Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing jobs and getting a mortgage

Options
  • 11-06-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea how changing jobs would affect mortgage approval from the various banks.

Me and my fiancee are hoping to apply for a mortgage in the next few months but a job opportunity has come up for him and we were wondering how long he would need to be working for the new company before banks would approve us. It would be a permanent job.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

we tried to hire someone into a senior enough position. they declined to take job as apparently it was effecting thier mortgage application, even thought we were offering them a higher salary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

A mortgage applicant would generally need to be out of their probationary period, usually 6 months but can vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks Homer911, I was thinking something similar then someone at work said two years and we got a bit of a fright to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

bee06 wrote: »
    Thanks Homer911, I was thinking something similar then someone at work said two years and we got a bit of a fright to say the least!

It depends on the bank you are applying to as they all have different criteria. If your fiancé is moving to a similar role in the same industry it possible that a bank would consider his income for an application after 3 months if his new employer were agreeable to reduce the probationary period accordingly. I've had cases where AIB were agreeable in these circumstances. The 2 years that someone mentioned to you is that some banks insist you have 2 years continuous employment but not necessarily with the same employer.

Advertisement