Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice naming a game?

• 11-06-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any pointers on the process of naming a game?

Like what approach did you take to naming the game? A funny name, a punny name.

How important do you think a name is? Its the first thing people will see of your game, but its not really like the good ol days of NES, going into a shop and not having a notion what games you were buying, basing it on box art and names.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

Check out the top ten of whatever platform you are aiming at...see if there are any trends for success.

Look at what your favourite all time games are...how did they manage it?

Descriptive of content: Cut The Rope, Temple Run, Dumb Ways to Die, erm...Killzone :)

More Abstract: Angry Birds, Braid, REMEMBER ME

Having a descriptive name might help people with short attention spans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

My titles always seem to come off the back page of a crappy red top. My fishing game was "Baits me" and if I had to come up with a name for your game in progress it would be something silly like "Ready, set, GOAL".

I think the big thing is that the title shares the games "adjectives" when describing it if that makes sense. If the game is wacky and light hearted so is the title. If its a realistic number crunching simulator the title needs to be more serious. for example say "Civilisation" and "Krush Kill n Destroy" should hint at which category their respective games fall into straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 techguy101

You'll want a name that as Kyotokid said, gives some description of what the game is about. Halo: Combat Evolved, did a good job of having a catchy name they liked, while still describing what the game is about, in a way.

Advertisement