Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afternoon Tea In Dublin

Options
  • 11-06-2013 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Good Afternoon All,

I am looking for some recommendations for some nice hotels/restaurants in Dublin for some Afternoon Tea. I don't mind traveling within Dublin. Any suggestions?

Many Thanks In Advance,

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Westin hotel, the shelbourne, the westbury, the merrion, the fitzwilliam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Afternoon tea in the Merrion is amazing - it's €36 per person though.

I've moved this to the Dublin City forum where you're more likely to get helpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Afternoon tea in the Merrion is amazing - it's €36 per person though.

I've moved this to the Dublin City forum where you're more likely to get helpful replies.

Many thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

The Westbury, Westin and Conrad Hotel were all very pleasant!! If I had to pick favourites I'd go with The Westbury and Conrad as they have a better range of cocktails for drinkie poos afterwards!! :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Radisson Blu St. Helen's Hotel in Blackrock has a lovely afternoon tea and you can stroll in the gardens afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

My granny is somewhat of a connoisseur these days and prefers the Westin to the Merrion. Just so you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Had afternoon tea at The Westbury and was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Gotta be the Merrion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

+1 for the Merrion.

We've done the Shelbourne (aka Fawlty Towers, I could write a book about that afternoon!) and the Merrion, and honestly, the Merrion is just class.

Except - a cautionary tale - don't order wines by the glass! We had a family Afternoon Tea there before Christmas a few years ago - one sister caved in and had a glass of vino, then I did, then another one did... no-one would 'fess up and admit that actually we were there for the evening and just order a bottle and be done with it.... when the bill came, my sister's jaw hit the floor. Despite pleading that we had all been drinking glasses of the same wine that was sold by the bottle, they refused point blank to roll any of them - never mind all of them - into bottles for the purposes of charging. I never heard the final amount, but will never forget the blanching of my sister's face when reality hit. There is now a standing rule among us that no glasses are ordered, bottles only :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I'd highly recommend the Shelbourne. It's a beautiful hotel and right beside Stephen's Green for a bit of a stroll afterwards if you fancied.

A close second would be the Westbury on Grafton Street.

Depends on the occasion. I'd go for Shelbourne if I was meeting my mum, but Westbury if it's a girlie catch-up. (Neither of these may apply to you - but you get the idea! :P)

Also, the Shelbourne has some stunning gathering rooms that you can take a stroll about in if they're not being used (just ask the staff - they're very accommodating).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Have enjoyed the westbury, shelbourne and most recently the Conrad.
    Was pleasantly surprised with the Conrad it's was so comfy and relaxing. Lovely bottle of prosecco afterwards was 44 euro.
    The Shelbourne I feel just has way too much food (I know a weird complaint). Lovely bottle of pink prosecco there for 50 euro.

Went to bang on merrion row once for afternoon tea and wasn't very impressed.

Have heard the merrion is fab.

Whichever you chose enjoy!! And don't forget to reserve in advance just incase!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Good Evening All,

Just wanted to extend my sincere thanks for all. I've looked at the websites of each of the hotels listed and I think I'll give the Merrion a try. But I'm definitely going to call into the Shelbourne and Westbury by the end of the Summer!

My sincere thanks to all for your helpful comments - really appreciated.

Regards,

D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Shelbourne was the tops for me out of the 3.

Truth be told, they're are all lovely. You cant go wrong really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, I know you are probably looking for afternoon tea spots in town, but if you ever find yourself out in North County Dublin, check out the Waterside House Hotel in Donabate. As the name suggests, it is quite literally beside the sea. It is lovely to sit and sip your tea, as you watch the waves crashing onto the rocks along the sea shore. The afternoon tea grub is standard fare. It is not mega fancy, but it is very reasonably priced at 18 euros for two people. Hard to go wrong at just nine quid a person imo. The cliff walk to Portrane & Donabate beach are right outside the front door too, it you feel the urge to walk off that third scone with lashings of whipped cream.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I realise it's in the fancy surroundings and all that, but exactly what do you get for your 30 odd euro?

Selection of teas probably, sandwiches not of breakfast roll proportions, some nice cakes?

Genuinely wondering what you get for your money and I understand there's a premium for sitting in the Merrion or Shelbourne or whatever, so it's probably more expensive than each element seperately.

In the Merrion, they have "Art" Tea. Due to their proximity to the National Gallery, they feature very arty mini desserts that are based on art works in the gallery. A fair amount of man hours, not to mention training in the high art of being a pastry chef, would go go into making each one. There are some pix & a link to their menu here.

http://www.merrionhotel.com/page.php?pid=241

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gosh there certainly is some work involved there - very pretty.
    Looks like something worth experiencing at least once.

I used to work in the Berkeley Court Hotel, back in the day when it was the go to venue for all the D4 aul wans doing the Afternoon Tea thang. Our pastry chef was French & incredibly talented. The poor lad got carpal tunnel from the amount of time he spent clutching icing bags, doing incredibly intricate designs on top of his amazing pastry creations day in and day out. We used to offer to help him out, as we got to eat the ones that we effed up. Good times ! :D

ProudDUB wrote: »
    In the Merrion, they have "Art" Tea. Due to their proximity to the National Gallery, they feature very arty mini desserts that are based on art works in the gallery. A fair amount of man hours, not to mention training in the high art of being a pastry chef, would go go into making each one. There are some pix & a link to their menu here.

http://www.merrionhotel.com/page.php?pid=241

They're amazing! and based on paintings in the hotel itself, not the gallery across the road - the public areas of the hotel boast quite a collection of art (worth a visit in its own right), and these are the inspiration for the cakes.

Definitely worth experiencing once!!

Really? Didn't know that. Ta for the headsup.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Really? Didn't know that. Ta for the headsup.

It's very entertaining to go walkabout during/after the tea, to spot the paintings that inspired your cáca milis :D

AFAIR, they change the cakes/paintings every so often, so another reason to return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The Merrion. The pastry chef lectured me in college, absolutely unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I understand that you might be looking for a hotel but for great food and amazing baking and prosecco that doesn't call for near champagne prices I strongly recommend the Cake Cafe, behind Daintree Stationary shop on Camden Street.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Has to be The Westbury for me, closely followed by The Merrion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement