Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baking/ bread Soda for teeth whitening: Yay or nay?

• 11-06-2013 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone here ever tried this? I drink a LOT of coffee & used to smoke a lot so my poor teeth are not too white despite brushing regularly.

I am thinking of trying this but I am concerned that it might be harmful.

I have read conflicting reports online. If anyone knows if it is bad or not I'd really appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Hi, I have never tried baking soda but I swear by Eucryl tooth powder (the smokers version). It's great for removing tea/coffee stains. Also I've heard only great things about Crest Strips. They're not available in shops here, I think it's just America, but you can order them through eBay UK. I'll be ordering them soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

+ 1 for smokers toothpaste - great for getting teeth sparkly and pretty cheap too! The only thing is that if you have sensitive teeth or eroded enamel you may need to use something more gentle (TBH - if you have either of these issues, you would probably need to contact a dentist to ensure you don't damage you teeth trying to whiten them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hey, I used the baking soda trick a few times, and well as far as i know i didnt damage my teeth. Now i didnt use it all the time maybe once a week, or when I thought there was something coming up I used it maybe 2 - 3 days every day before hand. Mine were pretty stained from smoking so I got them whitened last year. It defo did brighten them up but it doesnt last forever. THe deal I got gave you a mouth guard and three at home whitening gels which I found were fab. It was polanight the stuff. Lasted for ages i still have a pen and a half left.. You should ask maybe your dentist if they do this tis rather good

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gorgeous_george

My friend uses it regularly and he (I know...he) hasn't had any problems. He just mixes a bit with water in a cup and uses it like a normal toothpaste

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

Baking soda won't damage your teeth, just don't overdo and wash them every day with the darn thing.

Other than that, products that are on market are mostly as bleach is for clothes: it will whiten the fabric but will weaken it too.

Good ole' baking soda will do the trick, just be patient but not too much :)

If you want to invest in something good for your teeth, try Oral B Triumph 5000. Allegedly it's the best toothbrush out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Soot will have the same effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

rubbing your teeth with a cut strawberry, then rinsing with bread soda and water (like mouthwash) works really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

yummie

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bigearl1111

hi can any1 tell me is bread soda the same as baking soda... thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

hi can any1 tell me is bread soda the same as baking soda... thx
    Yep same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

You'd be better off going for a trip to the dentist and getting your teeth cleaned professionally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Luno wrote: »
    You'd be better off going for a trip to the dentist and getting your teeth cleaned professionally.

Agreed - used this method for two weeks and strawberries as well and saw no difference. Used Arm and Hammer toothpaste for about another two weeks and that lifted a bit (more than the bread soda, and tastier too!) so I think I might try some smoker's toothpaste now

• Registered Users Posts: 10 vanessa171

if your going to use baking soda just use it 2 days a week at the most no more

Advertisement