Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vancouver check-in

Options
  • 11-06-2013 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Making the move to Van on 10th of July, living for it at this stage, in need of a change in my life and this is it.

Just creating this thread for people who are there, and if you could share your experiences eetc of general stuff (atmosphere, people, jobs, women :p )

All of the people who have moved or are there at present love it, and can't think of coming home now, so I am hoping they are at least 50% right.

Hopefully this thread gets a bit of momentum and we could even sort a meet up sometime.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishcanadian

Ok lets get the ball rolling;

I have been here since 97 (yes I'm in my early 50's) and love it. Would I move back to Ireland..... not a hope.

For younger people (god, I sound like such an old fart !) you should live Downtown/West End/Kitsilano if possible. Although anywhere close to SkyTrain is good. Unemployment doesn't seem to be an issue here. Climate can be a bit miserable in the winter, just like Ireland, summers are nice.

I find the people to be friendly, cant speak about the women (I'm gay and have been with my "husband" for 18 years !)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I just got here on Tuesday. I'm still finding my feet. I sorted out a bank account and tomorrow I'm getting a phone. I'd say tomorrow evening I'll start looking for jobs and tailoring CVs.

I've heard the best way to get a job here is to go in door to door, business to business and get your face out there. You can apply to jobs online all day but you won't get very far.

I still don't know the story with bar work. Do you need the serving it right cert? I've met a lot of people that work on the mines on Alberta and actually got offered a job at that. But I want to stay in the city.

So far the city is amazing. Very friendly people, a bit different, but friendly nonetheless. The views are unreal! Have you had any luck finding work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Peleus wrote: »
    I just got here on Tuesday. I'm still finding my feet. I sorted out a bank account and tomorrow I'm getting a phone. I'd say tomorrow evening I'll start looking for jobs and tailoring CVs.

I've heard the best way to get a job here is to go in door to door, business to business and get your face out there. You can apply to jobs online all day but you won't get very far.

I still don't know the story with bar work. Do you need the serving it right cert? I've met a lot of people that work on the mines on Alberta and actually got offered a job at that. But I want to stay in the city.

So far the city is amazing. Very friendly people, a bit different, but friendly nonetheless. The views are unreal! Have you had any luck finding work here?

Oh sorry you're moving here in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Some good info getting in here.

I have heard many different stories. Me personally I am a graphic designer, I have heard there is work there, and good work at that, and from looking at craigslist there is plenty of freelance to at least keep me going until I get something permanent, ideally I would like to work in a nice agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

And be careful of the sun, It can be vicious this time of year. UV levels go up to 8 or 9 when its really clear. Vancouver has this ridiculous way of telling you the temp. Its taken down by Richmond at the coast. When they say it will be 19c today it is always about 3 or 4 degrees more. Yesterday i got up to 28c several times in the bus. 19 in Van and 19 in Ireland are very different. Last summer I worked on the runway at YVR. I looked like Bob Marley by late August :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I got here about a month ago. I stayed in a hostel for the first couple of weeks and now have found a place in East Van for 3 months. Its a 5 min walk to the skytrain so very handy.
    Currently looking for work but not getting very far atm. Im a mechanical engineer.
    I went to an Irish Newcomers talk yesterday that had a lot of good info. One big thing that I got out of it was that applying to online applications is basically a waste of time. Setting up meetings with the right people or someone who knows the right people seems to be the better way of doing things over here.
    I have to get into that sort of mindset now. Not an easy thing for me to do as I am quite shy usually but I will have to get over it.

Vancouver is a lovely city, the views are incredible and just the other day a group of killer whales swam into the harbour. Sadly I missed them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

BFassassin wrote: »
    I got here about a month ago. I stayed in a hostel for the first couple of weeks and now have found a place in East Van for 3 months. Its a 5 min walk to the skytrain so very handy.
    Currently looking for work but not getting very far atm. Im a mechanical engineer.
    I went to an Irish Newcomers talk yesterday that had a lot of good info. One big thing that I got out of it was that applying to online applications is basically a waste of time. Setting up meetings with the right people or someone who knows the right people seems to be the better way of doing things over here.
    I have to get into that sort of mindset now. Not an easy thing for me to do as I am quite shy usually but I will have to get over it.

Vancouver is a lovely city, the views are incredible and just the other day a group of killer whales swam into the harbour. Sadly I missed them :(

Surprised to hear applying on line is a waste of time! So if a job comes online that you really want should the person find out location and go there personally with cv in hand? How do you set up meetings with the right people? And are these people recruiters? Would love to hear how most people are getting their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

Yes you need the Serving it Right cert. It's an online test and costs $20.

Somebody mentioned unemployment 'not being a problem' - well, yeh, if you hang out in Kits it isn't. Try the rest of the lower mainland and there's plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

zweton wrote: »
    Surprised to hear applying on line is a waste of time! So if a job comes online that you really want should the person find out location and go there personally with cv in hand? How do you set up meetings with the right people? And are these people recruiters? Would love to hear how most people are getting their jobs.

Thats what was said anyway. Especially the online application forms. They are heavily filtered and you need to be saying exactly the right things to get through. The woman gave an example of a vice-president of a company that was retiring applied for his own job and didn't get through the filter.
    I would imagine sending emails direct to the hr manager would have a better outcome or LinkedIn.

I was at that newcomers thing on Saturday too, I've got everything sorted (found a place to move into properly today) so the next step is to start applying for jobs. I'm happy with my CV now after all the tips I've been given so fingers crossed...

• Advertisement

Sacramento wrote: »
    I was at that newcomers thing on Saturday too, I've got everything sorted (found a place to move into properly today) so the next step is to start applying for jobs. I'm happy with my CV now after all the tips I've been given so fingers crossed...

Did you find it hard to get a place and was it expensive?

Did you find it hard to get a place and was it expensive?

I got a place near Main & 41st which is pretty nice, just over $600 per month all inclusive (broadband, electricity, heating etc..) which isn't bad at all. I'm near enough major bus routes to downtown and the Skytrain so I'm happy enough with that. I was lucky in that I had some friends I could stay with while I looked for a place. To be honest, I wanted to see more places but couldn't afford to wait much longer either. Most places will want you to sign a 6 month lease minimum which was the case for me here, but other places do month to month (mostly starting at the 1st of the month) so you can stay in one of those and search around for somewhere better. Craigslist is the way to go.

Good to see this thread getting some motion.

I'd like to hear from some people who came over and got a job. Where did they find the job posting? How did they apply? Etc..

I'm mostly working on some connections I have and also applying on craigslist.

Ya i taught this thread would have been alot busier as alot of people seemed to be heading to van in may/june. Sacramento are you on linked in? I believe its used quite alot over there. What sort of work are you looking for yourself? Are you liking it there so far? Roll on next march:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭pig88

i moved over with a friend in january,the two of us are electricians,we both applied for atleast 20 jobs each in the 1st week on craigslist,1 company got back to me and after the interview I told them about my friend,the two of us are working with them since and have not heard anything from the other jobs we applied for.

I think a mix of all approaches is whats needed, so applying directly by mail, a call, job applications all help.

It does come down to what field you are in, I'm in the creative field so there are a few ways to go about it.

If you have connections then follow them up of course, sometimes it really is who you know, not what you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Anyone involved in insurance in Vancouver then? Trying to get myself sorted out but the lack of all encompassing job website is annoying me, going to set up a Linked In tonight and see if that helps at all but I've never used it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anyone know what jobs are like in Vancouver right now?

Nothing in particular, I have a lot of recent experience in serving/hospitality.

Visa is up in late October anyway so possibly looking at just short-term/random jobs.

Up in Lake Louise right now but since Highway 1 has been damaged because of the Alberta floods, tourism is way down and will be until that road is fixed. Might move to Vancouver for the rest of Summer!

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Anyone know what jobs are like in Vancouver right now?

Nothing in particular, I have a lot of recent experience in serving/hospitality.

Visa is up in late October anyway so possibly looking at just short-term/random jobs.

Up in Lake Louise right now but since Highway 1 has been damaged because of the Alberta floods, tourism is way down and will be until that road is fixed. Might move to Vancouver for the rest of Summer!

Found this the other day. Don't know, it could be helpful.

Vancouver forum

Good luck mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

I moved over here 6 weeks ago found a job laboring for a construction company 3 days later and started 6 days later...

I haven't heard of many people that havent got jobs here but some have taken 4 odd weeks to get a job and that kinda craic so dont be overly worried if ya dont get a job within a couple of weeks! Canadians are generally lazy enough an irish seem to come off pretty well over here in though! So dont be worried about it!

Living on 41st, most ppl try and get place from king edward in towards downtown so its fairly easy to get a place south of that towards the airport... most places come unfurnished though so try and pick things up on craigslist or if ure coming alone check out sharing apts on cl...

p.s. I love it here

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scruffy19

Me and my friend came over here at the start of April and I got work sorted within 2 weeks (Painting and decorating through Craigslist), My mate finished uni last year in construction engineering, but to date he hasn't found anything yet. Hes currently working for Audi moving cars, but hey its money! He applied for a job on the 12th April and only heard word back 2 weeks ago. Canadians seem to be more relaxed about looking for people for some reason!

We were lucky that we had a condo sorted before we came over, so off the plane and into somewhere nice :D We are living in North Van beside the seabus so everything we need to get about is on our front door :)

To be honest I haven't ran into that many Irish people tho!

Scruffy19 wrote: »
    Me and my friend came over here at the start of April and I got work sorted within 2 weeks (Painting and decorating through Craigslist), My mate finished uni last year in construction engineering, but to date he hasn't found anything yet. Hes currently working for Audi moving cars, but hey its money! He applied for a job on the 12th April and only heard word back 2 weeks ago. Canadians seem to be more relaxed about looking for people for some reason!

We were lucky that we had a condo sorted before we came over, so off the plane and into somewhere nice :D We are living in North Van beside the seabus so everything we need to get about is on our front door :)

Ah you made it mate.

Right food shopping hint - On corner of E19th & Lonsdale there is a Persian place. The meat is far cheaper than the supermarkets, as is the groceries. Take for instance... 2 lemons for $1. In the Persian 7 for $1. Further down on East side of Lonsdale between E13 and E14th there is another Persian with a butchers out back. His meat is the cheapest. Next to them is a Chinese grocers, they're cheaper as is the New Apple Farm up opposite London Drugs on W20th next to the fish place. Dont shop in the supermarkets, the rip off would make even Bertie Ahern blush. Especially the IGA down near the Quay.

As for the booze.... i could cry, I want London prices!

Good luck

how much on average for a night out? Whats the pubscene like, any good?

how much on average for a night out? Whats the pubscene like, any good?

Pubs are better than they were.

Its very expensive to go boozing. Good night out, your're looking a 150 - 200 notes. Of course that depends if you drink like Jocky Wilson or Dale Winton

I don't know why but the draught here kills my head next day.

Toronto's nightlife is much better IMO.

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Ah you made it mate.

Right food shopping hint - On corner of E19th & Lonsdale there is a Persian place. The meat is far cheaper than the supermarkets, as is the groceries. Take for instance... 2 lemons for $1. In the Persian 7 for $1. Further down on East side of Lonsdale between E13 and E14th there is another Persian with a butchers out back. His meat is the cheapest. Next to them is a Chinese grocers, they're cheaper as is the New Apple Farm up opposite London Drugs on W20th next to the fish place. Dont shop in the supermarkets, the rip off would make even Bertie Ahern blush. Especially the IGA down near the Quay.

As for the booze.... i could cry, I want London prices!

Good luck

My mate goes up Lonsdale to get meat, but dont actually know where he goes tho but its cheap! We do our shopping in IGA cause its just downstairs and handy but a weekly shop is about 140 bucks between us! Think il take a walk up Lonsdale next week and check them places out, cheers :)
    ciaran67 wrote: »

I don't know why but the draught here kills my head next day.

I find that myself, get a awful hangover the next day! so decided to stick to bottles of beer on nights out

Cheapest night out so far is 50 bucks and the expensive is 245 bucks (memory loss from that night) :D

I've been here two weeks and I'm looking for work, question though, how did your friend get a job moving cars for Audi? Does he have a Canadian driving license already?

I've been here two weeks and I'm looking for work, question though, how did your friend get a job moving cars for Audi? Does he have a Canadian driving license already?

They were advertising on craigslist, but think they are looking more people atm cause two boys left! If ur interested I can ask him to find out the details to apply? Audi is located in the Auto Mall in North Van. We have a UK license cause were from the north, so it was just a matter of swapping his over!

They were advertising on craigslist, but think they are looking more people atm cause two boys left! If ur interested I can ask him to find out the details to apply? Audi is located in the Auto Mall in North Van. We have a UK license cause were from the north, so it was just a matter of swapping his over!

I figured you guys were from Northern Ireland, I'd love the job but unfortunately my license is from the ROI, I can't simply exchange it for a Canadian one :(

• Advertisement

I figured you guys were from Northern Ireland, I'd love the job but unfortunately my license is from the ROI, I can't simply exchange it for a Canadian one :(

Yeah that sucks alright! Iv still to get myself a car but think im going to need one now tho! not looking forward to getting insurance though it will cost a fortune! :(

Advertisement