Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

david75 wrote: »
    Really? I'll say it to the neighbour. It's his. Definitely see that it's welded on the sides. No sign of rust and its been out there for 4 years at least.
    Thanks Paddy!

Those old galvanized attic tanks are sought after,as most of them get chopped up in the attic by the plumber,so thay can be got out of the attic easily.

So an intact one like that is worth a few bob.

They make for lovely water features and mini wildlife ponds too.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Deadly. I'll say it to him.

While I have you paddy, do you know what these are! I planted em but never labelled em. Sap like me. Pretty certain it's a veg
    null-226.jpg

And these. Thought they were sunflowers. They might be peppers. I don't know :(
    null-1324.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

You can hard prune that Buddleia to the ground and it will grow back very fast. It's a bit late now but you can do it every year in spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think the first one is a weed, or possibly some sort of aster/daisy type flower. If the leaves feel quite soft and clingy its probably a weed, if they are a bit rough and more rigid they could be daisies. I can't think of any veg they might be. The second one is probably peppers.

Cook thanks folks!!

Paddy, he's happy to sell that water tank! If you or anyone you know wants it, shoot me a mail!

• Advertisement

I'd love to have it, but sadly I really don't have any space for it!

Not to worry. I'll find a home or a use for it. It really is solid. Just needs a bit of a clean up inside.

Well it's as ready as I can make it. Did me best to get all the stones and pebbles out but I'm being beaten by numbers. The majority are gone from the surface though. It's not as level as I'd like it and the psycho neighbour has a problem with me citing the tree back. Don't know what to do about that.
    Gonna throw some fertiliser on it and should I leave it a few days?
    Have the grass seed ready to go.
    Here tisnull-270.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Hats off, that's some amount of work. I wouldn't put any fertiliser on it, it could burn up any new grass that germinates. As most I would sprinkle a bit of fine store bought compost around, just lightly. You wouldn't be feeding new grass for at least six weeks I'd say. Key thing is to sow thickly to allow for failures and to keep it moist. If it rains, great. If not, give it a light hose each evening, make sure it is a fine enough spray so you don't wash the seed around. If it dries out the seed won't germinate. Expect to get lots of weeds, that's unavoidable, but after a couple of months with regular cutting and maybe a feed and weed they should be controlled.
    It will be important to give it an autumn feed in say October. That will stand them in good stead over winter And you'll have a great lawn next year. Lidl do special autumn lawn feed around September.

Brillo thanks for that.
    Felt a bad awkward yesterday. The elderly neighbour who's lawn it is knocked and shoved an envelope in me hand. Couldn't get him to take it back. 300€ in it. Felt bad cos I wasn't doing of for money at all.
    Gonna spend it on loads of good shrubs and flowers for around the sides. And maybe a lawnmower or a strimmer. I do mine with just a clippers and that's hard goin. Me arse am I doing two for the next few years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

interesting PAddy, I have one sitting in my attic. didnt know i would gert money for it or could use it as a water feature.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that second plant above looks like sunflowers to me.

Brillo thanks for that.
    Felt a bad awkward yesterday. The elderly neighbour who's lawn it is knocked and shoved an envelope in me hand. Couldn't get him to take it back. 300€ in it. Felt bad cos I wasn't doing of for money at all.
    Gonna spend it on loads of good shrubs and flowers for around the sides. And maybe a lawnmower or a strimmer. I do mine with just a clippers and that's hard goin. Me arse am I doing two for the next few years!

Put yourself In his shoes. You've made him very happy. Take it and enjoy it. God some day you'll be an old fart too and some young buck will do you a good turn. It's all good karma. You might offend him or make him feel like a charity case if you go and spend it all back on him. Maybe buy him a nice apple tree?

Lovely idea!! Thanks for that!
    Yeah I'm Irish and were not famous for being gracious. Bit I will be as much as possible. The flowers etc wont cost that much. Just be a nice touch for him and his wife. I think anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

my garden was like this with a low boundary. absolute head wrecking looking at my neighbours during the summer. i now have a 6 foot wall on one side and panel fencing on tother. i would cut that tree back on your side. the neighbour can moan all he likes but thats your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Lovely idea!! Thanks for that!
    Yeah I'm Irish and were not famous for being gracious. Bit I will be as much as possible. The flowers etc wont cost that much. Just be a nice touch for him and his wife. I think anyways.

I have just read this thread from start to finish - you have just made me realise that there are still some good people about. Nice to see someone doing something for someone else and not expecting anything in return.

Also, you should be congratulated on doing such a good job even though you do not have much experience. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Great work David. Re the lawn, get a loan of a sprinkler and sow thickly. You won't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Firstly, fair play to you for doing this for an elderly neighbour! Serious, serious kudos due. :D

Secondly:
    the psycho neighbour has a problem with me citing the tree back. Don't know what to do about that.
    Whose garden is the tree in? Your neighbours or the neighbours neighbour if you know what I mean?

Talk to your neighbour - the owner of the garden, he is the one who would be affected/responsible, but he is legally within his rights to cut back (or have you cut back) anything that is overhanging his garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would cut that tree back on your side. the neighbour can moan all he likes but thats your right.
    i would be wary about doing this; first of all, it's not david's fight, and it's not up to him to not just create animosity with a neighbour for himself, but for another neighbour too. plus, given the fact that the gardens are a shared visual space, there's no harm in taking the wishes of others into account.

• Advertisement

Thing is the greet in question is actually growing out of the wall between three properties. It's definitely more on my elderly neighbours side. I was going to try to tie it up at least until the lawn takes. That'll be tricky as I'm doing it on my own and obviously don't want to trespass on the other two properties. The other neighbour whos garden also looks onto my elderly neighbours one is fine with me cutting it back/tying it up. I'll figure something out.
    Tying it up is the way to go I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Maybe have another talk to the dissenting neighbour. After seeing what you've done with the backyard (ie complete clear) he might be worried that you're planning on chopping the tree down and grinding the stump! Let him know what you want to do, and see if that still isn't agreeable, what would he find acceptable?
    Good fences and all that.

Thing is he isn't very friendly. He's even threatened to kill me a couple of times. Hence my difficulty.

Ah come on David, what's a little death threat between neighbours!?
    Yeah, I would probably just leave that tree thing alone. Doesn't look too bad all of a sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thing is he isn't very friendly. He's even threatened to kill me a couple of times. Hence my difficulty.

He must really like that buddlia. At least it'll attract butterflies.

Butterflys and Hoverflys are allways a nice sight to see fluttering/hovering around the garden.:)

We saw an unreal amount of them up in Donegal and also over at The Giants Causway at the weekend.They were everywhere.

Nice pics Paddy, not a lot of butterflies though!

looksee wrote: »
    Nice pics Paddy, not a lot of butterflies though!

I know,thats what I just thought,after reading your post and now looking through all the pics on both of our cameras.
    Everything but the butterflys and hoverflys.......:o:pac::D

Cut back that tree today. Felt bad but I'm sure it'll fly back.
    Ready to get sowing now.
    null-587.jpg

• Advertisement

That looks better! Hard to see how he will even notice...unless he reads boards of course! I think that shrub in the foreground is a pyracantha and it would lend itself to being tied back to the fence and persuaded to grow upright. Nice shrub.

Advertisement