Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Having a basic knowledge of theory : does it make you a better player ?

• 11-06-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭

I was going to post this on the Theory/Technique forum, but thought it would get more views and discussion here.

First, can I say that it is a given, that there are lots of players out there who get by rather well, without any knowledge of theory. Equally there are people who are well up on theory who may not be great players. I personally know of two people who are classically trained, have a good knowledge of theory, but unless the music is put in front of them, could not play to save their lives. BTW, I am not talking particularly about being able to read music. This has it's merits depending on circumstances. I am talking about knowing scales, chords (and how chords are formed from them), key centres etc.

My personal view is that no matter what type of music you play, any theory learned can only help you to enjoy and understand music better. It also helps to convey information to other musicians. One time, when jamming with a few people, the guitarist was having trouble nailing a certain section of a song. I suggested that he try a C7 chord. He glanced at me with glazed "what the f--k are you talking about" eyes while continuing to fumble for the chord he wanted. :D

Being able to play by ear is a great gift that can only be made even better if combined with a little theory knowledge. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭michael.dublin

a bit of theory knowledge goes a long way. and is 100% a great help then you play with other people. if nothing else, it will help you to understand your instrument.
    i started with piano, and got all the theory there, then went on to guitar, and now for the last 10 years or so, been playing the bass guitar :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Wish I had some theory knowledge behind me. Band practice is a constant struggle with me going "It's like a G, but it doesn't have this note in it and it has this one instead".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Wish I had some theory knowledge behind me. Band practice is a constant struggle with me going "It's like a G, but it doesn't have this note in it and it has this one instead".....

It is never too late to learn. Here is a great link if you want to make a start.

http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music%20Theory%20-%20Basic,%20Intermediate,%20Advanced.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

Here is a good link as a starter to key signatures , you should also take a look at the other "Circle of fifths" links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfrD6IOTgKY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Rigsby wrote: »
    I suggested that he try a C7 chord. He glanced at me with glazed "what the f--k are you talking about" eyes

ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

It really depends on the person and I think a balance is needed between skill, theory and having a good ear.

Some people tend to learn bit of theory and then stick to it rigidly which really limits their playing. For me the real magic comes from theory when you understand enough to be comfortable breaking a few rules.
    Knowing what key you're in is great but knowing how/when to play outside of that key gives you much more freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Self taught. Playing since I was nine. I discovered certain notes would sound nice when played in a certain key. What I actually discovered was the minor pentatonic scale across the six strings in position 1.
    Lately I've been trying to catch up on all this theory stuff. Find it interesting. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭miniroar

I’m also self thought playing bass 15 years so recently I’ve started looking at online theory stuff to finally learn what’s going on and I’m starting to see why my runs and licks i do by ear work, even just after a few weeks I can see oh when i do this in that song that’s actually scale x or whatever, so i have been applying theory without my knowledge the whole time! was thinking of getting theory lessons off someone to keep the interest there because when i start looking online im like this is boring now lets do slap triplets instead thats what the audience wants to hear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Rigsby wrote: »
    It is never too late to learn. Here is a great link if you want to make a start.

http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Music%20Theory%20-%20Basic,%20Intermediate,%20Advanced.pdf

Have just read the first few pages. Gold dust. Cheers man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Have just read the first few pages. Gold dust. Cheers man!

You're welcome ! :) Glad you find it useful. The secret is to take a small chunk at a time, digest this, then move on. Otherwise you find yourself getting bogged down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement