Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Yeah I'm gonna cut that back today.

Sowed(it was loads but still doesn't feel like enough)
    null-613.jpg

Raked over
    null-2448.jpg

I'll give it a light watering tonight once its cool. And then we wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

david75 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm gonna cut that back today.

Sowed(it was loads but still doesn't feel like enough)
    null-613.jpg

Raked over
    null-2448.jpg

I'll give it a light watering tonight once its cool. And then we wait.

I would seriously look at clearing away the foliage on the left and replacing with some fairly inexpensive bamboo screening and running a little fence along the left hand side.

It would give the garden much cleaner lines plus the screen would make the garden much more of a focus.

sfb9t1.jpg

Good idea. I'll ask him if he wants that.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Good idea. I'll ask him if he wants that.

The bamboo is fairly inexpensive and would not eat too much into your 300 bucks :)

Fair play david it is definitely back breaking work and to do it for an elderly person deserves big credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you do decide to do the bamboo I would wait a while now the seed is sown until the lawn is established, as it would be quite a job uprooting the shrubs and would make a mess of your work on the lawn. I would not pull up the pyracantha, they are nicely established and with a bit of tying up would make a good boundary.

• Advertisement

The border shrubs *own* the whole thing. Roots going every which way.
    He doesn't want the bamboo. Thinks it looks tacky. I agree with him. I'll pull these shrubs back and tie them up and let it work for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

The border shrubs *own* the whole thing. Roots going every which way.
    He doesn't want the bamboo. Thinks it looks tacky. I agree with him. I'll pull these shrubs back and tie them up and let it work for itself.

First of all, fair play!

yeah i agree, think the bamboo looks cheap and as for one random length of timber fencing its not very cohesive to the rest of the garden. As said in a previous post, i wouldn't do anymore with the garden until the lawn is established. When the grass has reached 50mm, cut it to 25mm to encourage tillering of the young grasses. New lawns generally should be used as little as possible in the first growing season.

Also i see some bricks down at the back wall of the garden. If these are the same bricks that are in the wall at the front right of the garden, then perhaps you could build a small wall where the proposed fence was going to go. hope this helps and best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Great work!

:-)

Thanks.

Should I be watering this every evening? It's been really unusually dry lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Yep, every evening, a quick light sprinkle. Unless there's rain. It's a pain, but why go to all that trouble just to mess it up at the end. It will be worth it.

• Advertisement

Cool. I will so that so. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

can you get rid of the ivy on the right?

I can but its not causing a problem. Might be trouble cos it hangs into two neighbours gardens. Why?

I think it looks fine there. Ivy is often a pest but really, while it might not be good for the wall, its a big enough space for it to look good and probably shelters lots of wildlife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

@ David75.

Fair play to you for helping out your elderly neighbour.

I wish you the best of luck with it and hope your neighbour really appreciates all the effort and hard work put into the garden on your part.:)

He does. His daughter came in yesterday and she said she had never seen it like that. Only ever was a jungle of nettles.

Might have screwed up today. Got a big bag of compost 'liberated' from the Phoenix park to sprinkle over it. It'll be more nettles for a while but I'll be watching this like a hawk til next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Should be ok if it's kept mowed this year to keep them down. I reclaimed a nettle patch last year. Neglected things this spring and when I went back to it, was mainly grass, only maybe a dozen nettles in ten sq m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Really hope you post some more pics david.

Really inspiring post. Can't wait to see the garden grow and grow

Ah thanks. I will once it's grown. I'm staying off it completely til then. Watering it from my garden. Though I haven't really had to, there've been regularly light sporadic showers the last few days and the top always looks damp, which is good I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The bamboo is fairly inexpensive and would not eat too much into your 300 bucks :)

Where do you get that bamboo screening?

Great job on the garden OP!

• Advertisement

My own snotty little upstart garden
    null-1905.jpg
    null-2410.jpg

Hey folks
    Just an update. My neighbours lawn has started to grow. Sadly it looks mad patchy despite my best efforts. Should I just leave it alone of get more seed down? I haven't been on it at all, just been watering gently during the sunny breaks we've been having.
    Here tis
    null-2346.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

No harm to apply more seed but I wouldn't be overly worried. The mix of seeds may have germinated at different rates or been affected by light, moisture etc. early days yet but it's looking good.

Cool thanks. My mate suggested to gently walk on the grass that has popped up to bend the stems which creates more root action without cutting them. This seems like a bad idea this early. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

I've never heard of that one before. I was always advised the opposite. It's doing fine, it takes a while for a lawn to develope. An apple tree at the bottom of the garden and it will be a lovely quaint little area.

That looks really good. Dont worry about it being patchy, the seed will germinate at different rates. I definately wouldnt walk over the area. You worked it over before sowing the seed so the soil will be loose. If you tread on it you will compact it. Just leave it be and water in the evenings if it's been hot and dry - like we are expecting it to be from the weekend onwards :)
    You should expect to see a lot of weeds too. Dont worry, that's normal and unavoidable. Just let them come and deal with them later once the lawn is more established and hardy.

By the way, if you have seed left over there's no harm in chucking it at the bare patches.

Hey
    So is this ready to cut do you think? It's 2/3 inches at its tallest and 1 at its shortest. I want to get in and do up those patches too. Figure ill do it after I cut.
    19D91E24-3C96-46F0-B926-230FA0FD75A7-2168-000000AC7E94BE13.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Yeah, can already see some weeds coming up. Get 'er cut, then get to work on the patches would be my plan.

• Advertisement

Yes, cut on a high setting and make sure the blade(s) is clean and sharp, the young grass is still quite fragile.

Advertisement