Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 3 purchase

Options
  • 11-06-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Probably asked a million times but cant see a recent thread.

I've been interested in a PS3 for a while, but playing so much PC games, and having an Xbox 360 gathering dust I decided it would be a waste.

However with a few new games coming that look decent, my friends moving to PS3 and the price coming down, I'm looking to invest. I'm probably going to shift my Xbox to get some cash for the purchase.

Any advice outside of the normal for where to buy?

I don't shop in gamestop out of principle, Amazon have a 500GB slim for €200. Anyone come accross any decent deals in walkins in Ireland ( if there are any walk in stores left selling game stuff)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I'd shy away from second hand consoles. They can be so hit and miss. Purchase new, for the sake of €50 to €100.
    Get a 1TB HDD upgrade [from elara or komplett etc]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

RangeR wrote: »
    I'd shy away from second hand consoles. They can be so hit and miss. Purchase new, for the sake of €50 to €100.

€177 + €60 euro for 1TB drive and a tenner for the caddy
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9124303/Trail/searchtext%3EPS3.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9124303/Trail/searchtext%3EPS3.htm

and €50 for a ps plus subscription!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had no intention of buying second hand :)

You can plug a hard drive into these externally?

The 500GB model is €200 shipped from Amazon, the 12GB model is still around €160 so for the sake of €40 might aswell go the full hog.

Unfortunately absolutely nowhere in Ireland has one that would tempt me with price, all looking for over €320 for the 500GB model, is it no wonder they all shut down eventually : /

TheDoc wrote: »
    Had no intention of buying second hand :)

You can plug a hard drive into these externally?

The 500GB model is €200 shipped from Amazon, the 12GB model is still around €160 so for the sake of €40 might aswell go the full hog.

Unfortunately absolutely nowhere in Ireland has one that would tempt me with price, all looking for over €320 for the 500GB model, is it no wonder they all shut down eventually : /

Can only use ext hdd for AV Media, not games. However, every PS3 has a very accessible trapdoor to remove old HDD and replace with new.

If you think you will EVER subscribe to PS+, get the cheapest PS3 you can find and put a 1TB in it. You're probably thinking to yourself... "Sure, 500GB is fine. I'll never use that much". Generally you'd be correct... UNLESS you are contemplating PS+.

I'm sure I can pretend to speak for 99% of the people here in saying, it's not even a choice. Just get PS+.

500GB? Are you feeling lucky, punk? Well are ye?

EDIT : The best price I can find on Amazon is £200 STG. Works out at €240~. Add on delivery at about €30 [would you really get this high price item shipped via regular post?]. You are now up close to €300. Never mind the hassles of having to return it to Amazon if there is a problem. This is a bulky product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Nothing wrong with the free post over paid with Amazon for consoles. I don't notice any difference unless I get the express delivery option. I've got 3 consoles delivered over the years with free post option, all arrived in 2 days and perfect condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aye, considering getting a PS3 aswell. Is it worth getting a 12GB one and the 1TB HDD considering it'd be a similar price to the 500GB one but there's better deals on the 500 GB, such as on Amazon, you get Uncharted 3 and GT5 for free? (no interest in GT5, but Uncharted would be nice)

Mainly getting one for The Last of Us, and I'm thinking GTA5 will be multidisc on the 360, and I really can't deal with that after LA Noire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just want to follow this topic as I am in the same boat. Have an Xbox for Fifa and Halo etc, but going to sit the next gen machines out for a while and thought I might buy a PS3 and work my way through some of the exclusives, like The Last Of Us, Heavy Rain, Uncharted etc which all look fantastic. I am leaning towards picking up the white GoW 500GB on Amazon.

I am looking to keep this machine offline for single player games only - is this model suitable for modding, or the installation of custom firmware?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

titan18 wrote: »
    Aye, considering getting a PS3 aswell. Is it worth getting a 12GB one and the 1TB HDD considering it'd be a similar price to the 500GB one but there's better deals on the 500 GB, such as on Amazon, you get Uncharted 3 and GT5 for free? (no interest in GT5, but Uncharted would be nice)

Mainly getting one for The Last of Us, and I'm thinking GTA5 will be multidisc on the 360, and I really can't deal with that after LA Noire.

IF you're only getting it for those two games, the 12GB model will do - if you think you will be using it as your primary console, I would advise getting the bigger HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

F1ngers wrote: »
    IF you're only getting it for those two games, the 12GB model will do - if you think you will be using it as your primary console, I would advise getting the bigger HD.

No, wouldn't be just for those two games, they'd be the reasons I'm buying it now instead of a few years ago, or just not getting it at all. The Last of Us looks excellent, and a type of game that I'd love, and I'm not playing a multi disc version of GTA5, which I'd assume it'd be.

Other games I'd want to play would be Heavy Rain, one of the Uncharted's just to see, the games don't appeal to me straight off, but I'd play one, Infamous looks quite good, Beyond:Two Souls (I've always loved Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, so that type of game is something I like) and NCAA Football (since PS3 is region free). I'd probably get a PS+ subscription as it seems like good value and try out a few games that I wouldn't buy other than in a Steam sale.

PC is where I do most of my gaming, and tend to buy any game I'm slightly iffy on in Steam Sales when they go under €15. PS3 would just be the games I've missed with being on a 360 and pc, and GTA which I won't get until it comes out on pc if the 360 version is multiple discs. Only games I've bought on console in the last few years are Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Madden and NBA 2k. I use pc for everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Massive price cut due in the next few weeks possibly 50% drop, So I heard from a E3 insider interview! So I would hold off for 2 weeks to wait and see!

Price cut on what, specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

jock101 wrote: »
    Massive price cut due in the next few weeks possibly 50% drop, So I heard from a E3 insider interview! So I would hold off for 2 weeks to wait and see!

Thanks Jock. :pac: Good info.

I wonder will they do a Last Of Us bundle? If they did I would snap it up, that and all the PS3 I missed this gen would keep me amused until there's a reason to jump to the next gen in ~18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

They're not going to drop the price by 50%, that's crazy talk.

EGriff wrote: »
    They're not going to drop the price by 50%, that's crazy talk.

That would mean you could get a PS3 for half the price of a Vita and that would be nuts.

There is a PS3 slim,+ GTA5,+ headset pack on the way though. Interesting to see the price point o that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i just looked at amazon, the 500gb comes in €249.50 (when you change vat and to €), but this is with no games.

in shop in Carndonagh you can get 500gb and uncharted 3,gran turismo5 and batman arkham city for €319.99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Have to say, I'm tempted in investing in a PS3 soon myself too. I have a 360 for the past couple years. It has served me well but I seem to have gotten rid of all my games for it except Resy5 and HL2. So it's just gathering dust for a while. I have a WiiU and very happy with it too but seems no 3rd party support in the short term at least but have my 1st party games on the way ;-)

What would be best to invest in, a slim PS3 or a super slim PS3? I would get the 500gb one. What is the story with online? I never play online with 360 so I prefer single player games, but what's this I hear of free games on the PlayStation network? Little confused by it.

Would be interested in The Last of Us and Uncharted and Infamous to start off with.

Also should I sell on my 360 60gb to put towards a PS3?

Seems there is a lot of life left for the PS3 after e3.

Sorry for the very long post :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

What would be best to invest in, a slim PS3 or a super slim PS3? I would get the 500gb one. What is the story with online? I never play online with 360 so I prefer single player games, but what's this I hear of free games on the PlayStation network? Little confused by it.

Not free games as such, more prepaid. Check out the FAQs at the start of the PS+ thread in here for the low-down. Bottom line is that it's fantastic value for the money that you're paying.

Not really pre-paid as such. You get full access to 36-40 titles per year that are yours to keep as long as you are a member and discounts on other digital downloadable games and DLC. You pay €50 but you get back nearly €200 worth in value if you use all the discounts and download all the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Right, but they can't be free games if you're paying €50 a year for them.

I'm not really sure what the word(s) would be for the model. Beyond 'amazing value' anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Not really pre-paid as such. You get full access to 36-40 titles per year that are yours to keep as long as you are a member and discounts on other digital downloadable games and DLC. You pay €50 but you get back nearly €200 worth in value if you use all the discounts and download all the games.

That sounds good to me for 50 per year.
    I just invested in a super slim 500gb last night on amazon, plain black with Modnation Racer and Uncharted 2 to get me started. Total including post was €279, should get it all by the end of next week hopefully if the post is still working in my area :/

Any recommendations for me to look into?
    Can't wait to pack up my 360 to storage lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

So any sign of a price cut coming?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I was thinking of getting this, has anyone bought one?
    I'm thinking of getting it, connect it to a cheap monitor and using it for light gaming, Netflix and maybe hook up a laptop to the monitor as well.
    Is all that possible?
    Finally, how does the PS3 connect to the internet, is it wireless?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Panthro wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting this, has anyone bought one?
    I'm thinking of getting it, connect it to a cheap monitor and using it for light gaming, Netflix and maybe hook up a laptop to the monitor as well.
    Is all that possible?

I would imagine all that can be done so long as the monitor can handle multiple connections.
    Panthro wrote: »
    Finally, how does the PS3 connect to the internet, is it wireless?

Can be connected wired or wirelessly.

Well should be part of the playstation brigade today.

Found a mint PS3 on Adverts, 320GB for a good price ( also shifting some golf clubs on adverts which has given me a nice tradeoff value)

So now to look into what the hell PSN is, and what games I've missed out on :D

Found a mint PS3 on Adverts

Careful now

Careful now

Anything in specific to check?

Obviously I'll be doing the "show me it works", aware of the latest issues with update although a fix is out for that, and have been dealing with adverts for a longtime, anything in specific to worry about?

Anything in specific to check?

Obviously I'll be doing the "show me it works", aware of the latest issues with update although a fix is out for that, and have been dealing with adverts for a longtime, anything in specific to worry about?

You will have no way to know if it's a reconditioned YLOD and no warranty. If it is reconditioned, it has a higher chance of short term failure. Better be a VERY good price :)

However, you may get many years of good service out of it. It's a risk.

You will have no way to know if it's a reconditioned YLOD and no warranty. If it is reconditioned, it has a higher chance of short term failure. Better be a VERY good price :)

However, you may get many years of good service out of it. It's a risk.

A right. Well it would be the same as buying a 360, a car, just about anything. There is always the risk involved, you just hope your buying of someone decent.

At the end of the day **** happens, always a risk. I'm just not paying Irish retail prices for one, and cant wait for Amazon delivery :D And in fairness this is a pretty decent price for whats being included

• Advertisement

Transaction went smooth really nice seller from Adverts and the console looks brand new. Was playing it this morning have the laugh on MW3.

Off to Smyths now to scope out second hand games while she does a bit of shopping.

Any recommendations?

Advertisement