Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing food through security

Options
  • 11-06-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

So myself and 2 friends are heading off to Orlando on Monday and we're gonna bring some food with us to have on the plane as the food served can be pretty hit and miss! One of the girls wants to bring some pick and mix on and I was wondering if we would be let through security with this as it isn't in a sealed packet like a normal bag of sweets. Are there any foods which won't be allowed on the plane? I know that once we land in Orlando we can't take the food off the plane but that won't be a problem :P thanks so much!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I don't think that there are any restrictions as to foods that you can take onto a plane, only liquids and foods that are liquid in nature (jam for example).

I don't see why you couldn't take the same food through security at Orlando though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Grace16 wrote: »
    So myself and 2 friends are heading off to Orlando on Monday and we're gonna bring some food with us to have on the plane as the food served can be pretty hit and miss! One of the girls wants to bring some pick and mix on and I was wondering if we would be let through security with this as it isn't in a sealed packet like a normal bag of sweets. Are there any foods which won't be allowed on the plane? I know that once we land in Orlando we can't take the food off the plane but that won't be a problem :P thanks so much!

Any dairy, veg or meat products will be a no no unless canned. Sweets, crisps etc are good. Dried good eg instant coffee, tea and custard are good. Canned stuff suchs as beans are good

Ponster wrote: »
    I don't think that there are any restrictions as to foods that you can take onto a plane, only liquids and foods that are liquid in nature (jam for example).

I don't see why you couldn't take the same food through security at Orlando though ?

EU is within a common border, Flying from Ireland to the US, you are not flying within a border but across one. They do not allow certain products (Meats, Dairy, Veg etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You won't have a problem with airport security, aside from the liquids issue that has been pointed out above. Where you may encounter difficulties is with the folk at US Immigration. They screen passengers on behalf of the US Dept. of Agriculture and will ask you if you are carrying any food. They may ask you to deposit certain meats, fruits and/or vegetables in a 'special bin', this happened an aunt of mine about a year ago, she had an orange which they wouldn't allow her to take on the flight.

Bear in mind that the US agriculture industry is huge and a very important part of the economy so pest and disease control is taken seriously. There are certain state lines within the 48 states where there are checkpoints whose purpose is to enforce regulations forbidding the transport of certain foodstuffs into the state. Some states even control the movement of bees.

In Dublin airport there's no point in promising to consume the goods onboard. As far as the US agents are concerned you have entered the USA when you pass their desk so it's not an option, either you can bring it all the way into the US or you must surrender it there and then.

Travelers bringing food into the U.S. for personal use

Darren1o1 wrote: »
    Any dairy, veg or meat products will be a no no unless canned. Sweets, crisps etc are good. Dried good eg instant coffee, tea and custard are good. Canned stuff suchs as beans are good
    Darren1o1 wrote: »
    EU is within a common border, Flying from Ireland to the US, you are not flying within a border but across one. They do not allow certain products (Meats, Dairy, Veg etc)

The OP is referring to taking food onto the place to eat and not taking food into the US, ex-pat style.

A sandwich with meat in it isn't going to be stopped at security and is unlikely to even show up in the scan (unless the sandwich is wrapped in foil as the sensors detect when organic and non-organic materials are in contact.

• Advertisement

The OP is referring to taking food onto the place to eat and not taking food into the US, ex-pat style.

A sandwich with meat in it isn't going to be stopped at security and is unlikely to even show up in the scan (unless the sandwich is wrapped in foil as the sensors detect when organic and non-organic materials are in contact.

You could wave an irish sandwich in front of an americans face and they wouldnt be able to see it, its so small compared to theirs.

My aunt assured the US agent in Dublin that she intended to eat the orange on the plane but she wasn't allowed to take it onboard so they don't make the distinction.

As I stated above, the issue is not with DAA security, it's compliance with US DoA regulations that you need to take into account.

If the OP is not doing immigration until he/she gets to Orlando then there's no issue, otherwise they will have to either tell lies to the US agents in Dublin or hand over any forbidden food.

They are both treated the same.

But it still would be illegal and run the risk of being caught and prosecuted.

coylemj wrote: »
    If the OP is not doing immigration until he/she gets to Orlando then there's no issue, otherwise they will have to either tell lies to the US agents in Dublin or hand over any forbidden food.

I understand all that but the OP is asking about a bag of sweets and never mentioned going through Dublin airport which would of course change things a little :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

Thanks so much for all of your help! Somebody mentioned that we would probably go through immigration before getting to Orlando so I'll take a chance with the sweets but I won't bring any dairy/meat/fruit products with us and hope that they won't mind our need for sugar on the flight :P Thanks again!

• Advertisement

I understand all that but the OP is asking about a bag of sweets and never mentioned going through Dublin airport which would of course change things a little :)

Her user profile says that she's located in Dublin. I know she said she was going to bring sweets but she also asked the general question..
    Grace16 wrote: »
    Are there any foods which won't be allowed on the plane?

So I think it was reasonable to give her the full picture.

Advertisement