Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

And would you believe it, we no longer have access to my OH's ma's lawnmower. Gonna have to do this by hand.

Wonderful :(

Thats a great job you did, and what a nice thing to do for your neighbour . fair play.

Just have this its first cut and I'm gutted. Can see what a complete b*ll*x I've made of it. And I know a lot of it was birds cos we've millions here everyday. Now I know why. But I got it wrong too

Gonna reseed to bits tomorrow. So gutted. It looks awful
    4B54910A-27C4-4B8C-9393-F48CBA4D7969-8962-0000025593F4EF09.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Ahh, don't be too down. It's a bit patchy, but that was always going to happen, birds are divils for grass seed at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

david75 wrote: »
    Just have this its first cut and I'm gutted. Can see what a complete b*ll*x I've made of it. And I know a lot of it was birds cos we've millions here everyday. Now I know why. But I got it wrong too

Gonna reseed to bits tomorrow. So gutted. It looks awful
    Rome wasn't build in a day David, you're doing a brilliant job. I think you're doing a wonderful thing for this man, if only there were more people like you :) Don't be too disheartened, keeping on top of what is going on with our grass is a labour of love for any gardener. Keep up the good work :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

It's looking brilliant for a brand new lawn. Some of those grasses will be creepers and help fill it out but a helping hand with more seed won't go amiss.

When you're finished there, please move next door to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Good for you :D lovely job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Don't be down. Maybe your expectations are a bit high. Like someone said, some of the grass will spread and fill in the gaps. Anyway, I think it was always going to be next spring/summer that you would get the lawn you want. The most important thing will be the autumn maintenance. Read up on that in the book. Sow autumn seed in September and give it an overwinter feed in November before the bad weather hits and I garauntee you'll have a great lawn next year.
    Doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

You are doing a great job,you will get there give it time.We are having really warm weather which doesn't help.I am watering my garden twice a day,and some plants are still struggling. Keep up the good work.

Ah thanks for the encouragement.
    Bought loads of seed today and two big bags of compost. Went over all the patches and seeded to bits then dumped loads of compost over. Fingers crossed.
    1F43ABDA-CD24-48F7-AFD9-109625B2C956-1461-0000007B3CA49247.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Just read this thread from start to finish...you have done an amazing job! Fair play to you for helping your neighbour. we need more people like you in the world....
    now, are you ever in Cork? my garden needs doing..

Thanks for the kind words! Was bummed out but just decoded to go and fix it.
    Reseeded generously and bought more compost and went over it again and then went a bit mad with the tin foil. Someone told me birds won't land of I string up some tin foil cos the light off them makes them think its water? Don't know of its true bit it's worth a shot cos we've so many birds here all day and they were gorging on the seed. Here tis
    2CFFDB86-27F4-49A5-BE92-4A5B720C0E0B-5431-000001F58747385F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

hopefully that tin foil will work!

More hoping the new seeds take and the patches disappear!!

Stupid question time.
    I only cut this on Sunday and its after shooting back up. Should I trim the edges on all the patchy parts to let the sun at them or should I leave them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Leave the grass for about 2 weeks.

You have put down more seed and this needs time. Don't trample all over it.

If you can try and water the garden every evening with a spray. A new lawn will suffer in this dry spell and the new seeds won't germinate.

Keep it up. You're doing a great job.

Yeah I've not been on it at all, nobody has. Been gently sprinkling it each being when the suns gone. Just want it to be perfect.
    They probably won't even ever use it but fingers crossed it fills out And looks good.
    Thanks for all the advice folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

hows the grass coming along david?

Hey!
    Yeah it's great! Mad mad long but I've been told not to cut it until late September? Seems kind of counterintuitive. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Ok this is it now. I really want to cut it cos the length is blocking the light to the patchy parts as well as the grass underneath but I've been told to leave it? I planted loads of sunflowers and windflowers up the back but nothing is coming up yet really.
    Any ideas on the grass appreciated
    null-776.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Cut it on the highest setting, leave it much longer and it will be silage :)

Defo give it a cut on a high setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

As above. Cut it and take it nice and slow. You don't want to rip it out of the ground.

yeah make sure the blades on the mower are sharp so it doesnt pull the grass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

WTF? who said not to cut it till september? Must have been taking the p*ss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Definitely give it a cut now. It will help the lawn to develop better and you'll also help keep weeds out of it...

Well done. It's looking great!!

Well david, 6 months on from the last time u posted a pic, how is the grass looking now? :)

That's mad that you asked I was coming back to you guys about this. It all went to sh!te unfortunately. This is it now.
    I'm gonna start all over again I think
    F5C11FD3-4F75-492C-9FFF-27176F2774DD.jpg

And this is my own. That's the culprit centre frame
    C6C4C3CD-E04A-490D-BD5D-79D2BF1D6CC3.png

Don't know how to tell you this, if you keep the dog you're not going to sort it out :( They run and scratch and that's it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know. The dog stays. I don't mind doing it over. He has no access to my neighbours yard. That went to hell all on its own.

Advertisement