Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picture fell from wall + dog barking. really worried!

Options
  • 11-06-2013 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

2 weeks ago my brother was playing showing my dog some of my tarot cards, the dog started to bark very aggressively, then later that night they were in the sitting room when the dog jumped up and started to bark for no reason at a painting on the wall just as the painting fell ( the painting was of nobody in particular ) , so we read up on it and read it was a death omen, funnily enough a week later somebody we knew had died, now just last night my dog started to bark again for no reason, we actually got a fright I thought it was coming from the front door, but my dog was in the sitting room, now this morning another picture fell down for no reason.
    I'm actually terrified now that something else will happen, does anyone know the reason for this? would it be from having tarot cards in the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I think you are over reacting tbh. Check your pictures and make sure they are securely attached. People die all the time, dogs bark quite a lot, and pictures fall from walls. Not too much paranormal about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

2 weeks ago my brother was playing showing my dog some of my tarot cards, the dog started to bark very aggressively, then later that night they were in the sitting room when the dog jumped up and started to bark for no reason at a painting on the wall just as the painting fell ( the painting was of nobody in particular ) , so we read up on it and read it was a death omen, funnily enough a week later somebody we knew had died, now just last night my dog started to bark again for no reason, we actually got a fright I thought it was coming from the front door, but my dog was in the sitting room, now this morning another picture fell down for no reason.
    I'm actually terrified now that something else will happen, does anyone know the reason for this? would it be from having tarot cards in the house?

A death omen? Really.
    Do people really put 2+2 together and get 222.
    This must be a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

maccored wrote: »
    I think you are over reacting tbh. Check your pictures and make sure they are securely attached. People die all the time, dogs bark quite a lot, and pictures fall from walls. Not too much paranormal about it.

Im actually really glad to hear that! I know like obviously it's overreacting but you can't help but worry sometimes:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Guess what. Dogs bark. Things fall. People die. Why the hell would you think that's a death omen? You're fitting the pieces together in a way that conforms to your suspicions and/or prejudices.

Take maccored's advice. Relax and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

funnily enough a week later somebody we knew had died

Ya that's hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

dont think its related to the Tarot cards (unless you were calling someone?) but i experienced that many times in my own family (with very secure attached pictures on the wall), that when one fell down, someone in the family died.

celica00 wrote: »
    dont think its related to the Tarot cards (unless you were calling someone?) but i experienced that many times in my own family (with very secure attached pictures on the wall), that when one fell down, someone in the family died.

I can play that too. I dropped my plate a few days before my grandfather died. Coincidence? I dropped my phone down the stairs a week before my grandfather died. Coincidence? A picture fell and broke a few days before a family friends passing. Coincidence?

Do to see the problem? You are making the association. It's a random event. You can pick any event and make some arbitrary connection between the two. Nothing paranormal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Ya that's hilarious

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

:rolleyes:

:P:confused::pac::D;):p:):rolleyes::o:eek::mad::cool::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

is this the new skeptics corner??

• Advertisement

oceanman wrote: »
    is this the new skeptics corner??

Is it skeptical not give paranormal credence to every day events? Or just plain normal?

just seems anyone who posts here these days gets 'jumped on'!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

just seems anyone who posts here these days gets 'jumped on'!

Anyone who believes in "the paranormal" deserves to have their beliefs mocked.
    There is no evidence of any paranormal activity so don't be surprised if people don't believe your fairytales.
    Harsh but true!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

There is no evidence of any paranormal activity so don't be surprised if people don't believe your fairytales.
    Harsh but true!

At the risk of sharing the infraction, I am obliged to concur!

I had a similar experience last week OP. I knocked a cup off the table, looked out and saw there was a cat in the back garden, and about 10 minutes later a guy called to the door trying to sell me sky tv!

Freaky...

Harsh but true!
    but is this not supposed to be a paranormal forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

but is this not supposed to be a paranormal forum!

It's an open forum. If you start a conversation people will join in. At least that's the idea. If people only want responses that agree with their premise, maybe they should just log off and talk to themselves.

no offense - but thats tosh. Ive yet to see anyone who researches the paranormal to come back with "Anyone who believes in "the paranormal" deserves to have their beliefs mocked. There is no evidence of any paranormal activity so don't be surprised if people don't believe your fairytales." Thats the kind of stuff you hear from those who have never, ever once bothered to actually look at the subject.

Still - each to their own. Its a very blinkered view imo.

endacl wrote: »
    It's an open forum. If you start a conversation people will join in. At least that's the idea. If people only want responses that agree with their premise, maybe they should just log off and talk to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

celica00 wrote: »
    did it hit him on the head

no offense - but thats tosh. Ive yet to see anyone who researches the paranormal to come back with "Anyone who believes in "the paranormal" deserves to have their beliefs mocked. There is no evidence of any paranormal activity so don't be surprised if people don't believe your fairytales." Thats the kind of stuff you hear from those who have never, ever once bothered to actually look at the subject.

Come one now. The very word is meaningless (or at least, used meaninglessly). It boils down to people putting a label of "magic" on something by default if there is no good explanation for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This is the Paranormal forum and, as such, people who want to discuss their paranormal experiences should be respected; we have our own sceptics forum for being sceptical.

However, I don't think that there is any harm in giving mundane explanations to paranormal events in this forum. Take, for instance, the OP; he was clearly freaked out by what happened and a bunch of people saying 'Ghosts' might have freaked out even more; he was worried that a falling picture meant someone was going to die, FFS, and encouraging that belief when the falling picture can be so easily explained would be irresponsible.

Other people have come here with experiences of 'haunting' that are clearly episodes of sleep paralysis; again, these people will not be helped by being told that their terrifying but fairly common experience is supernatural. I know people who occasionally have sleep paralysis, and the knowledge that it has a rational explanation took away a lot of the fear of the event in the way that being told that there really was a hideous old woman coming and sitting on them simply wouldn't have.

So I think that about covers it; us sceptics have to remember that for some people the paranormal is like religion, and while we might think their beliefs are ridiculous it behoves us to at least treat the poster with respect, and those who believe in the Paranormal need to be aware that telling someone that their house sounds haunted, without seeing it, without going there and experiencing it, could well be frightening people and doing more harm than good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In fairness, the only people I've seen not politely say 'it's not paranormal' tend to be those who have a pre-existing believe in the paranormal. I have never seen a sceptic on these shows who became convinced; they all tend to come out with a politic version of 'there is no evidence of paranormal activity'.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Come one now. The very word is meaningless (or at least, used meaninglessly). It boils down to people putting a label of "magic" on something by default if there is no good explanation for it.

come on now yourself in reality. If thats your view of the paranormal then you really need to look at the whole thing again. to say it "boils down to people putting a label of "magic" on something by default" is being naive in the extreme. Dont be so blase and lazy about the subject.

come on now yourself in reality. If thats your view of the paranormal then you really need to look at the whole thing again. to say it "boils down to people putting a label of "magic" on something by default" is being naive in the extreme. Dont be so blase and lazy about the subject.

How is that not the case?

How is that not the case?

and here we have the crux of the issue. I suggest you go do some research if you want to answer that question. I could point you to some bits and bobs - but theres no point in doing that as you might misconstrue it as me trying to 'prove' something to you. Theres enough info

As I say, if you *really* want to know then I suggest you go find out for yourself.

kylith wrote: »
    In fairness, the only people I've seen not politely say 'it's not paranormal' tend to be those who have a pre-existing believe in the paranormal. I have never seen a sceptic on these shows who became convinced; they all tend to come out with a politic version of 'there is no evidence of paranormal activity'.

there's plenty of 'evidence' - its down to if its actually paranormal or not. We've been down this road before in here -the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Will you discover things without looking? Of course not. God forbid if scientists thought like that.

Really though, why bother? If you think the paranormal is rubbish and we here are all easily fooled, then grand. Doesnt bother me. Why visit the paranormal forum though?

there's plenty of 'evidence' - its down to if its actually paranormal or not. We've been down this road before in here -the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Will you discover things without looking? Of course not. God forbid if scientists thought like that.

Really though, why bother? If you think the paranormal is rubbish and we here are all easily fooled, then grand. Doesnt bother me. Why visit the paranormal forum though?

Because I find people making money exploiting others emotionally to be abhorrent. That's a big one.

Battling ignorance for the greater good I suppose.

Because I find people making money exploiting others emotionally to be abhorrent. That's a big one.

But nobody is exploiting anyone for money here though ...

I don't get it - would people go into the LGBT forum and call them disgusting? It's an open forum too. How about Personal Issues and berate them there? Open forum too. People are entitled to their opinions and should feel the ability to express them without being put down.

If you have a major problem with it, go somewhere else. You don't have to be here.

As for this issue -
    I do think you're looking way too into it, OP.

again - if you believe the paranormal is solely about mediums and psychics ripping people off then you really do need to re-evaluate what you think the 'paranormal' is.

"Battling ignorance for the greater good I suppose" would be fine except for the little bit of 'ignorance' you show towards the meaning of the word 'paranormal'.

again - if you believe the paranormal is solely about mediums and psychics ripping people off then you really do need to re-evaluate what you think the 'paranormal' is.

"Battling ignorance for the greater good I suppose" would be fine except for the little bit of 'ignorance' you show towards the meaning of the word 'paranormal'.

I've already given you my opinion of the definition of the paranormal.

• Advertisement

I've already given you my opinion of the definition of the paranormal.

my bad - I cant remember. I assume its all mediums and psychics going by your contributions to this thread.

Still, Im sure it makes you feel intelligent telling all us stupid people whats what, right?

Advertisement