Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhat rude moderation posts.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I know you're joking, but considering humanji said that points about 'rude' moderation were taken on board, and changes made, in the past, some mods do agree (or at least did) that rude moderation can be a problem.

If a mod is rude, it immediately portrays the forum as being hostile. Nobody wants to post in a place that they feel is hostile.

Oh, I wasn't joking.

I was quite nice to every poster who followed the rules, or came to me with issues/questions. The trolls and abusive gits who just didn't get it, though, I felt no compunction to give them any special treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Sarky wrote: »
    Oh, I wasn't joking.

I was quite nice to every poster who followed the rules, or came to me with issues/questions. The trolls and abusive gits who just didn't get it, though, I felt no compunction to give them any special treatment.

I don't think this is about giving them special treatment though. It's about not giving them bad treatment. If you have a problem poster then the option is there to infract or ban him. There's no need to get the last word in or throw in a parting dig. it looks petty and makes the infraction or ban look personally motivated. Having said that, i don't see this particular issue as a major one on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

SB2013 wrote: »
    I don't think this is about giving them special treatment though. It's about not giving them bad treatment. If you have a problem poster then the option is there to infract or ban him. There's no need to get the last word in or throw in a parting dig. it looks petty and makes the infraction or ban look personally motivated. Having said that, i don't see this particular issue as a major one on Boards.

Yes. You can hardly condemn someone for being rude and insulting and then do the same yourself.

If the rudeness continues from other posters too, it could be because an example was set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

darced wrote: »

I've apologised for the tone of my post but I'm not apologising for thread banning you.

Like I told you in pm, Liz told people to get back on topic and you ignored it. Then I told people to get back on topic and you ignored that as well.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

'Don't get your knickers in a twist' is a really inflammatory way of telling somebody to chill out, just saying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Probably because you're a pain to deal with, if your posts in this thread since the ban are anything to go by...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I've had one mod action in three and a half years in after hours which I deserved,so your wrong there matey.

Mods dont like it when them showing bias is pointed out obviously.

There's no need to get your knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Regardless of mod actions, you come across as quite passive-aggressive and a little rules lawyery. Neither of which are pleasent to deal with, even if they don't break the rules.

Personally, I always liked a bit of a joke or even rudeness in a moderation post. I think it adds a bit of character to the site but then I don't think I've ever been on the receiving end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Dont post in this thread again.

That's the spirit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You questioned a mod decision on thread. The world and it's mothers knows that's a no no. You're lucky you didn't get forum banned.... Most folk would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

MugMugs wrote: »
    You questioned a mod decision on thread. The world and it's mothers knows that's a no no. You're lucky you didn't get forum banned.... Most folk would have been.
    There are times when I think this particular forum is the most hostile one on boards.ie. The Feedback Forum exists so that people who are not entirely happy with the way boards is run can express their concerns and seek to bring about improvement. Some posters are dealt with in belligerent manner.

Yes, darced did question a mod decision, but not in any obvious sense of challenging it - it looked like asking for the basis of a mod decision.

Further, it happened in a feedback thread, where the rules cannot really be applied in quite the same way as in other threads,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Who's being hostile? Question was asked, answer was given. Simples.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The direct question was asking why a user was banned, that's a no no site wide. Considering the thread is asking for feedback on AH and explicitly states in the first post than cards and bans aren't to be discussed, I see no problem with the thread ban whatsoever.

The wording was a bit harsh as the mod apologised for, that doesn't make the ban wrong.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    ... Considering the thread is asking for feedback on AH and explicitly states in the first post than cards and bans aren't to be discussed, I see no problem with the thread ban whatsoever....
    It doesn't say that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    'Don't get your knickers in a twist' is a really inflammatory way of telling somebody to chill out, just saying.

Only if you are incredibly sensitive. "Chill out" can be a lot more inflammatory in some cases. The only issue should be that he questioned a mod instruction on thread instead of in the appropriate forum.
    Probably because you're a pain to deal with, if your posts in this thread since the ban are anything to go by...

This really annoys me. Admins and mods should not be referring to a posters history when justifying an infraction or ban. In the real world this would be akin to using a persons previous convictions to justify a charge against them. It's should not be done. If a person breaks a rule than that's one thing. If they subsequently turn out to have been in the right then they shouldn't be punished for their past. it comes across as petty and unfair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

This is another example of being rude. In fact almost all of your posts in feedback come across as elitist, pompous, and rude.

All you do here is post condescending shite.

For example:
    I love the smell of vague whining in the morning...

It's a Sunday afternoon. People have families to look after, jobs to do, dinners to cook. Cop on and have a little bit of patience.
    Bullshit.

The above may be your opinion, but it's so far from reality that there's no other way to describe it.

My opinion is that you're just here on a wind-up mission. The majority of your posts in this thread seem to have been designed to cause as much noise as possible with the minimum of constructive input. If you want people to be receptive to your ideas, you're going to have to communicate them in a way that doesn't serve to isolate you from your intended audience.
    Here's an idea: do what I advised you to do two and a half days ago.
    Do what a site Administrator advised you to do.

Drop the self-centred crap and make your poxy complaint before everyone loses patience with you. Tip-toeing around the problem, speaking in vague generalisations and refusing to point people in the right direction is making you look like a total and utter muppet.
    Read the ****ing thing yourself. I'm not your secretary. I'm not going through ~150 posts looking for the info for you.
    You totally deserved the first one and the third one. Cop on to yourself.

Then you have your snide one liners:
    *yawn*
    Nope.
    Get over it.

That's just from a very quick search, I'm sure there's a heap more.

I know you probably think that you come across as a no nonsense, take no prisoners sort, but you don't, you're just being an arsehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It doesn't say that.

The red font is as it is in the original

If something is bothering you, please suggest how we can improve it rather
    than just use it as a thread to complain.
    Please make your feedback as constructive as possible, providing examples where available.

Normal forum rules will of course apply, please be civil, personal abuse will not be tolerated.

NB: This is not the place to appeal your
    bans or infractions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84630018&postcount=1

Nodin wrote: »
    There is quite a difference between appealing one's own bans or infractions and seeking clarification from a mod on what behaviour gave rise to a directive not to post in a thread.

There is quite a difference between appealing one's own bans or infractions and seeking clarification from a mod on what behaviour gave rise to a directive not to post in a thread.

Between the bit in red font and "Normal forum rules will of course apply...." its blatantly bloody obvious.

Nodin wrote: »
    Between the bit in red font and "Normal forum rules will of course apply...." its blatantly bloody obvious.
    I picked up on K-9 saying "[the thread] explicitly states in the first post than cards and bans aren't to be discussed". It doesn't.

My understanding is that there is some leeway given in threads designated as feedback threads, so nothing is blatantly bloody obvious.

I picked up on K-9 saying "[the thread] explicitly states in the first post than cards and bans aren't to be discussed". It doesn't.

My understanding is that there is some leeway given in threads designated as feedback threads, so nothing is blatantly bloody obvious.

I'd suggest your understanding has made considerable headway between itself and the facts.

• Advertisement

This is another example of being rude. In fact almost all of your posts in feedback come across as elitist, pompous, and rude.

All you do here is post condescending shite.

For example:

(..............)ust from a very quick search, I'm sure there's a heap more.

I know you probably think that you come across as a no nonsense, take no prisoners sort, but you don't, you're just being an arsehole.

Context would have been a help......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement