Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New in Leixlip

Options
  • 11-06-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi All, I am new to Boards.ie and relatively new to Leixlip, having moved here last October. I was extremely homesick at first (for Meath:(), having lived there for 15 years. I feel a bit more settled now and am trying to decide if I should move back to Meath or stay where I am. I was in north Meath and the commute to work was a killer, hence my move.

Any ideas on how I can settle in better in Leixlip, make friends etc.?
    Also, any ideas on how to make the decision Leixlip V Meath?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Hi All, I am new to Boards.ie and relatively new to Leixlip, having moved here last October. I was extremely homesick at first (for Meath:(), having lived there for 15 years. I feel a bit more settled now and am trying to decide if I should move back to Meath or stay where I am. I was in north Meath and the commute to work was a killer, hence my move.

Thanks

Myself and my partner moved to Leixlip from north Dublin in July 2011.

I have to say, I have found the same for the first while, but after time, you get to know people around. Do you have a dog? If you do, I suggest walking in the grounds of Castletown house, it is a great way to meet people (at least, outside a pub).

You could go to the courtyard, there are plenty of people there and I have made quite a number of friends from going there every few weeks.

I am guessing you work in HP/Intel?

Likewise, my travel from where I was living was killing me in cost, hence I moved here, and since I work for HP, it is only a 3 min drive or a quick walk.

Edit: On that note, about 2 weeks ago we just bought our first house in Leixlip and do not plan on going anywhere any time soon.

I don't know if this would be your thing, but, myself and a few friends (who live in Leixlip too) are going to the Tastes of Dublin in the city centre on Friday evening (we plan to hit town at about 6:30 ish), if you would like to come and join us, you are more than welcome. Just send me a PM :)

Where are you living by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Thanks

Where abouts in Leixlip are you living?

There are a fair few clubs about the place from drama to sports.

The Courtyard is a good spot for a pint or few, as is the Middle shop and Darkies.

is it just you or a couple? Are you renting or have you bought? If you've purchased then you might look into getting a dog (if you are a dog person) there are loads of walks around the place, as karlitto suggested.

Congrats on the purchase Karlitto!

Congrats on the purchase Karlitto!

Thanks Knuckles!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Thanks so much Knuckehead6 and Karlitto. Plenty of food for thought there. I actually work in the city centre and the commute from Leixlip is a breeze compared to the commute I was previously doing.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much Knuckehead6 and Karlitto. Plenty of food for thought there. I actually work in the city centre and the commute from Leixlip is a breeze compared to the commute I was previously doing.

Ah I see,

but yea, I love Leixlip, and am only moving around the corner from where we currently live. (from Castletown to Easton Mews)

I personally prefer Leixlip over, lets say Kells or Navan (only real two places I know in Meath) for several reasons, the first being that Kells and Navan are insanely busy, Leixlip has its days, but over all it is a nice chilled place but still extremely accessible (as you obviously know) to anywhere, trains, busses and so on.

There are awesome little events like "the turning on of the Christmas tree lights" and "the Leixlip festival (which by the way was AWESOME this year)" and generally the community here is very much so "involved" as in the people have a say, there are things such as the previously mentioned events which are set up for the community. I mean, about 6 months after we moved out here, I was sitting in the GAA club beside the school having a pint and out of nowhere, this lady started handing out free sandwiches! Turns out she was one of the junior GAA players mothers and she usually does this when there is a match. Nearly knocked me off my seat, never in my whole life have I seen something like that, no one asked her to make them, she just did.

And I have seen a few instances of something similar since whilst in Leixlip.

But yea, as I said, if you were interested in getting to know some of us in the area, you are more than welcome to join us on Friday after work, just PM me, nice bunch of peeps.

That is really kind of you Karlitto - thanks. Yes I am finding people in Leixlip very freindly, say hello on the street etc. I was living in Kells. It was very busy with traffic up to about 4 years ago but that has changed a lot, particularly since the M3 opened. For a place that is so near Dublin, I do think Leixlip is less of a rat race than other places and with the good weather in the past few weeks it was very pleasant indeed.

That is really kind of you Karlitto - thanks. Yes I am finding people in Leixlip very freindly, say hello on the street etc. I was living in Kells. It was very busy with traffic up to about 4 years ago but that has changed a lot, particularly since the M3 opened. For a place that is so near Dublin, I do think Leixlip is less of a rat race than other places and with the good weather in the past few weeks it was very pleasant indeed.

That's true,

I used to spend a lot of time out in Kells when a buddy of mine was living there before he moved to Blanchardstown. Can't remember the name of the estate he was in, but it was down the road from Supervalue, you had to pass a small garage on the way, the name began with "C" was something like colemans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Hey, youre more then welcome to come to castletown with me and my nutty dog. I always wind up talking to someone.

you haven't mentioned if you like sports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP

We also found it tough

Believe it or not , we joined a local Pitch and Putt club ( attached to a pub although we rarely darken it's doors ) , and that gave us loads of friends and people willing to help when for example we had a flood in the house etc.

I imagine any sports club would be similar.

Welcome to North Kildare !

Thanks to All for your welcome and advise:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Also worth checking out the Library for local talks/events there
    http://kildare.ie/Library/Library/Leixliplibrary/WhatsOn/

the History Club there is full of info and you will meet some long term residents from the area as well with story's of the towns past

Advertisement