Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Found " Husky for sale on Adverts

• 11-06-2013 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I didn't think you could sell dogs on adverts . I saw this ad though and thought someone might recognise their lost pet. Seller is in Galway - <snip>

The link was to Adverts.ie - hoping to help someone find a lost dog.

Comments

There are a few for sale there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

There are a few for sale there.

Do you mean in the picture or generally.

I literally noticed today. They look like rescue adds but they have a price ..

<snip.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

As far as I know those ads should be reported .. as it says "for adoption" not sale on Adverts.
    :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I reported the Husky ad and its gone now. I'm worried now that it was a chance for the owner to find their dog . Maybe adverts would show the picture to anyone who has lost a Husky in the Galway area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

I didn't think you could sell dogs on adverts . I saw this ad though and thought someone might recognise their lost pet. Seller is in Galway - <snip>

There was no link to Done Deal it was to Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Stealing dogs is becoming a bit of an epidemic these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I know on DoneDeal even if you aren't asking for money, you have to put a minimum value in the 'price' field, even if it's just €1.

Rescues might put the adoption fee in the 'price' field - doesn't mean they are doing anything unethical.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    I know on DoneDeal even if you aren't asking for money, you have to put a minimum value in the 'price' field, even if it's just €1.

Rescues might put the adoption fee in the 'price' field - doesn't mean they are doing anything unethical.

The ad I linked to was someone selling a found dog for profit on Adverts ie . They placed the ad as an adoption ad to subvert adverts rules. Nobody posted any links to Done Deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The ad I linked to was someone selling a found dog for profit on Adverts ie . They placed the ad as an adoption ad to subvert adverts rules. Nobody posted any links to Done Deal.

My mistake it wasnt Donedeal, but regardless we don't allow links to advertising sites of that nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

anniehoo wrote: »
    My mistake it wasnt Donedeal, but regardless we don't allow links to advertising sites of that nature.

It's an odd one though. I thought the ban on linking to ads was because mostly it was creating an adverse reaction and said sites could then try and sue boards.ie.
    But Adverts.ie is owned by boards.ie is it not? Could adverts sue boards.ie for in fact highlighting people who were loopholing their rules even though they're the same company?

Boards.ie don't allow links to Adverts.ie? Like the Adverts.ie link on the header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's an odd one though. I thought the ban on linking to ads was because mostly it was creating an adverse reaction and said sites could then try and sue boards.ie.
    But Adverts.ie is owned by boards.ie is it not? Could adverts sue boards.ie for in fact highlighting people who were loopholing their rules even though they're the same company?

There are a number of reasons why linking to adverts is not permitted in this forum.

Mainly
    1. Selling pets is not permitted in the forum for many reasons (mainly ethical in nature), linking to an advert increases exposure for that ad.

2. It is unfair to the person who placed the ad to have it discussed in a forum without their knowledge and possibly be contacted as a result of that discussion.

3. If you have a problem with an ad there is nothing we can do about it, you need to take it up with the site it is being advertised on directly.

Risk of being sued was never a consideration in putting the no links to adverts rule in place.

Hope that clears up the matter for those confused by the reasons for the rule.

There are a number of reasons why linking to adverts is not permitted in this forum.

Mainly
    1. Selling pets is not permitted in the forum for many reasons (mainly ethical in nature), linking to an advert increases exposure for that ad.

Negative exposure I hope

2. It is unfair to the person who placed the ad to have it discussed in a forum without their knowledge and possibly be contacted as a result of that discussion.

The person found a dog and was trying to profit from it

3. If you have a problem with an ad there is nothing we can do about it, you need to take it up with the site it is being advertised on directly.

The ad was reported and removed

Risk of being sued was never a consideration in putting the no links to adverts rule in place.

Hope that clears up the matter for those confused by the reasons for the rule.

I can understand your concerns but what I cant understand is Anniehoo first saying I had linked to Done Deal and then saying "we don't allow links to advertising sites of that nature." like I had linked to some disreputable site and not Adverts.ie a sister site of Boards. Anybody reading all that would think I was up to no good instead of trying to reunite a dog and its owner. By the time the link was snipped the reported ad had been removed.

Mark you haven't done anything wrong. I admitted my mistake and corrected it. I assumed it was a "seller" going by your initial and subsequent posts. Regardless of whether Boards is associated with Adverts.ie i snipped the posts assuming it was linking to a "seller". Since then these ads have been removed.

Mark you haven't done anything wrong. I admitted my mistake and corrected it. I assumed it was a "seller" going by your initial and subsequent posts. Regardless of whether Boards is associated with Adverts.ie i snipped the posts assuming it was linking to a "seller". Since then these ads have been removed.

I thought adverts was allowed considering it was under the same umbrella as boards . But there you go , we live and learn :P

I thought adverts was allowed considering it was under the same umbrella as boards . But there you go , we live and learn :P
    I can see your point totally, but every forum still gets to make their own rules and as AJ has pointed out above, one of ours is no linking to advertising sites that buy and sell animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I can see your point totally, but every forum still gets to make their own rules and as AJ has pointed out above, one of ours is no linking to advertising sites that buy and sell animals.

While generally that isn't a problem and most users know not to link - Adverts rules state that no animals are to be bought and sold - the category on the site is meant to be purely for adoption. I think this is partly to blame for the confusion also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

The ad is back up again but now he says he didn't find the pup but bred him himself.Ad will probably be removed again as he is selling the pup for €210.

Advertisement