. . .mistake)
    Assassin's Creed - (the missus gave it as a present, I cleared it out of obligation, boring and repetitive. You'll never guess what I received as gift for subsequent years?!?!?)
    MW3 - (I gave it 2 weeks, clusterfcuk)
    Fifa 2012 - (bought for the sole purpose of playing with mates back home, I'm reasonably good but I just have never enjoyed it - hurry and fix Pro Evo)

I can't think of any other particularly bad ones, I've turned into a bit of a gaming snob in my old age and you can kind of tell when something is going to be a bit suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Top 5:
    Skyrim
    Max Payne 3
    Mass Effect 1
    The Walking Dead
    Read Dead Redemption

Worst 5:
    Just Cause 2 - Total muck
    Fallout 3
    Crackdown 2
    Fable III
    Bioshock 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Best:

1. Mass Effect 1-3
    2. Halo 1-4
    3. Drakes
    4. Assasins Creed
    5. Fable 2

I suppose more than one but i liked them all. I can only think of one game that i bought and instantly regret, it was called Vikings and was on the 360. Biggest pile of poo i ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Best

1: Dark Souls
    2: Sleeping Dogs
    3: Dishonored
    4: Demon's Souls
    5: Catherine

Honourable mentions for Deadly Premonition, Dragon Age:Origins and Minecraft

Worst

1: Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
    2: Too Human
    3: Fable 3
    4: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
    5: Condemned 2: Bloodshot

Honourable mentions for Assassin's Creed 3 and F3AR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Good lord, that's harsh! I think I rangled in all of them combined for under a tenner. Sidenote though, I believe they were actually made by an Australian crew. I'm not sure how true that is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Best Purchases

1: Skyrim - (RPG Masterpiece)
    2: The Walking Dead - (Fantastic storyline, great game)
    3: Left 4 Dead - (Very enjoyable with a few mates, was a breath of fresh air)
    4: Fallout New Vegas - (Loved it even more than Fallout 3)
    5: Crackdown - (Very enjoyable co-op game)

Honourable mentions for Fifa 13, GTA IV, Viva Pinata, Oblivion, Fable II, Far Cry 2/3, Fallout 3 and Minecraft

Worst Purchases

1: Fable 3 - (Bought it on release for €50 :eek: - Huge disappointment) [Currently free on Xbox Live to add insult to injury]
    2: Call Of Duty 3 - (Pathetic excuse for a game)
    3: Sleeping Dogs - (Supposedly a great game but I never liked it from the get-go. Would've liked more gun action)
    4: Mirror's Edge - (Didn't really give it a fair chance but wouldn't even consider going and playing it again)
    5: N/A

Bought more good games than bad really and even at that 2 of the bad ones were gifts well after release so I can't complain too much!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Best
    Gears of War - What a game. Got so much use out of it, groundbreaking online multiplayer. Graphics were amazing back in 06 also.
    Red Dead Redemption - Nothing needs to be said.
    EA MMA - Got it for a fiver and got hours and hours of use with mates and online. Great gameplay and presentation.
    Skate - Much better than the tony hawks
    Halo Reach - Great campaign, great gameplay and the best multiplayer suite in an FPS to date (IMO)

Worst
    MGS4 - *Yawn*...
    UFC 2010 - Broken Multiplayer in that everyone online abused exploits in the game, broken submission system etc.
    Assassins Creed 3 - Just so. damn. boring.
    Fallout 3 - played for a couple of hours and couldnt be arsed anymore.
    PES 2008 - yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

DarkJager wrote: »
    Top 5 best (selected for value for money/entertainment):

Skyrim
    Far Cry 3
    Max Payne 3
    Black Ops 2
    Battlefield 3

Top 5 Worst:

Bioshock Infinite (maybe the worst game I've played in 3-4 years)
    Hitman Absolution
    XCom (tried hard to like it but it lasted 5 days before I got bored)
    Rockstar Table Tennis (played once and never again)
    RWC 2011 (soulless)

I realise some are going to have strong opinions on my worst titles :D I hate Bioshock infinite with a passion, regretted buying Hitman as my Xmas day title and tried very hard to like XCom but just got so bored of it.

I'm sorry but....what? The worst game you have played?

I can understand not liking something. Tastes are subjective. Everybody gets that. But there is a difference between not enjoying something and recognising how good or bad a game is on a technical level. After the Last of Us, Infinite is the highest rated game of the year.

Surely you can acknowledge that Bioshock is better looking than some games, tells a better story than some games, and has better shooting mechanics than some games? How could you class it as the worst game you have played in 3 or 4 years? That has to be hyperbole. This year alone we have had Colonial Marines and The Walking Dead : survival instinct. You would honestly say that they are better games?!?

You spent money on a game you didn't like and so the money was wasted. So it would belong on your list in this thread. I get that. But to call it the worst game you've played is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Kirby wrote: »

I can understand not liking something. Tastes are subjective. Everybody gets that. But there is a difference between not enjoying something and recognising how good or bad a game is on a technical level. After the Last of Us, Infinite is the highest rated game of the year.

Surely you can acknowledge that Bioshock is better looking than some games, tells a better story than some games, and has better shooting mechanics than some games? How could you class it as the worst game you have played in 3 or 4 years? That has to be hyperbole. This year alone we have had Colonial Marines and The Walking Dead : survival instinct. You would honestly say that they are better games?!?

You spent money on a game you didn't like and so the money was wasted. So it would belong on your list in this thread. I get that. But to call it the worst game you've played is just ridiculous.

Perhaps he didn't buy those games so couldn't include them. I sure as hell didn't after hearing the rumbles of discontent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Kirby wrote: »

Worst game in quite a while, maybe 3-4 years but not ever.

Story was poor, gunplay was extremely poor and the graphics did nothing at all for me. It's the first game in a long time where I actually had to say to myself "play 2 more hours and you might like it". The more I played it, the more I felt like my 50e would have been better thrown down a drain. Totally overhyped and for me personally, one of the most boring and soulless gaming experiences in years. I wouldn't rank it in my top 500 if there was such a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Top 5:

Dark Souls
    Demon's Souls
    Journey
    Uncharted 2
    Castlevania : Lords of Shadow

Biggest Disappointments:

Haze
    MGS4
    Gran Turismo 5
    Assassins Creed: I tried 1 and 3 and didn't like either.
    Arkham City: I just couldn't get into it and got very bored with it :o

I realise listing Arkham City is going to annoy some people and I'm not saying it's a bad game in any way but it was a big disappointment for me. I picked it up a few months after release and I just couldn't get into it. I was very bored after 3 or 4 hours play. The strange thing is I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum so expected a lot from this but it just didn't click for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Best:
    - Dark Souls
    - Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2
    - Batman: Arkham City
    - Battlefield 3
    - Portal 2

Worst / Most disappointing

- Fallout New Vegas: Great, but unplayable on the PS3, even playing the GOTY edition
    - Uncharted 3: Bought for full price, finished in 6 hours. Immediately traded in
    - Fallout 3: Just...gave up. The storyline didn't engage me
    - Alan Wake: Meh
    - Sleeping dogs: Meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Big Knox wrote: »
    I realise listing Arkham City is going to annoy some people and I'm not saying it's a bad game in any way but it was a big disappointment for me. I picked it up a few months after release and I just couldn't get into it. I was very bored after 3 or 4 hours play. The strange thing is I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum so expected a lot from this but it just didn't click for me!

I'm a PC player only but I'd agree with you that Arkham City was quite hard to get into - I stuck with it and really enjoyed the game, but the initial hour or two in the open world environment was quite jarring and it definitely took a good while to get to grips with. Not as instantly immersive like some other open world games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ionapaul wrote: »
    I'm a PC player only but I'd agree with you that Arkham City was quite hard to get into - I stuck with it and really enjoyed the game, but the initial hour or two in the open world environment was quite jarring and it definitely took a good while to get to grips with. Not as instantly immersive like some other open world games.

I quite liked the first part of the game. Up until that protocol kicked in... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

TOP 5:

Burnout Paradise - Never spent as much time on a game

Uncharted 2 - First third person adventure game I truly loved

Batman Arkham City - More of the same, but so good

GRID - Perfect racer.

COD MW2: 7 days online on it, enough said.

WORST 5:
    Terminator Salvation - Urgh

DIRT Showdown - AKA Lets make it annoying, and add barely anything.

Jumper - ...

Sonic the Hedgehog - Why?

Turning Point: Fall Of Liberty. Thats 30 quid I'll never get back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Best:

Dark Souls (what else is there to say. Inventive and wonderful. Demon's Souls would be on this list as well but need to leave room)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Pure gaming bliss. Superb level design and a dream to play)
    Xenoblade (The best RPG since Persona 4. Gorgeous visuals, great sci-fi story, wonderful combat system and some surprisingly mature and sophisticated writing especially when it comes to the relationships of the characters)
    Valkyria Chronicles (A saturday morning cartoon version of WW2. Was the only reason to own a PS3 for a long time. Wonderful evolution of strategy RPGs)
    Etrian Odyssey (Resurrected dungeon crawling by totally modernising it)

Worst:

The Darkness (bland FPS with terrible AI and laughable attempts at maturity)
    MGS4 (cutscenes were long and awful and what little gameplay was a step back from MGS3. Gadgets and weapons were boring and boss fights awful)
    Blue Dragon (I really tried to like this but the art is bland and the game as wel. Not terrible but not great either)
    Halo ODST (Supposedly added something new to the Halo series according to fans. All I got was the same old stuff on a budget with forgettable overworld sections. At least they redeemed themselves with Reach)
    Resident Evil 6 (Christ where did they go wrong here. Gone is Resi 4 and 5's excellent combat. Now it's just the blandest shooter in the last 5 years. Rubbish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Top 5 best:
    -Mass Effect
    -Oblivion
    -Skyrim
    -Red Dead Redemption
    -Gears of War

Top 5 worst:
    -Phantasy Star Universe - What was I even thinkin?
    -Fifa 07 - never bought another Fifa game since
    -Two Worlds - Bad voice acting, story, gameplay, framerate, extremely glitchy..the list is endless
    -Call of Duty Black Ops - Yawn
    -Forza 2 - Hated it, can't even explain why I just hated every bit of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Best

Gears of War
    Call of Duty 4
    Bioshock
    Fifa 09-13 (top 5 played games)
    Fallout 3

Worst

Final Fantasy XIII (the disappointment still hurts)
    The Outfit
    Brutal Legend (good until the real time strategy kicked in)
    Dark Sector
    Call of Duty 3 (worst online servers I've ever used)
    chickenboy wrote: »

Worst / Most disappointing

- Fallout New Vegas: Great, but unplayable on the PS3, even playing the GOTY edition
    - Uncharted 3: Bought for full price, finished in 6 hours. Immediately traded in
    - Fallout 3: Just...gave up. The storyline didn't engage me
    - Alan Wake: meh
    - Sleeping dogs: Meh

5 Brilliant games, nice job there.

I agree with you Shaneu.With call of duty 3 it took about 15minutes of sitting in a lobby waiting to get a game started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Best:
    Skyrim -
    Great return to form for the Elder Scrolls, the most immersive game of this gen. Still playing it now.
    Fallout 3 - Deeply brilliant with a great story and some great quest lines
    Fallout New Vegas - Not as good as Fallout 3 but New Vegas is a better place to explore
    Halo Reach - The best single player Halo campaign and the best multiplayer console shooter experience bar none
    Mass Effect 2 - The sweet spot for the series. Improved on everything in the first and really made you feel your decisions mattered.

Worst
    Final Fintasy XIII -
    Dull, dull, dull corridor crawler
    Legendary - Got it for nothing from a friend, still feel ripped off
    Bullet Witch - Saw it in a bargain bin, it's got to be worth a fiver, right? Wrong.
    Amy - The single worst game of this generation, with the most unintentionally hilarious characters. Worse than leprosy
    South Park: Tenorman's Revenge - No idea why I bought this but I did and played it for about an hour before wanting to murder the creators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Best I've gotten on the PS3 for ages, no particular order :

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Dishonoured
    Skyrim
    Fallout3
    MW2 - the Co-op levels make it a winner in my opinion, Online and single player it's meh, but some of the Co-op is great fun

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Best (in no order of awesomeness)
    Skyrim
    Dead Space
    Mass Effect 2
    Bioshock Infinite
    Infamous
    Honorable mentions: Fallout, Mass Effect 3, SSF4, Batman Arkham Asylum

Worst (in no order of sh!teness)
    Gears of War 3
    Halo 4
    Bioshock 2
    Resident Evil 5
    Dead Space 3

IF Nintendo was on the list, it would take 2 of the top 5 spaces.

Advertisement