Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€80 PS4 Games at launch?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Paid £70 for ocarina of time back in 1997 (or so), but haven't paid more than €50 for a game in a long time! Doubt they'll end up being that expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I can't see 80, I can see 70. But with HMV coming back.. maybe just 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I paid 74.99 for the 1st Assassins Creed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

jock101 wrote: »
    £50/€65 seems to be the RRP!

Yep, Sony confirmed today that first party PS4 games will retail for the same price as PS3 games toady. Same as Xbox so. Third party developers can charge more as is seen with CoD titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

dave1982 wrote: »

and i bet you get you regret buying it for that much :L cause it was a terrible game :pac:

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    and i bet you get you regret buying it for that much :L cause it was a terrible game :pac:

Thought it was great imo. Loved all the assassin's creed games up to Brotherhood. Loved the stroy arch. But jasus €75 for AC, by the time that game came out I never payed over €50 for a new title. I shop around. Only the first 3-4 games I bought were €70 after that the price dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

dave1982 wrote: »

Ha, they're just giving them away now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There tends to be a lot of selective memory when it comes to game pricing. Early adopters are nearly always stung with high prices - it's the cost of indulging in new hardware. It does make economic sense - launch titles are crazy expensive to develop, and there's only initially a small userbase they can sell too. Eventually, more people buy the console and games begin dropping in price accordingly (although, oddly enough, this generation has seen them rise again after hitting a €40-45 average a few years ago). And you rarely have to wait long for discounts, not to mention the bundles that inevitably come with a new console launch.

And, really, games if anything are cheaper than they once were. Back in the PS1 era and earlier, new releases were routinely £40-50, especially for those who couldn't venture into the big cities regularly. Before that, things were often even more expensive, Street Fighter II being that most famous of examples.

Not forgetting some N64 games were going for £60-£70 Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

PSN games are routinely 79.99 at launch.

I also remember paying 55 Punts for NBA JAM on the SNES back in the early 90's, which would be much more than €80 once inflation is factored in.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Its €60 for PS4 games. Microsoft is going with €60 also. The fact that they are using X86 architecture will mean developing games a whole lot easier and cheaper. The tools they have are pretty powerful and easy to use.

I think Saturn games were like €100 because of the cartridge technology they used.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-sonys-ps4-games-arent-going-up-in-dollars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Why are PSN game so expensive, surely they should be cheaper - no retailers fees, etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I think Saturn games were like €100 because of the cartridge technology they used.

Eh, they came on disc and were no where near that expensive. Even the rare few games that had RAM carts included towards the end of its life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eh, they came on disc and were no where near that expensive. Even the rare few games that had RAM carts included towards the end of its life.

I don't know exactly which console it was but they charged €100. I was reading it earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

mozattack wrote: »
    Why are PSN game so expensive, surely they should be cheaper - no retailers fees, etc?

I think its do with the PS+, so they can add 'discounts' to the PSN store version with a PS+ subscription.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sonic 3D on the Mega Drive retailed for 80 pounds if memory serves me. Today's prices are more than reasonable imo

I'm assuming they think people will pay extra for the convenience. iTunes do the same.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I don't know exactly which console it was but they charged €100. I was reading it earlier.

The N64 had a few games that were £70 punts when released here. I think Perfect Dark was one with the RAM kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No competition = high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

One of the top points of the PS4 that I took from it, was new releases being available to buy on launch night. So without having to queue at a store at midnight, without having to let it sit on your desk in work launch day, you can have it downloaded and ready to rock and roll.

I've moved entirely away from buying physical copies of games. Consoles are lagging behind, but next gen looks to making big plays in this regard. Launch titles on the high street will be in the €60-70 bracket for sure, but doubt they will be that high on the console's direct service. They want customers using that, it's more revenue for Sony and for the publishers. Expect a massive push from the highstreet, to buying digitally, and to do this, expect to see competitive prices ( unlike the fail attempt MS made at it with the 360)

Its one of the reasons I am going PS4, and something I took from their keynotes, their digital game sales service looked fantastic and competitive. PS3 friends have all moved away from buying on the high street, they've indicated the prices online are the same as walking into shops.

• Advertisement

Have you looked at PSN prices, they are €10-20 more expensive than buying the physical copy when new. I haven't payed over €50 for a new release on anything in years and PSN downloads are €59.99 to €69.99. Forget about it, and then you can't trade it in when done either. I will never by a digital version of a game unless it's download only, or it's cheaper than the physical copy. That's my version of competition.

I haven't payed over €50 for a new release on anything in years and PSN downloads are €59.99 to €69.99.

Same and PSN downloads can keep those prices ages after release too. I'm fairly sure there are plenty of 2012 games still up there for those prices.

C14N wrote: »
    Same and PSN downloads can keep those prices ages after release too. I'm fairly sure there are plenty of 2012 games still up there for those prices.

Only something like the sham that is Res6 dropped price on PSN but not as much as Amazon, that were practically giving it away for christmas for £19.99. I got it for that price and still felt ripped off, it was so bad.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

€80 is way too much for a game dont for get you paying €600-€700 for ps4 console

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    €80 is way too much for a game dont for get you paying €600-€700 for ps4 console

Or not? Since it's been confirmed to retail at 399 euros? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

I swapped over to PC gaming in the last year or so and have been getting all my stuff digitally. Prices on Steam tend to be €50-60 quid day one and tend to drop prices for sales fairly regularly. Hoping the new consoles will follow the trend with the new push for digital sales.

well over €60 for game still too much a game and €400 for console im sticking with my wii u and plus i cant play PS3 or PS2 or PS1 games disks on it whats point

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

well over €60 for game still too much a game and €400 for console im sticking with my wii u and plus i cant play PS3 or PS2 or PS1 games disks on it whats point

I think if you have PS+ you get all the PS1 and PS2 games for free, provided you can stream them. But I don't know if it has features to add PS3 disks to an account, Digital downloads work

i dont want buy them digital i want use ps3 games disks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Roorah wrote: »
    I think if you have PS+ you get all the PS1 and PS2 games for free, provided you can stream them. But I don't know if it supports PS3 disks, has them digital as far as I know

Maybe both of you should stop posting things that aren't correct until you actually read up on what is actually going on.

Advertisement