Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€80 PS4 Games at launch?!

Options
  • 11-06-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

http://www.gamestop.ie/Playstation%204

Was considering pre-ordering a PS4 but after having seen the price of the launch games it's left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Are these prices placeholders? Ridiculous considering their about 30 euro more than an average newly released 360 or PS3 title.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'd say they are. Can't see them actually going for that price when they've been kept under €60 for over a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

PS3 Launch titles were 70-75, but quickly reduced (within about 6 months I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

They've changed it to €64.99 now!

I notice most of the release dates are the 29/12, that doesn't seem right

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Ridiculous that they can even think of charging that much for a game, be it for two months or six, that's crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

Ah yeah but at least you'll be able to trade it in for 40-45 quid a few weeks later :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Placeholder prices since no game pricing has been announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Everyone is upping their placeholder price at the moment to avoid a repeat of Amazon getting burned over under pricing the WiiU, so I wouldn't worry about PS4 game prices for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I remember buying MW2 on release for PS3 and it was 80 euros... wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

MW2 for 80 euros hahahahaha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

MadYaker wrote: »
    MW2 for 80 euros hahahahaha!!
    Yea :mad:. Smyths are rip-offs when it comes to video games.

• Advertisement

I've never seen an €80 game in my life. I've never even seen one higher than €60, at least not a regular edition. That was harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Saw plenty of 65-70 euro prices at both the PS2 and PS3 launches.

Anyone that knows the internet exists is a mug if they pay that sort of money for a game but the people that will be burnt are parents and family members buying presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Wrexis

C14N wrote: »
    I've never seen an €80 game in my life. I've never even seen one higher than €60, at least not a regular edition. That was harsh.

Far Cry 3 is selling for €69.99 on PSN.

Wrexis wrote: »
    Far Cry 3 is selling for €69.99 on PSN.

Apart from on PSN, prices seem to be consistently ridiculous there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

70 euros per game would be par for the course on a launch machine. I remember the day the Xbox launched at GAME were charging 80:eek:

Prices should drop to roughly the 60 mark after 6-12 months. It will be a good while before we see the prices we are currently enjoying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Depends on what stores are selling games still at the launch, if only GameStop are they can charge what they like, if HMV,Xtravision and Smyths are open and selling games there will be some variation in the prices, it is going to be nearly 5 months before the PS 4 is released who knows exactly how much the games will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I like the way modern games seem to increase in price yet decrease in length ,inversely proportional for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭lertsnim

At least the PS4 games will be region free so I have no problems ordering from Canada and waiting a few days. No shops will see anything more than €55 from me for a game. And even at €55 it would have to be a spectacular game I must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Just make sure you are a PS+ subscriber and you'll at least get Driveclub for free.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I like the way modern games seem to increase in price yet decrease in length ,inversely proportional for some bizarre reason.

It depends completely on the game. Some games are quite short but the likes of Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption can keep people occupied for ages. Not to mention that online multiplayer adds a lot of value for many people (although not me, personally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Just make sure you are a PS+ subscriber and you'll at least get Driveclub for free.

Well, you're not getting the "full" Drive Club as far as I can tell. My guess would be a stripped down version with an option to "upgrade" to the full version, or microtransactions.

Also, I'm seeing €65 right now for the preorders, but I'm sure they'll be €59.99 come launch day. I at least hope for pricing parity on PSN this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Well, you're not getting the "full" Drive Club as far as I can tell. My guess would be a stripped down version with an option to "upgrade" to the full version, or microtransactions.

Also, I'm seeing €65 right now for the preorders, but I'm sure they'll be €59.99 come launch day. I at least hope for pricing parity on PSN this time around.
    why not the full version? im sure it will be full version as multiplayer will be impossible if they offer a stripped down version, and from what i have seen of the game multiplayer looks awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Because it says ps plus edition, if it was the full game it would just say Driveclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I remember buying MW2 on release for PS3 and it was 80 euros... wasn't worth it.

I bought MW2 at Smyths on release night and it was €50. Did you get a special edition?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Can you pre order without paying the whole whack now? I think the 2013 tech budget is gonna be going heavily toward Sony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Thankfully HMV are on the way back so Gamestop can shove their 80e games up their fat greedy arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

C14N wrote: »

Obviously only a nipper so...

I remember when Street Fighter II on the Mega Drive was £80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

amazon's pre-order prices are all £55 (approx €65) so I'd say €65-€70 will be the most likely B&M price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only getting the One game and then the few free games that it'll come with (F2P & Plus)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

£50/€65 seems to be the RRP!

Advertisement