Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picture fell from wall + dog barking. really worried!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

maccored wrote: »
    my bad - I cant remember. I assume its all mediums and psychics going by your contributions to this thread.

Still, Im sure it makes you feel intelligent telling all us stupid people whats what, right?

Come one now. The very word is meaningless (or at least, used meaninglessly). It boils down to people putting a label of "magic" on something by default if there is no good explanation for it.

In response to a comment of yours.

It's not about intelligence or stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

and here we have the crux of the issue. I suggest you go do some research if you want to answer that question. I could point you to some bits and bobs - but theres no point in doing that as you might misconstrue it as me trying to 'prove' something to you. Theres enough info

As I say, if you *really* want to know then I suggest you go find out for yourself.
    Maccord, I must say that your insistence that everyone should engage in personal study of the paranormal before coming to a conclusion is simply impractical. Firstly, no-one would ever get anything done if we all had to carry out individual studies to prove or disprove everything. We'd still be dropping like flies from illness because we were all so busy trying to independently verify penicillin that no-one would have had the time to make the stuff into medicine, which leads me to: Secondy, no-one has ever produced ANY solid, verifiable evidence of the paranormal while there has been plenty of evidence that what is called the Paranormal can be explained away with infra-sound, atmospheric ducting, draughts, rodents, hallucinations, shared delusions, the power of suggestion, and just plain being mistaken.
    there's plenty of 'evidence' - its down to if its actually paranormal or not. We've been down this road before in here -the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Will you discover things without looking? Of course not. God forbid if scientists thought like that.
    Absence of evidence may not necessarily be evidence of absence, but there's precious little evidence of any sort to support theories of the paranormal, while there's a whole pile of just plain 'absence'.
    Really though, why bother? If you think the paranormal is rubbish and we here are all easily fooled, then grand. Doesnt bother me. Why visit the paranormal forum though?
    Why visit? Why bother? Really? Do you ask people why they'd stop someone from sticking a fork in a socket too?

I come here, and I'm assuming other are the same:
    To help stop people like the OP from being scared out of their wits by people telling them that because a nail gave and a picture fell someone's going to die.
    Or to help grieving people NOT be duped by charlatans telling them that 'Gran is very happy beyond the veil. That'll be €50 please'.
    Or to tell people "You know, fox calls sound a lot like a person screaming; so it probably wasn't a banshee you heard".
    Or to tell people to get their wiring checked when they say that their lights are turning themselves on and off so they don't burn to death in their sleep because of an electrical short that someone on this forum told them was probably their dead gran trying to communicate with them.
    Or to let people know that there is a real thing called Sleep Paralysis, and what it's like, so that they don't have to live in fear of goblins, gremlins, hags, or aliens.

Why do you come here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

kylith wrote: »
    Maccord, I must say that your insistence that everyone should engage in personal study of the paranormal before coming to a conclusion is simply impractical. Firstly, no-one would ever get anything done if we all had to carry out individual studies to prove or disprove everything. We'd still be dropping like flies from illness because we were all so busy trying to independently verify penicillin that no-one would have had the time to make the stuff into medicine, which leads me to: Secondy, no-one has ever produced ANY solid, verifiable evidence of the paranormal while there has been plenty of evidence that what is called the Paranormal can be explained away with infra-sound, atmospheric ducting, draughts, rodents, hallucinations, shared delusions, the power of suggestion, and just plain being mistaken.

Absence of evidence may not necessarily be evidence of absence, but there's precious little evidence of any sort to support theories of the paranormal, while there's a whole pile of just plain 'absence'.

Why visit? Why bother? Really? Do you ask people why they'd stop someone from sticking a fork in a socket too?

I come here, and I'm assuming other are the same:
    To help stop people like the OP from being scared out of their wits by people telling them that because a nail gave and a picture fell someone's going to die.
    Or to help grieving people NOT be duped by charlatans telling them that 'Gran is very happy beyond the veil. That'll be €50 please'.
    Or to tell people "You know, fox calls sound a lot like a person screaming; so it probably wasn't a banshee you heard".
    Or to tell people to get their wiring checked when they say that their lights are turning themselves on and off so they don't burn to death in their sleep because of an electrical short that someone on this forum told them was probably their dead gran trying to communicate with them.
    Or to let people know that there is a real thing called Sleep Paralysis, and what it's like, so that they don't have to live in fear of goblins, gremlins, hags, or aliens.

Why do you come here?

I actually dont come by here as often as I used to, mainly because I see the same dribble every time from people who insist something is búll**** yet they've never bothered their árses researching the subject for themselves.

People know about sleep paralysis - and I'd be one of the first on here to suggest a pretty mundane explanation to many an apparent paranormal occurrence. what does my head in is the arrogance of some who think the rest of us are thick when they say things like "Or to let people know that there is a real thing called Sleep Paralysis, and what it's like, so that they don't have to live in fear of goblins, gremlins, hags, or aliens." ... as if thats not obvious most of the time anyway.

Tell us something new and get rid of the paranormal is all about mediums angle. when you have got your head around that maybe you might be fit for a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

People know about sleep paralysis - and I'd be one of the first on here to suggest a pretty mundane explanation to many an apparent paranormal occurrence. what does my head in is the arrogance of some who think the rest of us are thick when they say things like "Or to let people know that there is a real thing called Sleep Paralysis, and what it's like, so that they don't have to live in fear of goblins, gremlins, hags, or aliens." ... as if thats not obvious most of the time anyway.

Oh, people know about sleep paralysis, do they? The person who started this didn't know about it until after it had happened to them, and it scared them. We'll just stop advising people, shall we, since according to you everyone knows about everything anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

kylith wrote: »
    Oh, people know about sleep paralysis, do they? The person who started this didn't know about it until after it had happened to them, and it scared them. We'll just stop advising people, shall we, since according to you everyone knows about everything anyway?
    great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds--[albert Einstein]

• Advertisement
Advertisement