Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many .338 Licences

Options
  • 11-06-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Just wondering how many members have or are aware of people getting licenced on this caliber?

Had my own meeting with the chief super this morning.

Just wondering about anyone else's experience

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I know of three that i have seen, and a further two that i have heard off.

All three are members of a long range, range and got it on those grounds. Never seen or even heard of one being licensed for any sort of hunting (at least not at home, maybe abroad). I know a lad that got a large caliber (not sure of the specifics but well over .308,) and said he uses it for hunting abroad. He got the license, but only for use abroad not at home.

What you looking to use it for?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SiMurphy9

Im looking to use it for long range target shooting only.

Im a member down in the Midlands club myself and their range goes out to 1200 yards so the facilities are not an issue it will just be down to the superintendants judgement.

Hopefully it swings my way fingers crossed.

Cass wrote: »
    I know of three that i have seen, and a further two that i have heard off.

All three are members of a long range, range and got it on those grounds. Never seen or even heard of one being licensed for any sort of hunting (at least not at home, maybe abroad). I know a lad that got a large caliber (not sure of the specifics but well over .308,) and said he uses it for hunting abroad. He got the license, but only for use abroad not at home.

What you looking to use it for?

Out of interest what are the 3 .338 rifles you mentioned... Custom rifles or off the shelf?

Off the shelf rifles. One i haven't seen in 5+ years, the other two have not been on the range anytime i have. I know one of them is still around as i see it from time to time when i go to the lad's place.

I'm a member myself so a small bit of advice. The 338 is pointless in terms of target shooting for competition sake. It's too big for F-Class and most any other form of comp (shot here) from a caliber point of view.

If long range shooting is your bag then try a 6.5x284, 7mm/300wm, 7mm Shehane, or even go for a .308 as they are plenty good for 1,200 yards, and a lot easier to license, get ammo for, etc. Even the 30-06 or 300 WinMag are not good enough for target work (ammo issues here), but would be better than the .338 from a practical point of view.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Off the shelf rifles. One i haven't seen in 5+ years, the other two have not been on the range anytime i have. I know one of them is still around as i see it from time to time when i go to the lad's place.

I'm a member myself so a small bit of advice. The 338 is pointless in terms of target shooting for competition sake. It's too big for F-Class and most any other form of comp (shot here) from a caliber point of view.

If long range shooting is your bag then try a 6.5x284, 7mm/300wm, 7mm Shehane, or even go for a .308 as they are plenty good for 1,200 yards, and a lot easier to license, get ammo for, etc. Even the 30-06 or 300 WinMag are not good enough for target work (ammo issues here), but would be better than the .338 from a practical point of view.

Thanks very much for the info pal.

I already have a .308 in a remi 700 i will have to get a new barrel to go anywhere out past 800 yards.. was thinking of just keeping that for the deer & then having something a bit special for the range.

Not necessarily looking to compete at the moment but i do take your point about usability in the future.

What issues are you finding with the 300WM?

• Advertisement

SiMurphy9 wrote: »
    Not necessarily looking to compete at the moment but i do take your point about usability in the future.
    The (possible) problem you will face is proving why a restricted rifle is needed over a non restricted. You cannot claim for comps as there are none so you face an uphill battle.

he licensing bit aside it's the use of the rifle. If i were paying in the region of €4,000+ for a .338 rilfe then scope, etc, not to mention up to €5 per round i would want to be putting it to god use. I would grow tired of shooting it at any distance very quickly without some sort of goal or target (excuse the pun) to aim for.

Better off having a rifle that would serve as a nice range rifle, and something that can immediately be used for target if you go that route. Not having the 338 then if you want to get competitive have to sell it or buy again to shoot targets.
    What issues are you finding with the 300WM?
    The 300WinMag is not allowed to be shot in FTR. Only .308 win. So it is now in F-open category. In the F-Open category you have a .308 bullet up against the 6.5 and 7mm, ballistically better, bullets.

That is why i suggested looking at something like a 7mm/300wm. It's a 300 wm case necked to 7mm, and is one hell of a round. So the issue is competitiveness. If you went for a straight 300wm then you have a great gun, but much like the 338 not suited to the guns you are going to be shooting against. However unlike the 338 if you had a straight 300wm you could always rebarrel to 7mm/300 down the road when you want to go the competitive route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

I know of a detective with a .338 Lapua in a Sako TRG, don't know what he shoots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

4200fps wrote: »
    I know of a detective with a .338 Lapua in a Sako TRG, don't know what he shoots

Probably nothing, he's too busy getting the wooden tops to do the work for him ;)

...ill get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Cupid__Stunt

I had a .338 lap mag couple of years ago and have never been a member of a club.. depends on your Super I think.

Advertisement